Search Help

jarcher

Friends,

I'm just starting to use the search tools in Accordance now that I have the tagged LXX and GNT.

I am wondering if someone could assist me in a search.

I'd like to find all instances of prwtotokon (from Col 1:15, 18) that is not translated in an English version as 'firstborn.'

I originally tried searching the LXX and then doing another [Link -] or [Hits -] search but it says that the language is different.

My next question is a bit different. I'd like to find all instances hghsato (Phil 2:6) in which it is not used with an infinitive.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Jeremy Archer

I'd like to find all instances of prwtotokon (from Col 1:15, 18) that is not translated in an English version as 'firstborn.'

This search is possible only in a key number text such as the KJVS, NAS95S, or NIV-G/K. For example in KJVS you would search for: [KEY G4416]@-firstborn.

The shortcut to arriving at that search argument is to fins Col 1:15 in the KJVS, select "firstborn", and press option as you click the Search button on the Resource palette.

The new window searches for [KEY G4416]. Then you add @-firstborn to the argument and press OK.

I originally tried searching the LXX and then doing another [Link -]or [Hits -] search but it says that the language is different.

Sorry, I do not understand why you searched the LXX.

My next question is a bit different. I'd like to find all instances hghsato (Phil 2:6) in which it is not used with an infinitive.

This one you do in the tagged Greek NT such as the GNT-T. Again, there is a short cut.

Select the word in Phil 2:6 and click Search. The new window finds all forms of that lemma. Click after the word in the argument entry box, select Verb... from the Enter Grammatical Tag submenu of the Search menu, select Infinitive from the Mood pop-up menu and click OK.

You get the search argument: ἡγέομαι@ [VERB infinitive] which finds all infinitive forms.

To find all forms except the infinitive, enter a minus between the @ and the Verb tag: ἡγέομαι@ -[VERB infinitive] and click OK.

I suggest that you explore the section of the tutorial in the Help menu called Advanced Searches, or look at the similar section of the Accordance Mini-Manual, so that you grasp the principles of these and other searches.

Friends,

I'm just starting to use the search tools in Accordance now that I have the tagged LXX and GNT.

I am wondering if someone could assist me in a search.

I originally tried searching the LXX and then doing another [Link -] or [Hits -] search but it says that the language is different.

Actually, apart from what Helen has already said, there is a way to do cross-version, cross-language searches. I may be wrong, but I think that is what you were after. To do that you need to use the [CONTENTS] command.

For example, let's suppose you search for prwtotokos in LXX1. If you type the Greek word just like that, Accordance will search for the lemma, finding a total of 132 hits in 107 verses.

Now you could duplicate the window (Command-D), change the search version to, say, KJV, set your search range to Old Testament, and write the following into the Search entry box: firstborn <NOT> [CONTENTS LXX1]. As a matter of fact, you don't even need to type everything. Simply type "firstborn", and then press Shift-Command-N followed by Shift-Command-C, and you should get the whole search string.

After clicking the OK button (or pressing Intro/Return on your keyboard), you'll find 11 hits (in 11 verses) where the KJV contains "firstborn" and the Septuagint does not use the Greek lemma "prwtotokos". In other words, the [CONTENTS] command matches the verses found in the first search window. Thus you can use it to find words that do or do not (as in this particular case) appear at the same verse (i.e., location) in different versions.

Hope this helps.

Archived