Can we have a V14 recall?

A. Smith

Yes I believe you can. Go to download on a reinstall v.13.  of if you have a backup drag the app into the application.  Rick Mansfield says you can rename v.14 before reinstallation and have the two versions available for use.

7 minutes ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

Yes I believe you can. Go to download on a reinstall v.13.  of if you have a backup drag the app into the application.  Rick Mansfield says you can rename v.14 before reinstallation and have the two versions available for use.

do you know how to rename accordance?

20 minutes ago, Robb B said:

I've been using Accordance since 2005 and version 6. For everyone worried about Accordance because of the way 14 rolled out, let me reassure you that this is not that abnormal, especially when they want to get this out for ETS/SBL. One of the things we love about Accordance is that it's not a corporate machine like that other company, and so I don't expect the same level of communications work when a new version drops. It will eventually all be available, maybe in about a month, if they follow past rollouts. I don't work for OakTree and have no inside information, but I am not at all concerned about the company because of how 14 was released.

I've also beta tested every version of Accordance since version 8 (I think), and the number of bugs here isn't unusual either. The team has made massive improvements to 14 since the first betas, and I am confident any significant bugs will be squashed in days or weeks, not months. Once again, this is all in line with my experience with Accordance over the years. 

David, Rick, and Roy are all still active at the company, and they've been there a long time. The owner might have changed, but the key players are still in place, and that continuity is great for the company and the consumers.

All in all, 14 is a solid release. If you're concerned about some bugs, wait to upgrade until 14.02 or 14.03 (or whatever it ends up being in a week or two). But as someone who uses Accordance every day, I have 14 installed on both of my Macs and it has worked quite well.

I disagree. I do not recall any beta that was released to production with so many identified serious bugs that remained unfixed. I think that the push was to release during SBL and that push over rode quality control. I think many would have rather seen them demo at SBL but hold off releasing until the serous bugs were fixed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan12 said:

do you know how to rename accordance?

You'll find Rick instructions on this thread... 😊

Scroll down to near the bottom of page 1. 👍

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

It would be nice to see Accordance management address this issue and make a commitment to not let this happen again. 

When Bibleworks closed shop, I chose Accordance over Logos because there were many things I could do in Accordance that were either not possible or limited in Logos. I, like many here, really want to see Accordance succeed and I am worried that those don't use the features that differentiate Accordance from the competitors will jump ship when they see a release like this one. 

While I expect that Accordance will eventually fix the most serious bugs, they could end up loosing Market share while these bugs exist. Many people use Accordance daily for their work and some of these bugs can cause a significant loss of productivity. 

I would strongly recommend that Accordance put a hold on version 14 until they have a more stable product. 

It would be good to hear something from the Accordance team about this roll out and address everyone's concerns.   I love Accordance and too want it to succeed.  I bought if for my sons when they started preaching. 

Having said that this release has been disappointing.  I sync material to my Ipad to use in teaching, but dropbox doesn't work.  I created a User Tool to use today and did the mobile sync to get it on my mobile device since dropbox doesn't work.   I can't use the User tool because it requires a yet to be released iOS update.  It seems to me that better planning would have released 14 when it was compatible with the iOS app. 

I have had numerous crashes since updating.  Hoping to see some updates very soon. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dan12 said:

so is it possible to downgrade?

Yes. Just re-download 13 and start it up. I just reverted back to 13, as there were too many buggy things going in 14 to have to keep redoing things to make it work. I'll wait a couple of weeks and try 14 again. Hopefully, by then they'll have a majority of the bugs swatted.

• Like 1

I've also downgraded to accordance 13. So much waiting and money for this... I still have hope for accordance. I hope they get everything fixed soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robb B said:

I've been using Accordance since 2005 and version 6. For everyone worried about Accordance because of the way 14 rolled out, let me reassure you that this is not that abnormal, especially when they want to get this out for ETS/SBL. One of the things we love about Accordance is that it's not a corporate machine like that other company, and so I don't expect the same level of communications work when a new version drops. It will eventually all be available, maybe in about a month, if they follow past rollouts. I don't work for OakTree and have no inside information, but I am not at all concerned about the company because of how 14 was released.

I've also beta tested every version of Accordance since version 8 (I think), and the number of bugs here isn't unusual either. The team has made massive improvements to 14 since the first betas, and I am confident any significant bugs will be squashed in days or weeks, not months. Once again, this is all in line with my experience with Accordance over the years. 

David, Rick, and Roy are all still active at the company, and they've been there a long time. The owner might have changed, but the key players are still in place, and that continuity is great for the company and the consumers.

All in all, 14 is a solid release. If you're concerned about some bugs, wait to upgrade until 14.02 or 14.03 (or whatever it ends up being in a week or two). But as someone who uses Accordance every day, I have 14 installed on both of my Macs and it has worked quite well.

I really want to agree, but I just can’t. I mean, you’ve said you use it in both your macs? And how are they synced since even Dropbox isn’t working with v14? The most basic thing I need to use v14 between my devices is broken. As is sync with mobile. It’s literally unusable for me. 

• Like 1

I don’t have an extra test machine at the moment, but someone who does, give this a try:

1. Download Accordance 13 from the link posted in this page.

2. Copy the app to your Downloads folder.

3. Rename the app “Accordance 13”.

4. Copy it to your Applications Folder.

5. Launch Accordance 13, quit it, then launch Accordance (Accordance 14) and ensure both can successfully launch without issues.

These are for a Mac. I wouldn’t know how to do it on Windows. I know there’s a feature on Windows that allows one to run an app in a sandbox. Someone might be able to figure out a way to get Accordance 13 running in a sandbox on Windows (although it would mean temporarily keeping two sets of books/files on the machine unless someone can figure that one out with some form of file sharing).

I repeat I have not tested this myself yet. I’m just wondering if this works for those who may need Accordance 13 for “mission critical” work plus want to run Accordance 14 on the side until the bugs have been squashed (I did download 14.0.1 tonight), especially until the holidays are over and Accordance staff is able to perform extra support.

I’ve had a few minor issues with Accordance 14, but nothing that’s stopping me from performing “mission critical” work at the moment. Will keep testing with 14.0.1.

I’m with Robb and not too concerned about the amount of bugs in Accordance 14 or the direction of Accordance in general. Accordance was trying to get it in for ETS/SBL, and with Thanksgiving hitting this week, it’s been a bit of a wonky time for a release to hit. There’s always out-of-the-gate issues, so those who haven’t installed it yet could simply wait until after the Thanksgiving holiday, and some of the remaining bugs should be squashed shortly. From what I heard from Accordance staff, it seemed to be a “soft release” for those who pre-ordered so get they could get their hands on it during ETS/SBL, then a more “general” release to the public is coming when Accordance announces the new v14 packages.

46 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

I don’t have an extra test machine at the moment, but someone who does, give this a try:

5. Launch Accordance 13, quit it, then launch Accordance (Accordance 14) and ensure both can successfully launch without issues.

These are for a Mac. I wouldn’t know how to do it on Windows. I know there’s a feature on Windows that allows one to run an app in a sandbox. Someone might be able to figure out a way to get Accordance 13 running in a sandbox on Windows (although it would mean temporarily keeping two sets of books/files on the machine unless someone can figure that one out with some form of file sharing).

I repeat I have not tested this myself yet. I’m just wondering if this works for those who may need Accordance 13 for “mission critical” work plus want to run Accordance 14 on the side until the bugs have been squashed (I did download 14.0.1 tonight), especially until the holidays are over and Accordance staff is able to perform extra support.

I’ve had a few minor issues with Accordance 14, but nothing that’s stopping me from performing “mission critical” work at the moment. Will keep testing with 14.0.1.

I’m with Robb and not too concerned about the amount of bugs in Accordance 14 or the direction of Accordance in general. Accordance was trying to get it in for ETS/SBL, and with Thanksgiving hitting this week, it’s been a bit of a wonky time for a release to hit. There’s always out-of-the-gate issues, so those who haven’t installed it yet could simply wait until after the Thanksgiving holiday, and some of the remaining bugs should be squashed shortly. From what I heard from Accordance staff, it seemed to be a “soft release” for those who pre-ordered so get they could get their hands on it during ETS/SBL, then a more “general” release to the public is coming when Accordance announces the new v14 packages.

This will work so long as you don't save a workspace with v14 specific features (like a word study window). You can run both on the same machine (so long as you've renamed one of them), which is what I'm doing, in order to check bugs and monitor updates. 

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

If Accordance 13 and 14 are sharing the same user-data folder, a problem in one version can corrupt the data for the other version. Sharing the same user data exposes the data to the bugs of both versions. It would be prudent to backup all user data before trying to run both versions on the same computer.

• Like 2

I am not a power user (yet) and not noticing anything that I am particularly concerned about with installing v14. Accordance did cite regression testing was not at the level they would like due to resource limitations and they did ask for Beta testers to help out, and I also recall a mention of DropBox not being supported in the release?

I do not know of any software updates in my 40 years exposure to IT and software development, that did not have issues that quick patches were not able to resolve (whether a fast update is great long term is another topic); also a dilemma with waterfall versus Agile projects. I hope Accordance can keep on top of any customer defined critical issues during this time of year. I am grateful this is not a government production or they might have spent unfathomable sums of money and had a worse result; an not uncommon outcome when tax payers foot the bill. i.e. I am hopeful Accordance are doing what they can with the funds available; nobody wants to see this version fail.

I performed multiple backups before upgrading and do not rely on Accordance for a living so my stress level is a lot lower than others might have at this time.

Is there a forum post listing the issues so far that we can observe a list of concerns to watch out for?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cweber said:

Is there a forum post listing the issues so far that we can observe a list of concerns to watch out for?

This would be a helpful idea… I’m sure even the developers would appreciate having a single thread to read to follow.  I may may pick this up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

This would be a helpful idea… I’m sure even the developers would appreciate having a single thread to read to follow.  I may may pick this up.

There are two, one for windows and one for macs. Here is the link for windows

https://forums.accordancebible.com/forum/81-bug-swatters-windows/

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 7:03 AM, JohnABarnett said:

when I launch it the window extends across both my monitor. I have to drag the window around just to find a place to grab and resize it manually. But the next time I launch it it's right back to being oversized like it was before. Is there some setting I need to change?

Hi @JohnABarnett,
I don't think anyone addressed this, so I just wanted to add my two cents. I would personally follow what others have mentioned and re-download v.13 from the website. That stated, if what you wrote is your primary concern, but otherwise you are ok using v.14, I would recommend sizing the window how you want, than save it as a workspace. I don't think this would be different for Windows, but (how I would do it on a Mac), Accordance --> Preferences --> General --> then for "Startup" change it to open with the saved workspace you created at the correct size. This might not work since the sizing issue is obviously a bug, and bugs often do not respect preferences, but it might work as a temporary solution until they come out with the bug fix.

I think Accordance could learn something from the gaming sector. If resources are limited, which they clearly are. Then a wider involvement, in the development of the software, could be implemented by making an early access version for all who want to participate. I support Accordance because they are a small company. Logos is dominating the market, and a monopoly of any kind is neither good for a company nor a consumer.

The sale they had on during the summer, which included a free upgrade to v14, could have been a free upgrade to the early access version of the software. To succeed with early access, there has to be a good dialogue between developer and customer. I feel the Accordance community wants to contribute in every way they can. Myself included. Change the current version to early access, and create a space where we can highlight issues and receive updates on a regular basis. Early Access can start from open beta, which progresses to Alpha and then a final release. The final release will be a polished product because the company and community have both been actively involved. There is no shame in taking a few steps back. Because it will mean 10 steps forward later. 

• Like 8

@Ryan Appleyard I think Accordance may have been trying to accomplish something along these lines with the release of Accordance 14 this week, although the wording wasn’t as clear as they probably wanted it to be due to the rush to get it out during ETS/SBL and before Thanksgiving. From what I implied from communications from Accordance staff, Accordance 14 seemed to do a “soft release launch” to pre-ordered users as kind of an “early access” to Accordance 14 in between the beta test period and a more complete public launch when Accordance launches the v14 collections.

In Accordance 15, Accordance could take the feedback you gave on how to clarify wording an early access release system and implement it for Accordance 15. There could be three “tracks” for Accordance 15:

• Accordance 15 Beta: Users who want to beta test Accordance 15 knowing there will likely be major bugs in the system can signup to become beta testers. Additionally, Accordance could release the beta access earlier in the pipeline than some previous beta releases, as well as take a page from Logos and offer a deadline in which beta testers can report major bugs to be resolved before Accordance ships a public build.
  • Accordance 15 Pre-Order, “Early Access”: Those who pre-order Accordance 15 could, like you say, receive “early access” to Accordance 15. It would be more stable than a beta, but still could contain some bugs that need to be ironed out before a general release. Those who want to get in on a pre-order discount could still pre-order Accordance 15 at the discount, but choose not to install the upgrade until the “general release” ships.
  • Accordance 15 "General Release": Anyone who didn’t pre-order the upgrade could purchase Accordance 15 during the “general release” stage. This is also when the v15 packages could be announced, and by then, the majority of the bugs would likely be resolved in Accordance 15 (they could call the “general release” 15.1, and start using .0 releases for “Early Access" edition and .1 onwards releases for “General Release” editions). Those who did pre-order for the discount but chose not to install the “Early Access” edition could install the “General Release edition.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

@Ryan Appleyard I think Accordance may have been trying to accomplish something along these lines with the release of Accordance 14 this week, although the wording wasn’t as clear as they probably wanted it to be due to the rush to get it out during ETS/SBL and before Thanksgiving. From what I implied from communications from Accordance staff, Accordance 14 seemed to do a “soft release launch” to pre-ordered users as kind of an “early access” to Accordance 14 in between the beta test period and a more complete public launch when Accordance launches the v14 collections.

In Accordance 15, Accordance could take the feedback you gave on how to clarify wording an early access release system and implement it for Accordance 15. There could be three “tracks” for Accordance 15:

• Accordance 15 Beta: Users who want to beta test Accordance 15 knowing there will likely be major bugs in the system can signup to become beta testers. Additionally, Accordance could release the beta access earlier in the pipeline than some previous beta releases, as well as take a page from Logos and offer a deadline in which beta testers can report major bugs to be resolved before Accordance ships a public build.
  • Accordance 15 Pre-Order, “Early Access”: Those who pre-order Accordance 15 could, like you say, receive “early access” to Accordance 15. It would be more stable than a beta, but still could contain some bugs that need to be ironed out before a general release. Those who want to get in on a pre-order discount could still pre-order Accordance 15 at the discount, but choose not to install the upgrade until the “general release” ships.
  • Accordance 15 "General Release": Anyone who didn’t pre-order the upgrade could purchase Accordance 15 during the “general release” stage. This is also when the v15 packages could be announced, and by then, the majority of the bugs would likely be resolved in Accordance 15 (they could call the “general release” 15.1, and start using .0 releases for “Early Access" edition and .1 onwards releases for “General Release” editions). Those who did pre-order for the discount but chose not to install the “Early Access” edition could install the “General Release edition.

i thought it was a soft launch. Until it went out on a general sale email and on the website. This was a fumble pure and simple, I’m sorry to say. And it has spoiled the v14 excitement and experience for most of us. As well as undermining trust in future features and releases. It can be fixed. And trust can be restored. But it’s a shame. 

• Like 1

I am still looking forward to 14, I'm glad that I missed the release emails (I found them in my Junk folder).  I would have downloaded right away.  Now after reading the comments in this forum I'll wait a couple of weeks.  A stable version is critical for me.  I use Accordance every day and need it to work.  Are there some new features in 14 that any of you did like?

• Like 2

I'd like to hear what people were wowed by also...

• Like 1

Dynamic Word Study is alone worth the upgrade. It makes performing word studies easier for both advanced users who want everything in an easily accessible pane, as well as for the non-scholar trying to get their feet wet with biblical language word studies.

Custom phrasing is something I would have heavily used during my biblical language classes. I wish I had access to it back then! I’ll still use it.

Easy answers is handy, but some workbooks haven’t been updated to support it yet. Once the team updates those, I may use it more.

Quick-Click Navigation is also handy. I see Wordsearch users loving it.

User Tool Commentaries and Dictionaries plus Unicode Support isn’t something I’ve used yet, but I like the idea of having it if I need it. Always an improvement.

I don’t use Dark Mode at the moment, but Windows users finally get Dark Mode, plus Dark Mode no longer requires restarting Accordance.

Two biggies that still convinced me to upgrade even though, like Apple, we have to wait until later to get: Accordance Cloud and Improved Syncing. Knowing I’ll eventually be able to access Accordance on a web browser, and have better syncing than Dropbox, are two reasons I’d throw money at a pre-order of Accordance, even if I’m not able to get my hands on those features yet.

• Like 3

Accordance 14 is entirely pre-released.

I reported heaps of bugs in the Beta testing forums which were not fixed before release!

Hope you will catch up soon!

In the meantime, we can run 13, and you can also use 13 and 14 together if you simply copy and paste the Accordance folder and make two shortcuts.

@Anonymous,

I just wanted to mention, while it is possible to run 13 and 14 at the same time, I know that the program is more susceptible for crashing since both versions are sharing certain aspects such as highlights and notes. (This applies to running 12 and 13 at the same time as well). Another thing to consider, however, is that bugs which occur in 14 may also cause issues for 13. For example, I had zero highlight problems with 12, yet since the highlights were corrupted in 13, even if I went back to 12 I would still have the corruption brought on by whatever caused the issue in 13. (I am not a programmer, but hopefully the Accordance team was able to address the highlight issue a lot of us experienced with 13, with the release of 14). Point being, back up your work regularly if you are going to run both versions.

• Like 2

I reinstalled v. 13, which works so much better than v. 14.
However, it seems to have imported some "frozen" preferences from the buggy v. 14, such as not allowing to close the program and reopen it with the last session : all is reset to Genesis 1 (which never happened with v. 13 before I installed v. 14). And, of course, I have specified "last session" in the preferences.

This can be extremely annoying, when one has made some extended research.

• Sad 1