SALE! Bundle of Savings: IVP + MORE!

R. Mansfield

Grab a BUNDLE OF SAVINGS up to 55% off IVP and other titles for your personal Accordance Bible Software Library!

Β 

πŸ‘‰πŸ½ IVP Christian Fathers Bundle (59 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Ancient Christian Texts (15 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (29 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Encyclopedia of Ancient Christianity (3 volumes)β€”51% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Ancient Christian Doctrine (5 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Ancient Christian Devotional (3 volumes)β€”49% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ With The Church Fathers Series (4 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ IVP Bible Dictionary Series (8 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ IVP Biblical Studies Bundle (7 Works)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ IVP Pocket Dictionaries Bundle (15 Works)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ New Studies in Biblical Theology (42-volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ IVP Theology Bundle (11 Works)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ IVP Lost World Series Bundle (6 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ IVP Spectrum Multiview Books Bundle (13 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ IVP Counseling Bundle (6-works)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ The Historical Jesus: Five Views (Spectrum Multiview Series)β€”52% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Essentials Bundle: Old Testament Essentials & New Testament Essentialsβ€”52% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Berkouwer, Studies in Dogmatics (14 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ George Eldon Ladd Bundle (8 volumes)β€”40% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ The Works of Dietrich Bonhoeffer (16 volumes)β€”55% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Walter Brueggemann Bundle (23 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ John Warwick Montgomery Bundle of 33 Worksβ€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ John Warwick Montgomery Apologetics Bundle (9 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ John Warwick Montgomery Philosophy & Ethics Bundle (8 Volums)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ John Warwick Montgomery Teaching & Writings Bundle (9 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ N.T. Wright Bundle of 5 Works from Fortress Pressβ€”40% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ N.T. Wright Bundle of 2 Works from InterVarsity Pressβ€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Marilyn Chandler McEntyre Bundle of 5 Worksβ€”43% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Martyn Lloyd-Jones Bundle of 4 Worksβ€”40% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Ryken, Reading the Bible as Literature (4 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Annotated Luther (5 volumes)β€”49% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Martin Luther’s Works (volumes 31-54)β€”41% OFF!

Β 

For more information, please see this post at the Accordance Blog!

Β 

Discounted prices listed in this sale are valid through 11:59 PM ET, Monday November 7, 2022.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:34 PM, R. Mansfield said:

πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Ancient Christian Texts (15 volumes)β€”50% OFF!
πŸ‘‰πŸ½ Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (29 volumes)β€”50% OFF!

Β 

Can someone help me to understand the differences between these two items (ACT-15 and ACCS)?Β 

21 hours ago, docdave said:

Β 

Can someone help me to understand the differences between these two items (ACT-15 and ACCS)?Β 

ACT translates complete commentaries by ancient Christian writers, while ACCS collects quotes relevant to a particular verse or series of verses. An ACT volume is something you can sit down and read, because it has a logical flow. ACCS does not necessarily have any logical connection between successive quotes, because they’re by different people who may have a different approach to or a different interest in the passage. ACT does not cover all of Scripture, and in most cases, you only get one author’s commentary on a book. ACCS covers nearly every passage that some ancient writer took an interest in, and usually has quotes from multiple authors on a passage.

Edited by jlm
Fixed typo
  • Like 2

I will add the following to what @jlmΒ has said.

Β 

ACT also contains new translations of ancient commentary texts as well as first time translations in English of texts previously only available in other languages. More about it can be found here:

Β 

https://bestcommentaries.com/series/ancient-christian-texts-act/

Β 

ACCS uses a range of texts and authors to comment on the text which gives it at wide breath of insight but as said above not one consistent voice of a single Ancient author. More about it can be found here:

Β 

https://bestcommentaries.com/series/ancient-christian-commentary-on-scripture-accs/

Β 

I therefore use ACCS to find out what a variety of Church Fathers thought about a verse or passage just like I might listen to a sermon by a particular preacher on the same passage/verse. It won't be for the same insights as a full commentary but I still find it very helpful.

• Like 2

This quote from the Introduction of ACCS explains a bit more in detail what I summarised above

Β 

β€œWhile some books of the Bible are rich in verse-by-verse patristic commentaries (notably Genesis, Psalms, Song of Solomon, Isaiah, Matthew, John and Romans), there are many others that are lacking in intensive commentaries from this early period. Hence we have not limited our searches to these formal commentaries, but sought allusions, analogies, cross-connections and references to biblical texts in all sorts of patristic literary sources. There are many perceptive insights that have come to us from homilies, letters, poetry, hymns, essays and treatises, that need not be arbitrarily excluded from a catena. We have searched for succinct, discerning and moving passages both from line-by-line commentaries (from authors such as Origen, Cyril of Alexandria, Theodoret of Cyr, John Chrysostom, Jerome, Augustine and Bede) and from other literary genres. Out of a surfeit of resulting raw materials, the volume editors have been invited to select the best, wisest and most representative reflections of ancient Christian writers on a given biblical passage.”

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:30 AM, docdave said:

Β 

@jlmΒ and @Michael HuntΒ have answered this question well. I would only add from my personal perspective that I treasure both of these resources. They are one of only a small handful of series I own in both digital and print form. I love ACCS not just for its excerpts of patristic perspectives, but also because it provides links to sources where I can read more. And most of the commentaries in ACTS, with a couple of exceptions, by design aren't translated in English anywhere else.

• Like 2

Last chance to save up to 55% on titles from IVP + more essentials for your personal Accordance Library. Special pricing ends at midnight EST tonight!
Β 
Β