Diagramming/Phrasing

Dalton

Hello Accordance, 

I’ve been using accordance for a few years now and have been studying in the original languages for about a decade. Let me first say that I love Accordance and recommend it to everyone who is looking for bible software to aid in biblical studies, particularly in the original languages.

I’m assuming you would know and understand most of what I’m about to say, but want to make sure I’m communicating clearly. One of the most important aspects of original language study is syntax. The grammatical relationships between clauses reveal the structure of the argument of a passage and thus reveal the main point(s) of a passage. The most helpful approach to studying a passage to discover its structure is block diagramming, sometimes called phrasing. Diagramming a passage is one of the key components for the study a pastor does on a week to week basis.

That being the case, I would really love if Accordance gave some attention to the diagramming tools in its software. To be frank, the current modules are unhelpful and clunky. The diagramming software on Biblearc.com is much more useable and user friendly. I say this not to shame or compare, but to give an example of what I think accordance could do. In fact, I’m almost certain the folks over at biblearc.com would love to partner with Accordance. It would aid myself and many others if the strengths of the two were combined. Please consider this a friendly suggestion with the sincere desire to improve accordance.

Thank you, 
Dalton Vansell
  • Like 1

Hi Dalton, thanks for identifying this resource, it looks useful :) 

I have written technical papers during the many years I worked in research, and yet I have embarked on a journey to uplift my English capability before studying Biblical languages.  I looked at some of Accordance modules about sentence structure and realised I am lacking the skills to pursue Greek appropriately. Accordance has been great for highlighting to me areas of study. However, I also think the Accordance product presents as a collection of modules at times and I welcome any improvements to functionality.

Edited by cweber

5 hours ago, cweber said:

Hi Dalton, thanks for identifying this resource, it looks useful :) 

I have written technical papers during the many years I worked in research, and yet I have embarked on a journey to uplift my English capability before studying Biblical languages.  I looked at some of Accordance modules about sentence structure and realised I am lacking the skills to pursue Greek appropriately. Accordance has been great for highlighting to me areas of study. However, I also think the Accordance product presents as a collection of modules at times and I welcome any improvements to functionality.

Do you plan to study Greek or more study? Have you heard of the Biblical Language Center? 

24 minutes ago, Teddy24 said:

Do you plan to study Greek or more study? Have you heard of the Biblical Language Center? 

I am winding down towards early retirement and am in the early stages of planning personal studies. Living regionally without access to formal academia and financially constrained I chose to invest in Accordance libraries than attend university. I am now reviewing what other resources are available before developing a strategy to learning more. Thanks for directing me to that site :) 

• 3 weeks later...

It's my understanding that the soon to be released version 14 of Accordance will contain some major updates specifically regarding the phrasing tools. I hope this is the case.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very excited for it. I'm hoping additional phrasing/arcing/bracketing tools can be added in later as well