An Abridgement of BDAG

Enoch

I would like an abridgement of BDAG, removing most of the non-Biblical references. 

I have always found Bauer's Lexicon (formerly Ardnt & Gingrich) difficult to read. For that reason I highlighted my version bought back around 1963 so that I could read it easier. I did some highlighting in the Accordance BDAG, but with Acc 13, the highlighting system seems fouled up & I don't think my Acc 12 highlighted BDAG shows up in Acc 13.

This will no doubt require permission from the publisher & publisher getting a cut.  Here is an example of how I would like the entry on anothen abridged and spaced, though your word processor fought me off a little:

ἄνωθεν adv. of place
1. in extension fr. a source that is above, from above
σχισθῆναι ἀπ̓ ἄ. ἕως κάτω be torn fr. top to bottom Mk 15:38.
For this ἄ. ἕως κάτω Mt 27:51 (where ἀπ̓ is added by many witnesses, foll. Mk).
ἐκ τῶν ἄ. ὑφαντὸς δἰ ὅλου woven from the top in one piece (i.e. altogether without seam) J 19:23.

Esp. from heaven ἄ. ἐκ τ. οὐρανοῦ J 3:27 v.l.
ὁ ἄ. ἐρχόμενος he who comes from heaven (explained in the same vs. by ὁ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἐρχόμενος) 3:31.

Of the Holy Spirit ἡ σοφία ἄ. κατερχομένη Js 3:15.
Also ἡ ἄ. σοφία vs. 17. ἄ. εἶναι come from above Js 1:17.
ἄ. δεδομένον bestowed from above (i.e. by God) J 19:11.

γεννᾶσθαι be born from above J 3:3, 7
(Nicodemus thinks of physical rebirth [vs. 4], but the narrator shows Jesus with another dimension in mind).

2. from a point of time marking the beginning of someth., from the beginning
παρακολουθεῖν ἄ. follow from the beginning Lk 1:3
(w. suggestion of thoroughness rather than temporal precision);
cp. Ac 26:5 and s. 3.

3. for a relatively long period in the past, for a long time
προγινώσκειν ἄ. know for a long time Ac 26:5 beside ἀπ̓ ἀρχῆς vs. 4
For Lk 1:3 s. 2.

4. at a subsequent point of time involving repetition, again, anew. Oft. strengthened by πάλιν Gal 4:9.
—ἀ. γεννηθῆναι be born again J 3:3, 7 (ἄ. γεννᾶσθαι in the physical sense Artem. 1, 13)
is designedly ambiguous and suggests also
a transcendent experience born from above (s. 1 above on these pass. fr. J).

You might be interested in the following module request for Danker's The Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament:

• Like 5

Thanks for telling me about this. I own the Gingrich abridgement of Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich.  If this is like that, it does not do what I want.    YOu may compare my sample with the Danker abridgment of BDAG on anothen.  For one thing, my suggested module makes us of the clarity one gets with more blank spacing, which is a problem for hand held books, but not for computers, which are not so limited in page space.  My system has a more outlined system, which requires starting new lines frequently.

Here is the entry for ανωθεν in the Danker Concise:

image.png.30a1eabdcc2bb822f58b70f16f4ffb71.png

• 4 months later...

As you can see, this Danker is not equivalent to the sort of abridgement I like.  I am keeping the references in the NT, but eliminating the non-Biblical material (mostly) & the bibliographical information (mostly).