Library Management - Module User Tagging & Comments and Hide/UnHide

cweber

1. Please consider a mechanism for a User to Tag and enter Comments for library modules.

2. I would also like to Hide/UnHide nominated modules perhaps per specified tagged term(s).

I envisage a new option(s) next to the 'Copy this module's information' icon. I imagine new preferences will be required too.

image.thumb.png.832ac143d90eb74e84bf24a5c683c6a4.png

I'd like to add metadata and classify each module according to my own viewpoints and enter comments that explain my reason for the classification defined at that point in time. As I progress in studies I anticipate wanting to update some of my Tags and comments, ideally keeping the previous history.

I currently use Library folders and My Groups to achieve something similar to above. However, this approach is inconvenient and clumsy. As my library has grown and continues to do so the volume of Texts and Modules is arduous to navigate and classify. The above approach to library management via metadata would be very useful.

• Like 3

Another desirable feature of Tagging would be a preference to omit specifically Tagged text/modules from all searches. If I feel the material is compromised then I certainly am not interested in that same material appearing in my search results.

Yes, let us edit the tags. And the displayed name of modules.

• Like 1

I'd also like to Tag and comment on each author too please.

18 hours ago, cweber said:

To what extent and how do you see it working?
are you thinking about only their single volume commentaries or writings, eg tom wright?

or are you thinking about every entry within your library? For example, the authors already have some tagging in both the oxford commentary and where listed, in the eerdmans dictionary but surprisingly they are not in the jewish study bible either for their commentary notes or for their essays. But you cant add a comment which you have also requested. 

66C02327-CED5-423A-9983-A174268D6E5F.jpeg

CF58095F-2FE8-4E8A-8F86-1AF51BB4CA10.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

On 9/8/2022 at 7:42 PM, cweber said:

1. Please consider a mechanism for a User to Tag and enter Comments for library modules.

2. I would also like to Hide/UnHide nominated modules perhaps per specified tagged term(s).

I love both of these ideas! Especially since there are a number of "demo" modules I don't need as I have the full version already. Similarly, I don't need the Chinese, Portuguese, Italian, or Romanian bibles that came with whatever collection I purchased forever ago. Hiding them would be awesome, especially if it could be cross-platform.

17 hours ago, cweber said:

I like this too, but I fear for the likelihood of implementation; it sounds like a ton of work.

14 hours ago, ukfraser said:

single volume commentaries

I was really just thinking about this at a high-level, module specific. There are some authors I have no interest in reading their comments and would like to exclude them entirely and if that means hiding that module I am okay with that because it is a "configurable" personal choice.

9 hours ago, cweber said:

There are some authors I have no interest in reading their comments and would like to exclude them entirely

Over the years i periodically do a bit of housekeeping and delete things like that and other resources i am unlikely to use from my library. I can always easy install should i change my mind. That way it takes up less disc space and i have less to scroll through looking for what i want so i have three very different installations on my phone, pad and mbp. I can see an advantage in hiding items but I just prefer deleting if ive decided im not going to look at them.

there has been a separate request that we can hide things from easy install list so are not constantly seeing resources we have decided we dont want to install. 

Edited by ukfraser

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a large enough quantity of modules, I find it can be overwhelming to work through and want to maximise my efforts on the most important material. I have been making time to devise a way to classify my modules (Texts/Tools) and eventually remove unwanted modules, enhance my use of the Library Menu and create My Groups to sort my collection; including identifying Public Domain libraries.  Below I show it is possible to harvest data from your installation and use that information to classify your libraries.

The systems and tools I have worked with these recent years have me considering the changes to programming. The following article summaries my thoughts on the matter.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-programming-will-change-over-the-next-10-years-5-predictions/

Rather than program in a formal language I decided to investigate the validity of the direction commented about in the above opinion piece. My choice was to try Microsoft's latest Power Automate Desktop. I warn programmers it is difficult to de-tune your thinking :)

This image are the flows created to make copies of the XML files Accordance uses and harvest the data for Excel or a database.

image.png.20a6ccd9e3d76b4208a8d3862f4dd58a.png

These next two images are samples from Excel of my Text and Tools data.

image.thumb.png.81d2beb9dad2074cfc8e35a1a9ebf97d.png

image.thumb.png.d21b1633a87e90641e93a9774b97751b.png

I'd like to have seen Authorship in the data because I want to isolate those libraries I consider compromised (for removal). I am looking at Web Scraping this information from the Accordance website also using Power Automate.

I am next looking at a way to rate my data, I'll probably apply a score. E.g.

image.png.de71a721aec2434349432e58ce35fcef.png

I also collated a list of purchases and costs to relate the data with (via Account on Accordance website or your emails). I dreaded that step as it gets scary what was spent. However, all the better reason to pursue this project I guess, we never know how much time we are gifted with :)

If anyone is interested in trying this for themselves I can note the pitfalls to avoid, or screen shot the flows, unfortunately Microsoft has not yet provided a download option of the solutions.