synch with mobile device deleted several texts from iPhone and now I cannot restore them

Michael J. Bolesta

I added an English text (JPSS), and it did not add it to my English subfolder. Moving it failed. Using settings to delete the session, the download cache did not work. Using Move to put it in another (not English) folder worked, but then attempting to move it from there wiped out several subfolders (Greek, Hebrew, LXX) and their contents! Using synch to add them back fails. Wiping and starting over would require many hours of work. I cannot restore any Greek, Hebrew, or LXX texts to my iPhone.

Suggestions?

Accordance for Mac 13.3.3, [Mac OS 12.4 2021 16 inch MacBook Pro]
Accordance for iOS 3.3.0 (3.2.9.15988), [iOS 15.5 iPhone 12]

Anyone else have an issue like this?

Anyone have suggestions other than remove and reinstall?

Thanks.

Sounds a bit similar to this thread

• Like 1

Thanks Fraser. It does seem similar. The synch seems to connect and indicates completion, but no text is added, English or non-English.

I have an email in to tech support, but yesterday was a holiday. They may be backed up after a three-day weekend.

Hi @Michael J. Bolesta

We are looking into this and trying to find something solid that we can send to the programming team that they can reproduce so they can look into this. Please see the email that we sent to you from Tech Support.

• Like 1

Other observations. Attempts to move texts out of the English text subfolder rendered contents of the subfolders invisible. If I open a bookmark, the text is there. But I cannot open a parallel and select any other text (English or not).

If I select reset, clear and remove in settings, Accordance opens HMT-W4, even though it is no longer listed as a text!

Very strange!

Deleting the app and reinstalling did not work. Synch freezes with 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 (via TestFlight). There is something very wonky about the current builds. I previously rendered an old iPad unusable with iOS Accordance by trying to add a text with Synch. Now adding a text with Synch has rendered my iPhone installation unusable (iPhone 12 with latest iOS).

I too had trouble with sync this week while setting up a new iPad. It froze on one of the first Texts it was trying to sync, but never the same one. After four or five tries, I gave up and used Easy Install instead. Now I have a working installation, but without any of my User Texts.

In the past, sync to mobile device worked reliably for me.

Edited by jlm
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jlm said:

I too had trouble with sync this week while setting up a new iPad. It froze on one of the first Texts it was trying to sync, but never the same one. After four or five tries, I gave up and used Easy Install instead. Now I have a working installation, but without any of my User Texts.

In the past, sync to mobile device worked reliably for me.

Tech support says they have several reports (consider sending your case too). They are trying to replicate the bug so they can report to the programmers.

We have heard of 4 separate instances recently where users have reported anomalies while syncing or moving custom subfolders in iOS.  Folders and modules have disappeared.

We have tried repeatedly, but so far we have not been able to reproduce this here in testing.

We are very sorry for the frustration that those of you who have gone through this have experienced.

If anyone can figure out a way to reproduce this on demand, please let us know. It would be very helpful.

Thank you all for your patience in this matter.

We are definitely looking forward to the release of the new syncing system.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Billy32792 said:

Any ETA on the new synch?

After several attempts I was able to re-install and use synch for user tools, notes, papers, and bookmarks. I then used Easy Install for texts and a few tools. The one text I added by synch was Literal Standard Version, which is considered a user Bible.

I did not have this issue until the current release version. I am reluctant to invest time adding everything I had before until I have some assurance of stability.

Billy, I am disappointed, but appreciate the attempt.

The new syncing system will be included in Accordance 14.  The hope is that it will be out before the end of the year. However, it is a huge task and we have not been given any definite time frame for its release at this point on time. The programming team is working hard on this (as always) trying to improve Accordance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 3:47 PM, Billy32792 said:

We have heard of 4 separate instances recently where users have reported anomalies while syncing or moving custom subfolders in iOS.  Folders and modules have disappeared.

We have tried repeatedly, but so far we have not been able to reproduce this here in testing.

We are very sorry for the frustration that those of you who have gone through this have experienced.

If anyone can figure out a way to reproduce this on demand, please let us know. It would be very helpful.

Thank you all for your patience in this matter.

This has been happening to me over and over after trying to set up a new iPad. I've tried everything Michael mentioned to remedy the problem. The issues for me are always related to creating additional subfolders within a folder (e.g., Old Testament subfolder within the Commentaries folder). Problems seem to occur when I try to move something back out of these personally created subfolders. So for instance, what just happened is that I realized I had moved a NT commentary into my OT commentary folder. I tried to move it back out to the larger Commentaries folder, which caused this glitch whereby every single one of my tools (Lexicons, Dictionaries, Translators Notes, etc.) are hidden except for my Commentaries folder.

I'm quite frustrated because this is now the third time I've spent hours upon hours organizing my entire library for this bug to happen. I had literally finished arranging everything as I wanted and was moving the one last module, and boom—all my work gone. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sad 1

Matt

Condolences!

Rumor has it that Accordance 14 will improve synching. I have a rudimentary set up on my iPhone. I do not plan to spend time refining or expanding it till Accordance 14 released later this year. Hopefully Accordance for iOS will also be updated and fixed to support synching. Before the recent problems with the iOS app I enjoyed having a large number of modules on my iOS devices.

Michael

For the record we have since been able to reproduce the disappearing modules and folders when moving modules into folders on iOS. We were given the steps to take to reproduce this by a couple of long time users. We reported this to the programming team along with the steps to reproduce this about 6 weeks ago. We still haven't been able to reproduce everything disappearing during a sync. We are certain it happened, but we don't have the steps to reproduce it yet. Our tests were able to sync custom folders without any incidents. If anyone can provide the steps to reproduce the syncing issue we will certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Thanks Billy! The LORD bless you and keep you.