Anyone have a workspace that is set up like Bible Works?

Teddy24

One big obstacle is that you can’t do multiple rows of zone tabs like BibleWorks had. Perhaps in 14?

Edited by Brian W. Davidson

I was a longtime BibleWorks user. (And I still use it for some things neither Accordance or Logos can do!)

I have something that approximates what I used to do in BibleWorks, but my layout in Accordance now actually works better. Do note that Accordance was very responsive to people migrating from BibleWorks and added such excellent features as Live Click which quickly gets you to the Verse Lookup (which was like the BibleWorks standard parallel verses view) and Lexicon Lookup (like the left side Analysis tab in BW). I can either use the Instant Details at the bottom or the hover/hold for quick info. I open up the Info pane as needed. For searches, I have everything go to a new tab (and this does make more sense to me and allows me to navigate around texts and context more easily). Also the use of Tab Ties allows for linked resources. I also split my left side (top / bottom) as you can see in the graphic that allows faster access to everything.

My goal is to maximize my screen space and have quick access to the stuff I use. I do also use multiple workspaces, so I have a different layout if I'm working with Hebrew Bible /LXX texts.

AccordanceWorkspace.png

• Like 4

Someone asked me off the forum, but I will share here the things I still miss most from BibleWorks (and these are things Logos cannot do either).

• All the translations and so many other resources I had in BW. There is the Accordance Exchange, but there were just lots more on the BW exchange, and they were much easier to import w/ proper formatting.
  • One resource that I have encouraged Accordance to acquire as a good starter lexicon for my students is Danker’s Concise Greek-English Lexicon that was standard in BW.
  • User notes in BW were so much better supported, used a universal format (RTF which made it easy to backup and share), and had so many more formatting options like a regular word processor.
  • Text export: Neither Accordance or Logos have the kind of text export options that BW had. I still use BW when I want to get interleaved texts that I can use in Word. (Accordance does it make it nice with its Copy As options for specific words and verses.)
  • Word List manager was such a fantastic feature in BW. I still use it. One can easily export/import search results, compare lists of words...
  • Verse List Manager again was the easiest way to do some comparisons of sets of verses.
  • Checkboxes for Search results is easier than having to create a Stack to select only hits I want.

Accordance does have lots of features that BW never did, and it is lots easier for my students to learn and use. Maybe we will see some new features in version 14! That Word Study feature they've already displayed looks very helpful!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mgvh said:

User notes in BW were so much better supported, used a universal format (RTF which made it easy to backup and share), and had so many more formatting options like a regular word processor.

+1 for text-based formats across the board. Even if the format is proprietary to Accordance, it makes it much easier to work with, especially with backups (I'm looking at you, highlight file corruption :)).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mgvh said:

Someone asked me off the forum, but I will share here the things I still miss most from BibleWorks (and these are things Logos cannot do either).

. . . And let’s not forget Holladay’s concise Hebrew lexicon, a user lexicon, and an unpointed Hebrew Bible with Strong’s numbers to link to Holladay or HALOT.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mgvh said:

There is the Accordance Exchange

Be careful with installing items from the Accordance Exchange. I had a corruption that took hours to recover from using one of the tools from there. There may be a version issue going on.  We need a sandbox to test with but I do not want to create another computer installation to test with.

One more thing I'm hoping for Acc 14 that was standard in BibleWorks:

• Use pre-composed Unicode Greek characters instead of combined characters. It usually looks okay when using a standard font like TimesNewRoman, but accents and breathing marks end up out of place. Here's what it looks like just pasting Greek text directly into this forum.
  • Accordance: Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος,
    BibleWorks: Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, 

• (If you are unfamiliar with Unicode, there are assigned characters for every Greek letter with whatever breathing mark, accent, and iota subscript that appears in the texts. I.e., each letter is pre-composed to look exactly like it should. The other way to do it is to using combining characters. E.g., ῇ = an eta with a iota subscript and a circumflex is actually a combination of those three characters. Some fonts don't know how to quite place them correctly.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mgvh said:

• Use pre-composed Unicode Greek characters instead of combined characters. It usually looks okay when using a standard font like TimesNewRoman, but accents and breathing marks end up out of place. Here's what it looks like just pasting Greek text directly into this forum.

• (If you are unfamiliar with Unicode, there are assigned characters for every Greek letter with whatever breathing mark, accent, and iota subscript that appears in the texts. I.e., each letter is pre-composed to look exactly like it should. The other way to do it is to using combining characters. E.g., ῇ = an eta with a iota subscript and a circumflex is actually a combination of those three characters. Some fonts don't know how to quite place them correctly.

Or at least have a setting to use pre-composed characters when copying. In theory, decomposed forums should be displayed the same way, but the practice hasn’t caught up with the theory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mgvh said:

Yes!!!!  I hope so as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mgvh said:

Yes, please! This actually changed a few years ago if I'm not mistaken. When I first began using Accordance it exported Greek as pre-composed characters. Then 4-5 years back (?), the decision was made to use combined characters. I've had trouble with this ever since, depending on what font I'm using or what word processor. Perhaps @Mark Allison could speak to this.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:51 AM, mgvh said:

Same! The issue of Greek accents (tonos [what Accordance currently uses] vs oxia [what BibleWorks uses from the text copied above]) causes problems for me when copying from Accordance.

• Like 1