Can we have a V14 recall?

A. Smith

I am really sorry to hear you are no longer with Accordance, @Mark Allison! I had also been shocked to realize you were gone, but I am glad to hear things are going well for you.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, David Padfield said:

If I would have known that version 14 was going to totally destroy my library, I NEVER would have bought it! I have purchased over $30,000 worth of Accordance books and have spent many hours setting up my library in a way that works for me — and all of the hours I spent arranging the files was wiped out without warning simply by installing the new version of Accordance!

@David Padfield if you have a backup of your preferences (before installing Accordance 14), you can delete 14, reinstall 13, restore the preferences and you will have your library organization restored. This has been detailed on the Forums.

Here is where you find them:

volume name>users>user name>Library>Application Support>Accordance> Accordance Preferences

NB: this folder is with other Accordance files, including your texts and tools. It does not seem to be the active preferences

volume name>users>user name>Library>Preferences> Accordance Preferences

NB: this folder is the active one. Revert this one if you can. I reverted both and it restored my app to pre-Accordance 14 (i.e., Accordance 13) status

volume name is your SDD or HD

user name is your user name

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, David Padfield said:

If I would have known that version 14 was going to totally destroy my library, I NEVER would have bought it! I have purchased over $30,000 worth of Accordance books and have spent many hours setting up my library in a way that works for me — and all of the hours I spent arranging the files was wiped out without warning simply by installing the new version of Accordance!

@David Padfield, the same thing happened to me. If you have a backup, you want to restore Text Library.apref and Tool Library.apref. I've restored these two files; and for my personal use of Accordance, I'm sticking with v. 13 for the time being. 

image.png

• Like 11

@R. Mansfield,

To restore, you delete those files from the normal finder, then in a second finder window with the backup you drag and drop the files from the backup. Is this correct?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

@David Padfield, the same thing happened to me. If you have a backup, you want to restore Text Library.apref and Tool Library.apref. I've restored these two files; and for my personal use of Accordance, sticking with v. 13 for the time being. 

image.png

Rick's method with address the library. I restored all my preferences because I experienced other bugs mentioned in multiple threads. I wanted everything to be as it was before I tried Accordance 14 "early access"

I am happy with Accordance 13 (I even reverted my profile) 😜

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 3

Just now, Kristin said:

@R. Mansfield,

To restore, you delete those files from the normal finder, then in a second finder window with the backup you drag and drop the files from the backup. Is this correct?

Exactly. I had to do the same thing, and it fixed it perfectly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kristin said:

@R. Mansfield,

I used Time Machine and overwrote them. If you want, you can zip everything up if you feel like you need to hold on to a copy of what's current just in case. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

All of us who have used Accordance for three to four years or more know what it felt like to be cared for by Helen, Joel, Rick, Mark, David, Jordan, Silas, and other programmers and tech support people.

Sorry to Dr. J and Dr. Holmstedt, who should also be on this list

• Like 4

To add some reassurance, they are reading these threads, and to echo @Robb B, they’ll respond when they have something of substance to say. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Several of us who work remotely were let go a few months ago. But God is good, and most of us have landed in great places. I'm now the Manager and Solutions Architect for Digital Content at Lifeway Christian Resources. 

@Mark Allison,

Now with you and with @R. Mansfield now leaving, and then your statement, makes me really wonder what is going on with the financials. 

I do thank God you and many others found a good place to land, but this doesn't help us on our end wondering about the viability of Accordance. 

I know that @Nathan Parker is coming online, and that is good. But I am in the same boat as many. I want to wait and see before I buy more. 

And this is not an attempt at threatening or at trying to strong arm. This, to me, is the safest thing to do at this time. As was mentioned by @Rick55, it is an investment. I agree. But I also do not invest and then ignore troubling signs from my investment companies. I stay up with it, make adjustments as needed, move money to other places, but if necessary, cut my losses, or hedge myself, pull out and find somewhere else. This is being a wise steward of what God has given me. As such it is not wise to just sit back, say, "It's a Bible company" and then never have any expectations toward them for providing what is needed to help the "investors" feel secure in their investments. 

As an investor, I want the company, whom I am supporting, to do well. I want them to succeed. But I am also not blind nor can I allow myself to shield my eyes from things I don't like simply because of a company. I have high hopes for the Web Browser. I mentioned elsewhere, it will absolutely give me some more assurance. 

But that is one part of many that I feel should be given, especially to those of us who are active here on this forum. Not because we are being hard nose, or strong arming. But because, as any good company should, they want to keep in touch with their main support base. 

I know they are busy. That is understandable. I know finding good help is hard, believe me, I am very, very aware of that. But I have said this before, and I will say it again, I don't need to know everything right now. In this case, just a little something. But at least give me a note, or a comment, or a statement OR SOMETHING that is giving us an acknowledgment of our concerns and that they will come back to talk with us. Then it actually needs to happen. Don't say, "We hear you, and we will communicate with you in the future" only to disappear and never show back up. That will do more harm than not. 

So while I see many on this thread saying, "be patient, and hold on, and just use the system and be happy", sorry. I can't, not with all of these changes and issues, not without something at least giving us some information. I have very little precious time and I don't want to invest a lot of time and energy into something, that I don't have, when I don't even know if the company is going to be around, or be around in a form that many of us would be happy with. 

I hope what I am saying makes sense, and again, I am not trying to simply jump on the heap here but because I am limited on resources, every penny I spend, every minute I use, every step I take must be weighed on if I feel it is valuable and vital. I believe in Accordance, the Accordance I knew when I first bought in, so that is why I am taking the time now. I want to help but I also do not want to go along without knowing where I am going. 

Hope this is understood in the spirit in which I am saying it. 

• Like 6

What about on Windows? Can one install both side by side and not lose library organization and preferences?

5 minutes ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

And this is not an attempt at threatening or at trying to strong arm....This is being a wise steward of what God has given me. As such it is not wise to just sit back, say, "It's a Bible company" and then never have any expectations toward them for providing what is needed to help the "investors" feel secure in their investments. 

Amen to the entire post @Pastor Jonathan wrote.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

Hope this is understood in the spirit in which I am saying it. 

I think I am of the same spirit. I still have PTSD from the demise of one Bible software company. I really don't want to go through another.

The company doesn't owe customers anything about its financials or whatever. But most businesses realize that sharing such information fosters trust. For instance, I know a much bigger company that recently laid off a large number in its work force. It was certainly regrettable, but it's understandable. We went through a pandemic that threw our world upside down. We're now in the midst of a recession (or some weird economic crisis). How can that not affect businesses when we know it affects individual households (gone to the grocery store lately??). So simply laying people off certainly doesn't mean a company is going into ruin, it just means they might need to make some moves to preserve the functioning of the company. But that other company I'm referring to announced to all of its users exactly what happened (that a large number of people were laid off). They obviously didn't go into all of the details, but it was communicated by the ownership to users, because they knew users needed to still have trust in them. Silence is toxic.

At this point, all I'd like them to say is, "Sorry we pushed version 14. We know you were all anxious for it and we were anxious for you to have it, but it was not ready for primetime. It was not ready for people who rely on our software. We know you depend on reliable software and so we're going to roll it back until we've better tested it and fixed the most problematic bugs."

If there was just that statement, that would go a long way in my book. It would not fix all that I feel is wrong, but it would begin to right the relationship again.

• Like 7

@R. Mansfield, thank you so much! I restored my Text and Tool Libraries from Time Machine and everything works perfectly now!

• Like 7

The substantial events of the past two weeks, in a nutshell:

Those of us who beta tested were asked not to share any discussions about the closed program. But, it’s easy to gather that there were bugs, some were fixed and some weren’t, and Accordance 14 was quickly released to the public. I thought that many of the bugs must have been fixed with the release, but it turns out that they weren’t. And even though I haven’t had that much trouble in 14 for my workflow (which mostly consists reading), many others have.

Then, out of nowhere Rick informed us (in yesterday’s deleted post) that he was leaving in two weeks; then within an hour or so, he said he was leaving in two days (his idea).

So, all some of us are saying is that events of the past two weeks, from the end of beta testing to today, are inexplicable without any sort of explanation from Accordance; and we wonder how such a substantial chain of events haven’t warranted a substantial response yet from Accordance.

I invested in a good product with top quality modules and the best customer service/care. I’m not as concerned about the financial side of my investment (partly because it isn’t even close to the tens of thousands others have invested), as with my investment in Accordance’s customer service, which always provided transparency with the utmost integrity.

No one is threatening or accusing Accordance. If anything, users are just continuing the tradition of speaking to Accordance owners and employees, for mutual benefit. I still think that most users, if not all, want to continue their partnership with Accordance. But if their customer care begins to fall precipitously below previous levels, then the partnership is put at risk. Customer care affects the financials, one way or the other. All some of us want, based on the past, is some transparency and clarity, whatever the facts are and wherever they lead. And we will respond in kind, with whatever Accordance needs. We want to help Accordance succeed.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, KevinPurcell said:

What about on Windows? Can one install both side by side and not lose library organization and preferences?

I have both running on Windows 11 and have not had any issues w/ my library organization.

I have been beta testing, so I have experienced plenty of the other bugs.

1 hour ago, KevinPurcell said:

Can one install both side by side and not lose library organization and preferences?

@KevinPurcell,

I was just getting ready to respond when I saw the response from @mgvh, but I will mention this anyway in case it is helpful:

Regarding installing both, you "can" install v.14 while retaining v.13, but the issue is that there are a lot of functions of Accordance (such as highlights, notes, etc) which are not unique to specific versions. In other words, v.13 and v.14 both use the same highlight file. Thus, if you open v.14 and it has issues which corrupts something, that corruption will remain even if you go back to v.13. The only way to undo corruption is to revert to an actual backup.

Kristin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

To add some reassurance, they are reading these threads, and to echo @Robb B, they’ll respond when they have something of substance to say. 

In my opinion, it's a grave error for Accordance to remain silent and not immediately address the concerns that have been raised. I hope they will offer some response and soon.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rick55 said:

The future for Accordance is bright, please rest assured. Your investments made into the software were wise and honorable as your are seeking to know God more. Change is never comfortable, but it's necessary to reach 'new heights'. Israel did not want to leave bondage in Egypt, because it required CHANGE. If they just listened to God they would have been in the Promise Land much sooner.

Everything will be okay, just keep reporting bugs to ensure the software becomes more stable. Anything that is happening internally is not our business. Our business is the conformation that the Accordance software works properly.

Sorry my post confused so many people! It was not intended to confuse anybody, just provide some reassurance to all users of Accordance.

• Like 5

@Linda Perry Thank you for the video. It helped me be able to work with v14 when I get it installed.

With all due respect, in my opinion this post and link would have been better in a new forum topic referencing video training (?). Certainly not at a 6 page topic wanting a v14 recall and all the posts focused on v14 bugs and communication.

Edited by Larry Wing
  • Like 3

Thank you so much for walking through these new features! I am so glad I upgraded to 14!! <3!

Edited by Rick55
spelling error

1 hour ago, Larry Wing said:

@Linda Perry Thank you for the video. It helped me be able to work with v14 when I get it installed.

With all due respect, in my opinion this post and link would have been better in a new forum topic referencing video training (?). Certainly not at a 6 page topic wanting a v14 recall and all the posts focused on v14 bugs and communication.

Just made a new thread for this.

Edited: saw the thread from Accordance. So fixing this bottom note.

Edited by Pastor Jonathan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

The substantial events of the past two weeks, in a nutshell:

Those of us who beta tested were asked not to share any discussions about the closed program. But, it’s easy to gather that there were bugs, some were fixed and some weren’t, and Accordance 14 was quickly released to the public. I thought that many of the bugs must have been fixed with the release, but it turns out that they weren’t. And even though I haven’t had that much trouble in 14 for my workflow (which mostly consists reading), many others have.

Then, out of nowhere Rick informed us (in yesterday’s deleted post) that he was leaving in two weeks; then within an hour or so, he said he was leaving in two days (his idea).

So, all some of us are saying is that events of the past two weeks, from the end of beta testing to today, are inexplicable without any sort of explanation from Accordance; and we wonder how such a substantial chain of events haven’t warranted a substantial response yet from Accordance.

I invested in a good product with top quality modules and the best customer service/care. I’m not as concerned about the financial side of my investment (partly because it isn’t even close to the tens of thousands others have invested), as with my investment in Accordance’s customer service, which always provided transparency with the utmost integrity.

No one is threatening or accusing Accordance. If anything, users are just continuing the tradition of speaking to Accordance owners and employees, for mutual benefit. I still think that most users, if not all, want to continue their partnership with Accordance. But if their customer care begins to fall precipitously below previous levels, then the partnership is put at risk. Customer care affects the financials, one way or the other. All some of us want, based on the past, is some transparency and clarity, whatever the facts are and wherever they lead. And we will respond in kind, with whatever Accordance needs. We want to help Accordance succeed.

Well said

7 hours ago, KevinPurcell said:

On windows you need to install the Accordance Alpha V13