Frustrating bug when typing tags with Hebrew keyboard

Accordance Enthusiast

Hi there,

I really appreciate Accordance and use it almost every day. However, I hope you could correct this bug in the near future:

When I work across various platforms and websites, I use the standard Hebrew keyboard. It is mostly compatible with Accordance but not fully. When I type in a Tag in the command line, I hold Shift to ensure English letters are typed instead of Hebrew. This mostly works, as you can see below:

image.thumb.png.9d5c115f5df6ae7809c627f868c36336.png

However, there is one letter that does not work! I cannot type in the letter "A" using this technique:

image.png.5b6736cb2646cd229109dfa89324fc9b.png

Now it types "QvL" instead of "QAL," etc. This is frustrating me. Now I have to switch from The Hebrew keyboard through Greek, Syriac, back to English, and then back to Hebrew to work on the next site / platform of research.

Hope you can sort this out soon,

Shalom.

• Like 2

Hi @Anonymous,

I agree this sounds like a bug that they will need to address, but in the meantime I just wanted to mention something that might act as a workaround. When I am needing to type in a different language then the keyboard layout I am using, I figure out what key the keyboard wants me to press for the letter I want. For example, the Y and Z are flipped on a US and DE keyboard, so if I am typing on a different keyboard then I am used to, lets say I want the Z, then I just remember that if I want Z I need to press a Y on that specific keyboard. I think that might be less obnoxious then needing to scroll through multiple keyboards like you are describing.

I hope this helps some until they can officially address the bug.

Kristin

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't find any workaround:

image.png.c8bba42ea072d8c3e47a0878051e4eba.png

I've tried all the letters,

Shalom

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you open the keyboard viewer? I know how to do this on a Mac, but I am not sure how to on Windows. I assume it is possible. If you are able to open the keyboard viewer and see all the keys, look at the keyboard viewer, then see how the keys shift if you press random keys such as SHIFT, OPTION, COMMAND, etc. Pressing these will change the keyboard layout. I may be wrong, but I think it is likely that the vowel is hidden in a key combination, such as needing to press OPTION first, or something.

Without the viewer, I suppose you could do what you did in your screenshot a few times, trying it with the random key combinations. It would just be clearer on the viewer in case you need to press a number or punctuation something.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

Thanks for the information, but it does not work. 

The problem is with Accordance and not with the keyboard. Here is the Hebrew Keyboard with Shift:

image.thumb.png.1167f1fb329425e079f83e01586099e2.png

If works well on Microsoft Word etc.

image.png.27daad907f62a7c80b5018df63adc53f.png

Could Accordance staff please check and reply to this topic?

Shalom

Hi @Anonymous,

Since I use a Mac, I can't really mess with the keyboard, as I think my layout is different than yours. I am sorry I can't think of other ideas, but I agree that @Tech Support might be able to help.

Kristin

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'll look into it. Thanks! I need to test on 14.0.8 Windows, correct?

5 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I'll look into it. Thanks! I need to test on 14.0.8 Windows, correct?

Its on all the windows versions I've had for the last two years or so.

These issues have been present in Accordance for years. I've discussed this matter with @Joel Brown and haven't got much headway.

Truly, it's an interesting issue because you have a search entry box with a syntax that deliberately combines RTL and LTR text. Complicating this, it supports a kind of Hebrew keyboard layout derived from QWERTY.

My strategies here:

• Enter tags and commands using hotkeys in Hebrew mode
  • Enter Hebrew letters using my system Hebrew keyboard, which I find less confusing.

There's no silver bullet here and any kind of forward progress is going to need a clean break from the current input system, IMO.

This is indeed my biggest frustration in using Accordance for Hebrew based searches.

I use a biblical Hebrew keyboard along with the accordance menu system for search commands and symbols.

But it's a bit like cleaning the floor with a toothbrush.

I have tried using a word processor followed by copy and paste but the RTL and LTR nature mixes everything up.

My suggestion is that the Hebrew character window be expanded to include search menu commands and symbols.

Or have a clickable (search character) window able to be left open with every search command and symbol one click away...

15 hours ago, dandennison said:

There's no silver bullet here and any kind of forward progress is going to need a clean break from the current input system, IMO.

Search entry box for Hebrew is a nightmare.  Always use construct searches for Hebrew and Greek.

Postscript: FBI used silver bullets in Miami April 11, 1986.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew