New Bug: Updating Pop-ups and Errors

C. J. Fang

I, too, am hoping for an update on this issue. It took me weeks to get an install that worked, and now I have to clear general settings and re-log in and setup preferences to keep the easy-install popup loop from happening. 

I guess the upside is this software has become a trial (James 1:2) that is growing my faith. I really do dread opening it for fear of having to deal with it crashing.

So as of today, I can't open concordance apart from safe mode and clearing the general settings. I'm afraid I'm going to have to stop using the software altogether until a fix for this is provided. 

30 minutes ago, William Thayer said:

So as of today, I can't open concordance apart from safe mode and clearing the general settings. I'm afraid I'm going to have to stop using the software altogether until a fix for this is provided. 

did you try to go back to V13? Thats what I would recommend you right now!

@William Thayer Try downloading the installer again using a different browser - see the linked post below. Make sure you've backed up your Accordance data. (Once it's backed up, another alternative is to install Accordance 14.)

@Lawrence Thanks. I'll have to give that a try this weekend when I have some time. 

Do you know if 14 is stable? Is it a free upgrade from 13?

@William Thayer,

There are a lot of active bugs with v.14, and v.13 is currently more stable than v.14. Silas mentioned on another thread that he is working to fix a lot of the known bugs, so I am sure v.14 will eventually be stable, but you are better off on v.13 for the moment.

• Like 1

@William Thayer

Accordance 14 is a paid upgrade. The cost isn't very high as far as major upgrades go in the industry, but as Kristin very diplomatically suggests, it's quite a mess at the moment. If you rely on the software for anything important, stay with Accordance 13 for now. If you want to test out Accordance 14, backup your data first and be prepared to need to restore from that backup. Alternatively, trial v.14 on a separate computer altogether - that way, you can just uninstall it if you wish.

I'm running 13.4.2.0, and the app is telling me I am up-to-date. I have opened in safe mode and removed general settings. However, when I refresh the list from the gear icon, I do not get anything. I never had any issues on my previous computer. It was not until I installed Accordance (and uninstalled and reinstalled, etc) on my new computer. Has anyone come up with any helpful information to fix this? Right now, this program is fast becoming a very expensive brick.

@Karen Colston

Are you referring to the continual stream of popups?

I had that problem as well, but it has been resolved for some time now with the Accordance 13 installer available from the website.

https://www.accordancebible.com/download-accordance/

Note that the Accordance installer name doesn't have the number "13" in the name. It's just called "Accordance_installer.exe".

I've just uninstalled Accordance 14 on my PC and installed Accordance 13 using that installer, and I didn't get the continual popups.

The top of the Easy Install window is positioned out of reach, but it's fine after I select and install some resources (make sure you install at least one Bible) and then click the 'continue with installation' button to continue with picking default Bibles etc.

If the problem persists, try downloading the Accordance 13 installer using a different browser. Some browsers were silently corrupting the installer when downloading it.

Thanks, Lawrence!

I've done the installer thing before. It cleared up for a day or two, then started again. What browser would you suggest using, and what browsers should I avoid?

@Karen Colston

You’re welcome. The advice at the time was to use anything other than Chrome.

However, the v.14 issues are largely due to some last-minute changes that didn’t go to plan, then Silas, the lead programmer, got sick. If you can, hold off for a bit until 14.0.2 is released. It sounds like things are getting fixed now that Silas has recovered.

I uninstalled/reinstalled again. It has been about a month since I did last time. Since the problem started, I have had trouble downloading the modules: it would get locked up on the bigger ones, like Hebrew Pro. I even had to download items in stages. This time, however, I did not have trouble downloading any of the modules. I just told it to download everything, and it did. I still had to check for updates manually and got the error message, but I was able to dismiss it and get and install my updates. I can live with that. I have not had the opportunity to see if the update screen goes nuts. Thank you, everyone, for your help! 

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Using a browser other than chrome got me up and running for few weeks before the continual pop-up plagued me... continually. In other words, the continual pop-up issue started after I got a clean install.

For now, to resolve the continual pop-up issue, which only seems to happen on start up when looking for updates, I disabled auto-checking for updates. So far so good.

The issue seems to be related to the software checking for updates and not being able to connect to the server. On startup, it appears to get stuck in a loop where it is continually trying.

On 9/21/2022 at 1:56 PM, Billy32792 said:

On the other error message referenced on this thread, 'Error processing online information. There may be a problem with the servers'  this almost always means the username or password is incorrect. The most common instance is using an email address in place of a username. This will work on our website but not in the Accordance app.

When I get that error, usually the first time of starting Accordance, I click OK on the error, then click on "Easy Install" and then click on updates and it works. There is some other bug at play here

• 2 weeks later...