New Bug: Updating Pop-ups and Errors

C. J. Fang

Recently, there was a repeating of pop-up window (for updating) when I opened the Accordance software (PC), which I had to force-close the software and opened it again. The software opened fine the second time, and I have set it not to check updates automatically. Nevertheless, when I click Check for Content Updates, an error window pops up with this error message: "Error processing online information. There may be a problem with the servers..." (screenshot attached).

Updating-Error-Popup.jpg

I've had both problems too and still do. This has been an ongoing thing. It sounded like the only solution was to reset all preferences, but I have chosen not to do that. I was sort of holding on to hope that in the next version this problem would go away.

I encountered the same problem. It happened after today's Windows Update. "Close this application" doesn't work, although quitting the main Accordance application stopped generating more windows. I needed to either reboot or logout to close all the windows. See below for a screenshot from pressing windows-tab.

z4OAhzJDBrGBAXMK9wtWz8guhdg4IRrXsbQrqqrxZ-G63pPwWxcddWHyv1r4sa2rxu5zBfBDF9c0aPnT9H7hBJMZ6TtDaHGbh5nzR2jtCZQmDZy40TdsQNv8IE5HgpnoXDU5KCUHr2IxFwPXeKR6LVlDpSD3Y8L1wCUE3HdAKIyY3NGEVzBeddlUag

I have the same problem as well. The issue started yesterday. I had to force quit Accordance for it to stop. When I went back into Accordance a second time, the issue was gone. I also got the error message "Error processing online information. There may be a problem with the servers. Please try again later." The same thing happened again today.

After doing a fresh install today on Windows 11, I'm having the same problem.  Exiting and restarting does not make it go away.

Can the developers please let us know when this has been fixed and we can open Accordance again safely?

• Like 1

We apologize for this inconvenience.

If you encounter a flashing screen in Easy Install > Check for Updates in the Windows version of Accordance, you will need to quit Accordance using Task Manager (control-alt-delete).

Then reopen Accordance to the Accordance Safe Mode troubleshooting window and 'Remove the General Settings’.

In order to open Accordance Safe Mode on a Windows computer, press and hold your ‘alt’ key ‘immediately after’ you click on the icon to open Accordance.

Please select ‘Remove General Settings’ and then relaunch Accordance. This will reset some of your personal preferences and you will need to put in your name and account information again, but this is normal. This should correct the flashing screen issue.

Thanks.

• Like 2

On the other error message referenced on this thread, 'Error processing online information. There may be a problem with the servers'  this almost always means the username or password is incorrect. The most common instance is using an email address in place of a username. This will work on our website but not in the Accordance app.

Thank you Billy, I've completed the step of Remove the General Settings. So, I logged in again with username (not email). I've even restarted my computer. However, when I click Check for Content Updates, the error message still pops up, which says "Error process online information. There may be a problem with the servers."

(BTW, so far there's no problem to open the software.)

Edited by C. J. Fang

Thanks for getting back to us, Billy.

I followed your instructions but it didn't ask for my name and account information.

I made several attempts, decreasing the number of downloaded resources each time, eventually with none selected.

The first attempt did not succeed, and the others ended up with a dialogue box asking, 'Where is the file for the "ESVS" text?'

There was no request for my name and account information.

There's also no more flashing screen, but I still can't get into the application.

19 hours ago, Billy32792 said:

We apologize for this inconvenience.

If you encounter a flashing screen in Easy Install > Check for Updates in the Windows version of Accordance, you will need to quit Accordance using Task Manager (control-alt-delete).

Then reopen Accordance to the Accordance Safe Mode troubleshooting window and 'Remove the General Settings’.

In order to open Accordance Safe Mode on a Windows computer, press and hold your ‘alt’ key ‘immediately after’ you click on the icon to open Accordance.

Please select ‘Remove General Settings’ and then relaunch Accordance. This will reset some of your personal preferences and you will need to put in your name and account information again, but this is normal. This should correct the flashing screen issue.

Thanks.

Edited by Lawrence

Today, 

On 9/21/2022 at 1:07 PM, C. J. Fang said:

Thank you Billy, I've completed the step of Remove the General Settings. So, I logged in again with username (not email). I've even restarted my computer. However, when I click Check for Content Updates, the error message still pops up, which says "Error process online information. There may be a problem with the servers."

(BTW, so far there's no problem to open the software.)

Today, when I opened the Accordance software, the repeating pop-up window appeared again. It seems that when it checks for updates, it encounters the problem. Note that I've completed the Remove the General Settings and logged-in with username (not email). 

Added Notes: I am able to update by clicking Utilities -> Check for Content Updates -> Refresh List

(Although an error window still appears when I clicked Check for Content Updates, I could close the pop-up window, click the "gear icon" at the right-top corner to refresh the list in order to update.)

Edited by C. J. Fang
  • Like 1

My students are experiencing the same issue on Windows (I'm on Mac). Pretty critical issue. I hope a fix will be released asap without having to force people to go into safe mode etc...

Just curious because I haven't seen it mentioned above, but is this affecting only the 13.3.x branch, only the 13.4.x branch, or both?

@Billy32792

I still can't get into Accordance on the PC that had the repeating-update problem. Any suggestions?

After deleting General Settings, the process leads to a dead end here:

image.png.1f874e9d12282e2386fe8bda2451e969.png

Edited by Lawrence

Hi@Lawrence,

Something bad has happened on that installation. The ESVS is the one module that you have to have in order to get Accordance to open. You may need to contact us directly at: techsupport@accordancebible.com so that we can troubleshoot this. I will email you that file and some instructions to help you try to jump start the installation.

• Thanks 1

There is an update to Accordance 13.3.4 which may help with the Check for updates issue, if removing the General Settings didn't help.

@C. J. Fang I found 2 accounts for you. I will email you about this to your Gmail account.

• Like 1

Remove general settings worked for me.  Looks like there is a bug in the code and the developer didn't put in a graceful error handle, but instead depended on a loop to keep attempting authentication (or whatever the 'pass condition' is during startup). 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I performed a fresh install of the latest Accordance version, 13.4.2.0, and I registered it (as I had with previous installs) with my user ID, not my email address.  (As stated previously, the platform is Windows 11 Professional, Version 21H2 (with all updates available for it).  Windows Update reports "You're up to date".

When I ran the Accordance check for content updates, I got the same error message as on previous occasions:  "Error processing online information.  There may be a problem with the servers.  Please try again later."  However, it did not repeatedly pop up "flashing" multiple windows as it had previously.

I then followed the forum advice to quit Accordance, open it in Accordance Safe Mode, select "Remove General Settings", and then relaunch Accordance, after which I went through the registration process again.  After doing that, the problem still occurs.

I am able to dismiss the "Check for Updates" window instead of having to terminate the process using Task Manager as was previously necessary.

This problem was first reported in the forum on September 3, 2022.  I believe I have followed all advice provided in the forum for dealing with it, but it still occurs.  Is someone on the development team working on a fix?

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

I was able to check for updates and install them following the instructions on C.J.'s "added note" on Sept. 25.

Karen,

Yes, my system is doing the same thing that C.J. reported.  After I click "OK" to clear the error-message pop-up, I can use the drop-down menu by the gear-icon at the top right to select "Refresh List", and then I can download any content updates that are available.

If one chooses the option to check automatically for updates periodically, the basic error will continue to pop-up automatically at whatever frequency is selected for those checks.

Although this work-around allows us to get updates, I'm sure the Accordance Bible support team will still want to diagnose the cause and eliminate the bug that still exists.

Thanks!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried opening the program for the first time in about a week. I am right back to the original problem of opening a hundred update windows and requiring a force close. I do not have time to try dealing with this right now. It is frustrating.