Can we have a V14 recall?

A. Smith

I found the library menu folders are saved in the following files if you have backed them up:

C:\Users\Colin\AppData\Local\Accordance\Accordance Preferences\

TEXTS

Text Display.apref
Text Library.apref

TOOLS

Tool Display.apref

Tool Library.apref

Edited by cweber

3 hours ago, Robin Reeve said:

I reinstalled v. 13, which works so much better than v. 14.
However, it seems to have imported some "frozen" preferences from the buggy v. 14, such as not allowing to close the program and reopen it with the last session : all is reset to Genesis 1 (which never happened with v. 13 before I installed v. 14). And, of course, I have specified "last session" in the preferences.

This can be extremely annoying, when one has made some extended research.

If you have a backup of your preference folder made before installing Accordance 14, you can restore Accordance 13 back to pre -14 function.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Dynamic Word Study is alone worth the upgrade. It makes performing word studies easier for both advanced users who want everything in an easily accessible pane, as well as for the non-scholar trying to get their feet wet with biblical language word studies.

Custom phrasing is something I would have heavily used during my biblical language classes. I wish I had access to it back then! I’ll still use it.

Easy answers is handy, but some workbooks haven’t been updated to support it yet. Once the team updates those, I may use it more.

Quick-Click Navigation is also handy. I see Wordsearch users loving it.

User Tool Commentaries and Dictionaries plus Unicode Support isn’t something I’ve used yet, but I like the idea of having it if I need it. Always an improvement.

I don’t use Dark Mode at the moment, but Windows users finally get Dark Mode, plus Dark Mode no longer requires restarting Accordance.

Two biggies that still convinced me to upgrade even though, like Apple, we have to wait until later to get: Accordance Cloud and Improved Syncing. Knowing I’ll eventually be able to access Accordance on a web browser, and have better syncing than Dropbox, are two reasons I’d throw money at a pre-order of Accordance, even if I’m not able to get my hands on those features yet.

thanks Nathan. I'm anxious to try...but afraid to jump in yet!

• Like 2

How do you make a backup...I don't see a menu option. Just copy files manually?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gary Pauley said:

How do you make a backup...I don't see a menu option. Just copy files manually?

I navigated to the PReferences folder, control-clicked, and chose the "Compress X" from the pop-up menu, where X is the name of the preferences folder.  This makes a zipped copy and is quick.

• Like 1

I am going to skip reading all of the comments for now. I would strongly suggest that the company would be more public and less coy about the next update and have a broader beta testing campaign. Form what I gather, dropping support for old Mac OS (and Mac OS X) versions indicates there is some significant rewriting of code to modernize the codebase. That is likely to create a myriad of bugs that need to need to be ironed out over longer periods of time.

It would be far more helpful to the Accordance community for the company to communicate what they are working on and recruiting people to help test on a broader level like what Apple does with their public betas. I know Accordance previously used the Accordance Aleph program to test betas, but until recently I was using an iPad as my primary computer and don't know if they are still doing that. I think it's more important to communicate beforehand and recruit help than to wow us with new features and annoy with bugs. This is more important with MacOS releases creating new bugs with every release.

• Like 4

Dropping old OS versions? 

Edited by Gary Pauley

On 11/23/2022 at 6:15 AM, A. Smith said:

Dropbox doesn’t work. Seemingly dozens of features are broken in one way or another.

I installed 14 along 13 and Dropbox syncing is working for me. This computer has been in my possession for around 2 weeks, so less "clutter" to cause problems. I don't even have the Dropbox desktop client installed. I am fearful for what bugs I am going to run into as I put my nose to the grindstone in sermon prep today.

5 minutes ago, Gary Pauley said:

Dropping old OS versions? 

14 requires Mojave (10.14) or higher. While not the latest OS, It's newer than the 10.12 requirement for version 13. I am purely speculating about the code changes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I installed 14 along 13 and Dropbox syncing is working for me. This computer has been in my possession for around 2 weeks, so less "clutter" to cause problems. I don't even have the Dropbox desktop client installed. I am fearful for what bugs I am going to run into as I put my nose to the grindstone in sermon prep today.

Dropbox, for me, has always been a question mark. I've lost important notes more than once. Sometimes this was a result of accordances arbitrary limitation on note lengths (which is not disclosed); other times it was a result of something going wrong with dropbox. It's working fine on v13 right now. v14 has enough other problems (aside from not syncing my db) that I'm not even bothering with it until these things are better resolved. Notes are one of the core features I use in Accordance. I can't risk that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

Notes are one of the core features I use in Accordance. I can't risk that. 

In your area of ministry and level of detail of study, there is no reason to take that risk. Also, I hope you have an uptime to date Time Machine backup.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

In your area of ministry and level of detail of study, there is no reason to take that risk. Also, I hope you have an uptime to date Time Machine backup.

I have two! Plus iCloud. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Michael J. Bolesta said:

If you have a backup of your preference folder made before installing Accordance 14, you can restore Accordance 13 back to pre -14 function.

I don't know where to find it...

• Like 1

I really feel bad for the developers working on Accordance. Programming and bug tracking is really tough work. Deadlines and bug fixes don’t always go hand in hand. I am sure they are feeling the pressure of the issues being raised. Some of them no doubt had terrible Thanksgivings because of how things got rushed. It’s not their fault per se. They simply did not have time to finish the work before it got released. I hope that management learns from this. It would have been far better to do a soft launch with a public beta rather than a full release being announced in a marketing email with so many issues and documentation outstanding.

I’d like the emphasize the importance of this app working correctly and well. It’s not a little hobby app or time wasting game. There is significant kingdom work being done with Accordance. It’s just good stewardship of Jesus’ resources to do this well and not rush it.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

I really feel bad for the developers working on Accordance. Programming and bug tracking is really tough work. Deadlines and bug fixes don’t always go hand in hand. I am sure they are feeling the pressure of the issues being raised. Some of them no doubt had terrible Thanksgivings because of how things got rushed. It’s not their fault per se. They simply did not have time to finish the work before it got released. I hope that management learns from this. It would have been far better to do a soft launch with a public beta rather than a full release being announced in a marketing email with so many issues and documentation outstanding.

I’d like the emphasize the importance of this app working correctly and well. It’s not a little hobby app or time wasting game. There is significant kingdom work being done with Accordance. It’s just good stewardship of Jesus’ resources to do this well and not rush it.

As we say here, mia mia! 💯💯

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

Well said!!!

• Like 1

I'm not mad at all.  I truly enjoy Accordance and Accordance 13.x.  I know it is a holiday, but I'm kind of surprised of the utter silence from the Accordance team.  They chose to release a few days prior to a holiday.  I've worked holidays for four decades as a pastor, this is ONE release.  Seems that they should have been ready to support when they released 14.  Please Accordance we who support you are looking forward to hearing from you!

57 minutes ago, Robin Reeve said:

I don't know where to find it...

@Robin Reeve

volume name>users>user name>Library>Application Support>Accordance> Accordance Preferences

NB: this folder is with other Accordance files, including your texts and tools. It does not seem to be the active preferences

volume name>users>user name>Library>Application Support>Accordance> Accordance Preferences

NB: this folder is the active one. Revert this one if you can. I reverted both and it restored my app to pre-Accordance 14 (i.e., Accordance 13) status

volume name is your SDD or HD

user name is your user name

Hope this helps.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 1

I think I will attempt a deep uninstall from my Mac and reinstall the app from scratch.

Now, it doesn't even display a bibliography style choice in my preferences, etc.

Installing v. 14 created havoc, to the point that all my settings were changed and some blocked, even when installing v. 13 again.

Happily, I have a Windows laptop where I didn't install v. 14 - and it works fine (even though I prefer the Mac interface).

I cannot understand how v. 14 was launched with so blatant flaws. But whining won't change anything.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I hope that management learns from this.

Well said in that entire post, @Joe.

I'd like to add one suggestion for the project managers: Once things have settled down with the Accordance 14 release, please budget time for the dev team to assess where test coverage is lacking in the product which allowed the specific bugs that have been reported to slip by. My understanding is that the Accordance desktop client is based on an incredibly legacy codebase, which probably means there are years, if not decades, of accumulated technical debt. Please give the devs some time in the coming year to address this debt so that automated test coverage can be improved (even if it means you might have to defer a feature or two in the roadmap for the next release). Let them do what's necessary to make the Accordance 15 release so flawless that no one will even remember these threads exist. :)

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, klein said:

Back to 13. I have to work. Can't spent my time with all kind of issues. 

same for me unfortunately

15 minutes ago, klein said:

Back to 13. I have to work. Can't spent my time with all kind of issues. 

2 minutes ago, Dan12 said:

same for me unfortunately

Same here, as I am doing work which I cannot afford to risk being corrupted.

• Like 1

I am going to take a slightly different take on this.

First, I don't know how many of the bugs are Accordance, or how many are due to running in a VM. So I cannot say which system is the culperate.

Second, there were three things that made me buy 14 early: Dynamic Word Study, The Cloud, and The custom phrasing.

I have tried the Word study and it is pretty nice. Haven't really delved beyond preliminary study.

The Custom Phrasing, do I make those or does the computer? I cannot figure it out so will need direction on what I am doing wrong. But if it isn't me, then.this is not working for me.

Lastly, I want to Beta the Cloud. I use Blue Letter Bible, Lumina Bible, and Bible Gateway.

I love the Bible selection of Bible Gateway, I LOVE the tools of BLB. And I love how notes, links, and other stuff can be saved on a cloud server for.me to log in and pick back up with my notes.

If Accordance Cloud gives me the Bibles, my Library, and the ability to save notes, hyperlinks, maps, charts, etc on a cloud server so I can draw it up on another computer, I am all in! The dynamic word study would be a cherry on top.

But in order for the rollout of the cloud, I agree with the poster who said that Accordance should bring more of this community into play.

This area could possibly help bring more Linux users...if done right. 

13 minutes ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

The Custom Phrasing, do I make those or does the computer?

You move the curser to the section of text you wish to work on, then the click on the gear icon and note the new option of phrasing just below the show interlinear option. Hovering over the phrasing option will now show tools to adjust text positioning. You are in total control of the process.

Now the fun part. I am not sure how insertion points and highlighting work with this so experiment.

Have fun,

—Joseph 

Edited by Solly
  • Thanks 2