Can’t access toolbars

A. Smith

I’m not sure what exactly has happened or when, but recently it’s become almost impossible to tap the screen and access the toolbars or whatever they are called in iOS/iPadOS. Instead, virtually every tap on the screen selects a word (even taps on the side margin) and then tapping the screen to deflect a word as I used to do just selects another word! It’s a very frustrating cycle. Of course, touching a large empty space like that between paragraphs often works, but not every text has these and scrolling to such a position then loses my spot in the text. It’s gotten to the point where I’m hesitant to even use the app because it’s just a constant source of frustration.

9521EC71-06CB-4977-9D87-0B262153187E.thumb.jpeg.26f64388b5ba9fa3be886d520250a0e4.jpeg

I think you're running up against what I've found to be one of the most underwhelming modifications to the most recent version (IMO). If you go into the settings for Instant Details, the fist setting is "click once for details" (or something like that; my UI is in French, so I'm translating). Deactivate that and it should get you back to the way iOS Accordance was set up before.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

I think you're running up against what I've found to be one of the most underwhelming modifications to the most recent version (IMO). If you go into the settings for Instant Details, the fist setting is "click once for details" (or something like that; my UI is in French, so I'm translating). Deactivate that and it should get you back to the way iOS Accordance was set up before.

This is exactly it. Thank you!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

I think you're running up against what I've found to be one of the most underwhelming modifications to the most recent version (IMO).

I know some love it, im with you and certainly not in that camp!

thank goodness the developers have let us turn it off!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for asking this. I've been annoyed by this for weeks, but not enough to check. 

I feel personally responsible for this feature. I’ve been asking for it for years. I love it. Except, the tap targets for words are entirely too big. I also wish that taps in white space would not hide the bars. I desire being able to tap empty space in the title bars to show / hide the user interface. Even with the tap to show instant details turned off, showing and hiding the interface is annoyingly unpredictable.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I feel personally responsible for this feature. 

Lots of others wanted it and were very pleased when it was introduced. 

Its a marmite feature!