Poll: Dock Location

Dr. Nathan Parker

Quick poll: Where is your Dock located on your Mac (bottom, left, or right), and do you have auto-hiding on or off?

Right now, I have it on the bottom, and I don’t have auto-hiding on, but wondering if I should make any changes.

Thanks!

Bottom BUT auto hide turned on!
Are you constantly opening programmes? If not, I think you need to consider making changes!

I tend to only work on one project at a time so only open relevant  programs for the project im working on at the time so for example:

if in lightroom i won't have word open but may have acrobat and possibly photoshop.

I will typically have word and notes open with accordance.

with sibelius i will only have word or acrobat open.

even with indesign, its unlikely i will have more than notes, word or acrobat all open at the same time.

when im working i typically dont want to be bothered by emails or the internet but if i need to will usually use the ipad if i need to research something.

However, my wife also has it at the bottom BUT auto hide turned off like you.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Bottom, Autohide off.

• Like 1

Been bottom auto hide for as long as I’ve used a computer but I just started experimenting with left to keep it out of the way 

• Like 1

Always left and never hidden. Why?

i) Most of my work is reading right to left.

ii) I always work with five to ten programs open.

iii) Every app already has a taskbar at the top and app icons at the bottom interfere even more with a clean workspace. (I wish we had the option to auto-hide parts of Accordance’s taskbar at times).

• Like 1

At the bottom and usually on.

I use multiple desktops with one program per desktop (usually 4 or 5 programs running at the same time). I also use a unique background for each desktop, which helps me know where I am currently among the desktops. ;)

• Like 2

Mine is on the bottom with auto hide on. I have tried other places and the bottom just seems natural and right to me ...

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback! To answer one question, I’m not constantly opening apps. Even then most of the time I use LaunchBar to open them. I tried Spotlight and LaunchPad in the past, but I love how I can assign particular keystrokes to LaunchBar for apps and documents.

I run some apps in full screen mode as well (where the Dock does hide) so I can take better advantage of my iMac’s beautiful display. 🙂

Side question: Anyone have auto-hide enabled for the menu bar?

No… Its much handier to see the apps at glance.  Wi-fi, battery, time, etc,.  But I do use bartender and hide the apps I don’t need. A clever little utility. 

• Like 2

There are a couple i also run in full screen but other than that leave the menu bar. 

• Like 1

Bottom, autohide off for both dock and menu bar. I tried putting dock on the left side since there’s extra screen real estate left/right vs top/bottom, but it just felt more natural to have it at the bottom. Docking on the side is also awkward when you’re running multiple monitors, which I usually I am. 

• Like 1

Left, with auto-hide off. 

My vertical screen-space is always more limited than the horizontal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

But I do use bartender and hide the apps I don’t need. A clever little utility.

I use a program called Vanilla to do the same thing

• Like 1

Great. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Kristin said:

I think I am the only one keeping it on the right, auto-hide off.

Not the only one, Kristin! That's my preference as well but mostly because l'm a southpaw

• Like 1

Moved it back down to the bottom since I had trouble training my brain to put it on the left. Still doing auto-hide though which is giving me more screen room.

• Like 1

I also think that unless you have a square monitor, the icons have a bit more soace to breathe as there is more width along the bottom. The other thing is i have been very selective in what i put on the dock and some apps i use very infrequently are still only accessible for me via finder.

enjoy playing!

;o) 

at the bottom and never hidden - on iMac 27" screen I only find I want/need to go into full screen for Lightroom and Ulysses - everything else, inc Accordance works just fine windowed - I do use spaces though which segments the varying types of apps/activities