Can we have a V14 recall?

A. Smith

So it seems v14 is quite far from being Accordance quality. At least I hope this is not the sort of thing the typically excellent A-team has intended. Dropbox doesn’t work. Seemingly dozens of features are broken in one way or another. The help Menu isn’t even updated to go with the new version. Tbh, it’s a bit ridiculous. 

I’ve installed v14 beside v13 by renaming v13. I don’t think I’ll be using v14 for some time until there is solid documentation that the laundry list of bugs (some of which are substantial) has been reasonably addressed. 

If this is what the Accordance team

wants to do, fine. I think it’s a bad move. I think it hurts your reputation. Especially for new buyers who may come into v14 as their first Accordance experience. 

But even if that is the case, can you please officially put out an option to revert to v13 for those who installed v14 over it? Maybe a disclaimer to come with v14. Basically, it feels like we’ve all been made unwitting beta testers. 

This isn’t really for me. I’ve still got v13. But I se others who are definitely getting the short end of this update and it’s a very negative experience. 

• Like 6

I certainly agree, V14 is NOT Oak Tree quality! As much as I love Accordance and have invested substantially in it, I will NOT be using V14!  I still have V13 and will use it when needed!

Bob

• Like 4

This release makes me nervous for the future of the software/company. They needed to knock this out of the park given the progress being made and huge market share on the other side. I’m the only person I know still using Accordance out of dozens who are elsewhere. The problem is the switching cost is too high.

Edited by Spencer
  • Like 3

I am also concerned that the volume of bugs seem higher in 13 and 14 then I remember in 12 and earlier - I know that Accordance ownership changed hands and Roy Brown no longer owns the company - I know we can't expect anyone from Accordance to comment but I do hope that the new owners aren't forcing faster release schedule which then causes the bugs... I don't know the value of my library but suspect it is in 5 figures and so really need accordance to stay healthy and in business... I don't like the opposition for a variety of reasons nor do I believe that they would ever offer the sort of rescue plan as Accordance did for Bible Works... so v14 has worried me and I guess just need to pray that the Accordance team are fine and the company healthy

• Like 3

I appreciate that users have hit a number of bugs in v.14.  I've been more fortunate in that my experience has been much more positive.  I would hope we can be a bit more patient as the developers get to work on the issues.   They have already released an update a day after release and I'm sure we will see many more to come.   Please remember to report any known bugs through the correct forum section.    It's important to remember that Accordance is still an outstanding programme and if v.14 is just too unstable for you, then reverting back to v13 for a few weeks might suite you.   

• Like 5

This is indeed concerning. Did not know there was new ownership in place. I am a long-time Accordance user, love it, have invested much in it. As a retired senior I would not be able to crossgrade if the situation demanded it, so here's hoping this is a temporary setback.

My wife and I bought the v14 upgrade during the presale. But after installation when I launch it the window extends across both my monitor. I have to drag the window around just to find a place to grab and resize it manually. But the next time I launch it it's right back to being oversized like it was before. Is there some setting I need to change?

Hopefully this will be corrected soon. I can work around it for now, still, it seems a basic function.

• Like 3

I should add that this sort of thing seems to be happening with other software companies that have a long tradition of solid releases.

My hobby is arranging and composing using virtual orchestral instruments, and perhaps the very best quality-controlling company just had to recall an update for one of their flagship products.

The world is indeed shifting dramatically around us. An observer can never be sure exactly what is behind the onset of innumerable problems with things we have long taken for granted, he can only note that it is happening.

Thankfully, we have God himself as our king, and through Jesus Christ he has brought his people into a kingdom that cannot be shaken.

God be with you, Accordance team, as you labor on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would assume that the release timing was chosen to coincide with SBL/AAR 2022. 

48 minutes ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

I appreciate that users have hit a number of bugs in v.14.  I've been more fortunate in that my experience has been much more positive.  I would hope we can be a bit more patient as the developers get to work on the issues.   They have already released an update a day after release and I'm sure we will see many more to come.   Please remember to report any known bugs through the correct forum section.    It's important to remember that Accordance is still an outstanding programme and if v.14 is just too unstable for you, then reverting back to v13 for a few weeks might suite you.   

Which is what I’m saying, except that it should be an officially supported option to regress to v13 by offering it on the downloads page. I’m fine. I can run both. But others cannot. And still others may upgrade without realizing they’ve become beta testers. 

• Like 4

Just now, A. Smith said:

Which is what I’m saying, except that it should be an officially supported option to regress to v13 by offering it on the downloads page. I’m fine. I can run both. But others cannot. And still others may upgrade without realizing they’ve become beta testers. 

also, the quick update is great. But holidays in the US begin tomorrow. I’d expect not to see another fix till next week unless they go overtime. 

5 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

https://www.accordancebible.com/download-accordance/

Accordance 13 there.

• Like 4

Many of these bugs are not obscure but obvious; it seems like the testers (beta?) would have seen these immediately— did something change between the testing period and the release?

Many were seen earlier. 

Bob

• Like 1

I have only been using v 14 for a short time and have not fully put it through its paces - but actually having a positive experience nd not too unstable. Write liked the word study function as well. Everything can always be improved but I'm relatively happy with v14 so far

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leopold Green said:

I am also concerned that the volume of bugs seem higher in 13 and 14 then I remember in 12 and earlier - I know that Accordance ownership changed hands and Roy Brown no longer owns the company - I know we can't expect anyone from Accordance to comment but I do hope that the new owners aren't forcing faster release schedule which then causes the bugs... I don't know the value of my library but suspect it is in 5 figures and so really need accordance to stay healthy and in business... I don't like the opposition for a variety of reasons nor do I believe that they would ever offer the sort of rescue plan as Accordance did for Bible Works... so v14 has worried me and I guess just need to pray that the Accordance team are fine and the company healthy

When was the company sold?   I’ve noticed that Joel, Helen, and David Lang don’t post much any more.  Could be they have shifted their focus to other areas in the company and left the forum to others, which is understandable.   It does make me wonder if the old (and excellent) guard is phasing out?

• Like 1

it was sold over a year ago - there was some discussion on the forum - if I remember correctly Roy Brown still has a minority stake - I think the owner is a Christian book publisher

If my comments on ownership breech forum rules then I apologise profusely... I am only interested in the health and longevity of Accordance

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Leopold Green said:

it was sold over a year ago - there was some discussion on the forum - if I remember correctly Roy Brown still has a minority stake - I think the owner is a Christian book publisher

If my comments on ownership breech forum rules then I apologise profusely... I am only interested in the health and longevity of Accordance

The fact that this was utterly unknown to most people without any broad announcement, in itself, concerning. It means they're concerned about ramifications of announcing it.

• Like 3

I didn't read that into it - I think it was low key in that we the users shouldn't even notice - however empirically I think I can see a change since the change of ownership and that is why I am now a little nervous about the longevity and health

18 minutes ago, Leopold Green said:

I didn't read that into it - I think it was low key in that we the users shouldn't even notice - however empirically I think I can see a change since the change of ownership and that is why I am now a little nervous about the longevity and health

I wasn't aware of that but that news is a bit disconcerting.  I will say that from my vantage point as a consumer and user of Accordance, this rollout seemed kind of sloppy.  

• Like 2

I think those concerned will be watching closely as to how this is handled and to future releases.  It could be that the current crew is doing the best they can with what level of support they have from new leadership.

I don’t want to be a summertime soldier, but I am concerned enough to have been checking out tutorials on other Bible program platforms.  I’ve been with Accordance for about 15 years and I cannot recollect having a version rolled out like this.  

No doubt there could be a myriad of factors that made this a subpar release and (hopefully) an one-off anomaly.  Time will tell and for now I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 7

I've been using Accordance since 2005 and version 6. For everyone worried about Accordance because of the way 14 rolled out, let me reassure you that this is not that abnormal, especially when they want to get this out for ETS/SBL. One of the things we love about Accordance is that it's not a corporate machine like that other company, and so I don't expect the same level of communications work when a new version drops. It will eventually all be available, maybe in about a month, if they follow past rollouts. I don't work for OakTree and have no inside information, but I am not at all concerned about the company because of how 14 was released.

I've also beta tested every version of Accordance since version 8 (I think), and the number of bugs here isn't unusual either. The team has made massive improvements to 14 since the first betas, and I am confident any significant bugs will be squashed in days or weeks, not months. Once again, this is all in line with my experience with Accordance over the years. 

David, Rick, and Roy are all still active at the company, and they've been there a long time. The owner might have changed, but the key players are still in place, and that continuity is great for the company and the consumers.

All in all, 14 is a solid release. If you're concerned about some bugs, wait to upgrade until 14.02 or 14.03 (or whatever it ends up being in a week or two). But as someone who uses Accordance every day, I have 14 installed on both of my Macs and it has worked quite well.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Robb B.  Well said, this was also my own take on the take on the situation.  But you have summed it up very well.  I think it is important to keep things in. context. Thanks again.

13 minutes ago, Robb B said:

.... All in all, 14 is a solid release. If you're concerned about some bugs, wait to upgrade until 14.02 or 14.03 (or whatever it ends up being in a week or two). But as someone who uses Accordance every day, I have 14 installed on both of my Macs and it has worked quite well.

• Like 5