Every translation/gloss of a Hebrew or Greek word in every English Bible

Michel Gilbert

I searched Accordance Help but couldn’t find what I’d like to do: I would like to choose a Hebrew or Greek word and find out how it is translated into English in every English Bible that I own/license, with accompanying stats for each Bible and all the Bibles together.

Is that possible?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi @Michel Gilbert,

If I am understanding your question correctly, it should be. Just highlight whatever word, then Amplify --> Text Browser. Doing so will bring up a parallel screen showing "All Text" and you can create a group for your text of English Bibles. I am not 100%, but I think this is addressing your question.

Kristin

1460795021_Bildschirmfoto2022-10-14um08_56_25.png.0f6c2fb2ed5272da32f5e724e079771a.png

• Thanks 1

I don't know that you can everything you want in a single step (every Bible version at one time).

I do think you want to use the TEXT command.

• Open an English version
  • In command line, right click: > Enter Command > TEXT
  • When the box opens, choose the Greek or Hebrew text you want to search
  • Click on Insert Text dropdown > Enter Lexical Form
  • Choose lexeme > OK
  • Enter to run command
  • Open Analytics > Analysis to display all the ways that Greek/Hebrew word has been translated in that English version
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Kristin. As far as I know the Text Browser only works for a verse at a time and I use it quite often.

Thanks, Mark. That is what I'm looking for. Too bad we can’t analyze all of the versions in a single step, just for a quick overview (for something I’m writing).

Thank you both, again.

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Hi @Michel Gilbert,

Regarding the Text Browser only working a verse at a time, I am not 100% sure what you mean, as the text browser will scroll along with whatever your base text is, as any parallel Bible would.

I do want to mention though, in the text browser you can actually set a range of verses which it shows. I can attach a screenshot in case this is relevant for you.

Kristin

647961508_Bildschirmfoto2022-10-14um11_00_54.png.f8ebe66c7a4421c67f6a9d5e02c89354.png

Hi Kristen. I thought you might question this. I didn’t mean it hyper-literally, but I was commenting on the Text Browser’s suitability for the type of search I want to run.

For instance, if word “x” occurs 237 times in the OT in 17 of its books, I want to see that it is translated as “a” 157 times, as “b” 52 times, etc. The Text Browser is not suitable for this. It is more suited to seeing how a word is translated in the same verse in different Bibles, whether or not you increase the range of the verses.

So when I said the Text Browser works for a verse at a time, I meant that I could only find how a Hebrew or Greek word is used in a certain verse at a time, and increasing the range wouldn’t change this. In the case of word “x” that occurs 237 times, I would have to use the Amplify > Text Browser 237 times to see how it is translated in all of my English Bibles.

I also said "as far as I know," which means that I might be wrong about this. Mark’s search gives exactly what I want, except I wish it could give results for all my Bibles in one go. As it is, I would have to run Mark’s search a dozen or so times and copy and paste the analytics.

Another option is to perform a key number search in a Research tab (with obvious limitations). Open up the bar chart in analytics and switch the display to "Word." 

image.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Jordan! I will definitely use this too.

Hoi Jordan

How can your search work in the german schlachter 1951 bible? As far as I know, the only german bible with keys is the Leonberger. 

• Like 1