M2 MacBook Air

Dr. Nathan Parker

Does anyone have any plans to purchase the new M2 MacBook Air? If so, let me know what you think of it. my next Mac will likely be a desktop, but in the event I need a Mac notebook in the future, it’d be a good idea to start considering what I’d need.

Reviews seem really positive about it as a “sweet spot” notebook.

On the desktop, I’m going to try to hold out for an iMac Pro. I’m hearing rumors Apple may bring it back with an M3 chip.

Thanks!

Edited by Nathan Parker
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just set up my MacBook Air M2, 2022. I've only heard good things. I migrated my previous MacBook Pro 2015 files to the MacBook Air, and discovered that I lost my Accordance files. The program opens, but unfortunately, it's just the basic starter program. No callback from Accordance yet. Anyone else have this problem?

If you have more than one Accordance account, make sure the program on the new computer is linked to your "full version" account. For awhile I had a second account used with the Lite version of Accordance to show folks what they could do with the free version of Accordance. I always had to pay attention to which Accordance login I used, since that controlled which program behavior I got. ;)

—Joseph

I recently set up an M2 Air. Depending on your configuration, there’s not a huge price difference between the Air vs stepping up to the 14” pro, so think about that. I don’t need high end performance and portability is a big deal for me, so I went w the Air (upgrading from an older Intel air that was giving me some issues). I love it. The processor has more than met my needs; it’s never even warm, let alone hot, and the absence of a fan makes it absolutely silent. The form factor is really nice, better than the old wedge shape; screen is slightly bigger but not too big, feels just right. I don’t really even notice the notch anymore. Better camera helps with my frequent zoom meetings. The only downside is the speakers arent great; not bad, just ok, but I usually use headphones anyway. Battery life is amazing, easily get through an entire day of constant use, and it charges really quickly when I need to plug in. It’s really light, which matters for me because I carry it around in my backpack almost daily. Basically, if you’re not sure if you need the Pro, you probably don’t and the Air is the way to go. Migration Assistant transferred everything correctly including Accordance. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. Accordance eventually called back and set me up easily. I just didn’t have the knowledge needed to do it myself. They were very helpful (but a bit swamped today).

On 8/30/2022 at 2:29 PM, Craig Vanbiber said:

The program opens, but unfortunately, it's just the basic starter program. No callback from Accordance yet. Anyone else have this problem?

Migration has often failed for me.  I now move folders and files manually.  These steps have worked flawlessly for me.

1. Copy: User / Documents / Accordance Files
2. Copy: User library / Application support / Accordance
3. Copy: User library / Preferences / Accordance Preferences
4. Licence files:  Copy: These file 2 files from the Library / Preferences folder as well...
'com.OakTree.Accordance.Path.txt'  /  'com.OakTree.Accordance.plist'

Copy them all over to the same folders on the new computer.

There should be need to re-register.