Highlighting specific vocabulary lists in Hebrew texts

Brittany Wolter

Hello,

I am a Masters student at Multnomah University, doing educational research on using a teaching technique called Extensive Reading in Biblical Hebrew classrooms.  Currently, I am trying to make measurement instruments and intervention reading materials but am finding the process extremely time consuming. It would help me a lot if I could have all of the students' learned vocabulary words already highlighted in the biblical text.

Is there anyway to take a vocabulary list and have Accordance highlight all of the words on that list? The vocabulary list is from the first semester portion of Learning Biblical Hebrew Reading for Comprehension: An Introductory Grammar by Kutz and Josberger. It contains around 440 words; roughly verbs, nouns and adjectives of 25+ occurrences, and some adverbs of unknown frequency.

Next best solution: Is there anyway to highlight all words of a certain frequency level?

Thank you so much for your help!

Brittany Wolter

B.A. Hebrew & TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) - Spring 2021

M.A. TESOL - Fall 2024

Edited by Brittany Wolter

Would this work?

use the COUNT command to search for frequency levels

the right click on one of the hits and choose highlight all hits

choose analysis to get a list of all the words in the search from which you can sort alphabetically or numerically

you can also isolate parts of speech using the @ with a tag ([VERB] @[COUNT 25-50] )

I think the following search highlights only verses that contain no words that are bellow 100 occurences for example. Not sure if that helps

count.thumb.png.46f2808c89758d7c3fd344206f4bed6c.png

count3.thumb.png.f2910654d1712787451fbbe6d0719545.png

Not sure how accurate this is, but I just pasted the first 450 Vocab words from BBH in there. May be you can do something similar, if you have them in a database.

BTW, I am having way too much fun with this :)

• Like 1

you can also customize your view to isolate the hits by part of speech, which might be helpful

image.png

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 1:51 PM, Schulschlus said:

count3.thumb.png.f2910654d1712787451fbbe6d0719545.png

Not sure how accurate this is, but I just pasted the first 450 Vocab words from BBH in there. May be you can do something similar, if you have them in a database.

BTW, I am having way too much fun with this :)

@Schulschlus This is amazing!!! I have all the vocab in a database. Did you simply paste them into the search bar with "words" selected?  

yes, the only downside to this is that words with the same consonants probably do not give the wanted result. I assume for example that רֵעַ would also highlight רַע and I am not sure about verb inflections either.

Words with same consonants would be an issue.... I'm not too worried about verbs, I'm going to do read-throughs to find the weak verb forms and that shouldn't take too long.  Thanks so much for your help!  I'm going to play around with it this morning and see if I can get a good routine going!

Edited by Brittany Wolter