Saved Searches

cweber

Apart from creating workspaces and saving those, it would be useful to have a saved search capability. I'd like these searches to account for previous searches and My Stuff objects per my question below.

https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/33135-research-all-excluding-what-exists-in-selected-stacks/

Here's what you can do: after performing your search, pull up a contextual menu on the search field and select Copy as Search URL. Paste that wherever you like and create a document of saved searches. 

image.png

• Like 1

Hi @R. Mansfield,

This is a sort of ignorant question, but since the program is running on my computer and not "the internet", how does it have a URL? Stuff I am doing is all local on my computer, is this correct?

Thanks,

Kristin

That's a good start thanks.

It would be even better if the results of trawling through the search results and filtering down to what was to be kept, could be saved other than into Notes, and future searches to only search newly added libraries.

12 minutes ago, Kristin said:

how does it have a URL

I believe it is a custom Accordance type of URL. There is a reference to linking Accordance resources using their own URL type that is unique to Accordance.

http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX13/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/using_links_common_tasks.htm?Highlight=accordance URL

Edited by cweber

24 minutes ago, cweber said:

That's a good start thanks.

It would be even better if the results of trawling through the search results and filtering down to what was to be kept, could be saved other than into Notes, and future searches to only search newly added libraries.

You can get there with a couple of additional steps. Once you've done your initial search, copy the text as "references", then paste that into your original search along with the "range" command. You can then remove from the search references the passages you don't want to retain. From there you can copy the URL.

That Range approach will work for Verses. I am searching everything, manually selecting Text, Commentaries and anything found relating to the search criteria. I am not so sure it will operate that way for such a scenario, but I'll have to try it.

I see. If you're searching everything, I imagine that saving your entire workspace would be your best bet. 

Hi @Donald Cobb,

I understand the links are pertaining to Accordance, but doesn't anything that is a URL mean it is on the internet instead of your personal computer? Even if the internet link is somewhere on the Accordance site, that is still the internet.

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

I understand the links are pertaining to Accordance, but doesn't anything that is a URL mean it is on the internet instead of your personal computer? Even if the internet link is somewhere on the Accordance site, that is still the internet.

As I always remind folks, I am not a programmer, so I don't necessarily know all the intricacies of how the location URLs work. But my understanding is that the short form, which I prefer, is associated directly with Accordance on your computer and doesn't require a connection. The longer (https) format will hit our website and then give you a link.

If I'm wrong, @Silas Marrs can correct me.

image.png

The Wikipedia article on URL (Uniform Resource Locator) will provide you with hours of entertainment. ;) The part in front of the // determines where to search for the indicated resource. The system is amazingly flexible with respect to where and how it searches for a resource.

—Joseph

• Like 1

I tried using the Accordance URL to create Footnotes in a My Tool, self referencing them back to the same Tool. I was able to create links but they never worked. I might have misinterpreted the requirement, but I can say it is a very unfriendly way to attempt making footnotes :)