Searching, ability to hit Enter to move through hits instead of having to click "Hits"

TheBard

I've noticed something that I REALLY wish was different in Accordance. In Microsoft Word for example you can search for word and then just hit enter to move through all of the instances of that word until you find the part you are looking for.

In Accordance however you can't do this. Let's say you are looking up Exodus 33:12 in the ESV Study Bible and want to look at commentary for that specific verse. The first entry that comes up is for 19:1-40:38. Not what I want. If I want to go deeper, I have to go all the way down to the bottom of the window and click the small down arrow on "Hit". The next part selected is for 33:1-23. Still not what I want and I still have to click "Hit" down arrow. Finally I get to the section that I was looking for.

However, it would be much easier to just continue hitting Enter to keep moving through these. And, when using commentaries or study Bibles for example almost always the place I'm trying to get to is the last entry so I have to always click Hit to get there. It would be so much more efficient and quicker to get there by being able to keep hitting Enter. Plus, I wouldn't have to move my eyes off the top part of the screen. I think it would be fine to keep the Hit arrows still there and keep them functional, but please add this other capability. And as a bonus it would be really nice for it to able to cycle through all of the instances (including going back to the beginning) by hitting Enter just like Microsoft Word.

Edited by TheBard
  • Like 1

You can move between hits using the keyboard with Command-Option-down arrow and Command-Option-up arrow. I think the Windows equivalent to Command-Option is Ctrl-Alt.

• Like 1

@jlmkeyboard solution is super, but it would also help to have those Art and Hit arrows (and Vs , Ch, Bk arrows) bigger to make it easier to click on them.

On 9/3/2022 at 6:34 AM, jlm said:

You can move between hits using the keyboard with Command-Option-down arrow and Command-Option-up arrow. I think the Windows equivalent to Command-Option is Ctrl-Alt.

Wonderful, super helpful thanks!

On 9/3/2022 at 10:34 PM, jlm said:

I think the Windows equivalent to Command-Option is Ctrl-Alt.

Thank you for the advice, but Control-Alt- up arrow turns my laptop screen upside down!

The Windows equivalent for this action in accordance is simply Control. Control-up arrow or Control-down arrow.  That works for me.

Shalom

6 hours ago, Anonymous said:

Thank you for the advice, but Control-Alt- up arrow turns my laptop screen upside down!

Oops! Sorry about that.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:34 AM, jlm said:

Thanks, just tried it.  All I have to do now is work it into my workflow...

13 hours ago, Anonymous said:

The Windows equivalent for this action in accordance is simply Control. Control-up arrow or Control-down arrow.  That works for me.

Shalom

Try just using CTRL up/down arrow.

12 hours ago, mgvh said:

Try just using CTRL up/down arrow.

For me it has to be Ctrl and Alt together. (I'm using Windows). If I use Ctrl by itself it moves me to the next section heading. It does not move me to the next search item. Therefore I have to use Ctrl and Alt in conjunction with the up/down arrow.

10 hours ago, TheBard said:

For me it has to be Ctrl and Alt together. (I'm using Windows). If I use Ctrl by itself it moves me to the next section heading. It does not move me to the next search item. Therefore I have to use Ctrl and Alt in conjunction with the up/down arrow.

Ugghh... I wasn't paying attention. You are exactly right. CTRL up/down only moves by line. CTRL-ALT up/down moves by hit.

9 hours ago, mgvh said:

Ugghh... I wasn't paying attention. You are exactly right. CTRL up/down only moves by line. CTRL-ALT up/down moves by hit.

It must be different for different PCs. For me the CRTL-down moves hit by hit, and CRTL-down turns the screen upside down. But no problem, this can differ from PC to PC.