Accordance doesn't remember where to find a file

TYA

I installed Michel Distefano's UHB (Unpointed Hebrew Bible) in unicode.  I first saved the .acc2 (installation file) in a particular folder on my computer, and opened it from within Accordance.  The module opened just fine.  However, after I close Accordance and reopen it, Accordance no longer knows where the file is.  I have to manually navigate to the .acc2 file each time I open Accordance, otherwise the module won't appear in a preset list of texts in my Text Browser.  It does remain in the Library list of Texts, but if I click on it to open it from the Library, it asks me where to locate the file.  Why is this?

Thanks

Captured 2645.jpg

Okay, problem solved.  I had saved the file in a non-Accordance location (i.e. not in the native filepath of Accordance stuff).  I moved the file into the same folder where Workspaces, User Notes, etc. are located, and now Accordance remembers where it is, and no longer prompts me to navigate to it.

That being said, I'd like to lump a related request in regarding this UHB (Unpointed Hebrew Bible) unicode: can someone duplicate it with a slightly different name, and let us have multiple iterations of this same file, so that instead of toggling different unicode fonts for this one module, we can permanently assign various unicode fonts to each separate iteration of this text, thereby simultaneously being able to view (say) Gen 1:1 in Paleo-Qumran font, Isaiah-Qumran font, Habakkuk Pesher font, Proto-Canaanite font, etc. all at the same time in the Text Browser?

Currently, I have this UHB set to Isaiah-Qumran font, and I don't want to have to manually change it to the other fonts.  I'd rather have 7 modules named "UHB1" "UHB2" "UHB3" "UHB4" and so on, with various Hebrew fonts permanently assigned to each of them, so they can all be viewed simultaneously.  Does anybody know how to do this?

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Hi @TYA,

I am glad the original problem got solved, and that had been my guess as well, that it needed to be moved to the Accordance folder.

Concerning what you just wrote, this is just an idea, but I think worth trying. If you go to the document where it is in your Accordance files, try duplicating the file. I know on a Mac I can right click and duplicate things, so I assume that is similar to how it is done on Windows. Then after that just re-name it as something and open it. I would imagine Accordance would perceive it as another file.

Kristin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TYA said:

Okay, problem solved.  I had saved the file in a non-Accordance location (i.e. not in the native filepath of Accordance stuff).  I moved the file into the same folder where Workspaces, User Notes, etc. are located, and now Accordance remembers where it is, and no longer prompts me to navigate to it.

normally this is not necessary. As Accordance should do this by default. But lastly another Windows user had the same problem. It seems this is a windows related bug.

The resource, you can guess, came originally from me, I sent it to Michael Distefano. He had then changed the resource to work more properly with Accordance. 

But maybe you can do it for yourself. If you export the file as unpointed from BW and import it to Accordance. Only make sure there is an unsupported character from the Yehudit font in the txt file. The the file will be saved as unicode.

@Kristin this doesn't work. The filename you give is in the file itself stored too. And if you change the file name they don't match and the process fails in Accordance.

That said the file has to be multi plicated on the computer. Give different names and import them.

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 2

Fabian was and still is the resident expert on user Bibles. He helped me do all that was possible in Accordance for a rtl text. I think we all wish we could do more!

TYA, if you are interested in how this all came about and for some other interesting tidbits, see “Set Hebrew to display as unpointed text” at https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/16753-set-hebrew-to-display-as-unpointed-text/

Michel

• Like 2

Thanks all!

Michel Gilbert:

If the consonantal text was all in Unicode, one could even change the font to a Paleo-Hebrew or Proto-Canaanite one (depending on your scholarly persuasion and where you were in the HB). This would not only set Acc apart for good, but could even cause some heart attacks. It’s a risk I would be willing to take. I'd even sign a waiver form.

Well then, I'm not responsible for any medical reactions or incidents related to this screenshot below.  (Most of the fonts taken from OpenSiddur.org)

image.thumb.jpeg.4b6637ccb3b0983949f0f59030687e30.jpeg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 3

But, as you can see, all the texts above are the same module (UHB) (except for the last one), and it would be nice to have individual "About this text" info saved for each one, giving a brief overview of the (permanent) font assigned to each different file.  For example, if you selected "About this text" for the one on the far left, it could tell you about Proto-Canaanite, date, region, and what biblical text (if any) has actually been found in that ancient script.

At this moment, however, clicking "About this text" would tell you the exact same thing for all the files above--viz., that it is an unvowelized Hebrew Text taken from (shh!!!)

45 minutes ago, TYA said:

ancient script....

I can't even get my unpointed text to display in any other font than Yehudit. How do you do that?

• Like 1

@Anonymous, I think the screenshot is not showing the text in a different font, but it is rather a different text entirely which natively comes in those fonts. I think. @TYA, if I am correct, would you mind putting these on the Accordance Exchange ? (Especially the far left!)

• Like 1

Thanks for explaining!

• Like 1

I can't even get my unpointed text to display in any other font than Yehudit. How do you do that?

#1) You need the unicode module shown in my screenshot above: "UHB" (Unpointed Hebrew Bible).  Here's where you get it (screenshot #1).

#2) Save the unicode module in an Accordance folder (see screenshot "Save UHB module").  Click on it to install it in Accordance, or else, from within the Accordance program, select File -> Open and then navigate to the file, and select it.  It should open in a window in Accordance, with a basic / plain Hebrew font.

#3) If you want other fonts like what I showed above, then you need unicode fonts.  I got those from The Open Siddur Project online.  https://opensiddur.org/help/fonts/

#4) Install unicode fonts.  In Windows 10, you can copy and paste the .ttf (True Type Font) files (such as downloaded from the website above) into the Fonts folder in Windows (see screenshot titled "Installing fonts...")

#5) Now in Accordance, you should be able to change the font of the "UHB" module to the unicode fonts that you installed in Windows.  Perhaps close and reopen Accordance if they don't appear at first.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Screenshot #1.jpg

Installing fonts in Windows.jpg

Save UHB module.jpg

would you mind putting these on the Accordance Exchange ? (Especially the far left!)

Just download them from https://opensiddur.org/help/fonts/  There are a ton more than my screenshot shows above.

I think the screenshot is not showing the text in a different font, but it is rather a different text entirely which natively comes in those fonts. I think.

No, it is the same module (titled "UHB") as you can see in the tabs in the screenshot (except for the far right one).  I simply opened an additional instance of the "UHB" in parallel to the one next to it, and then manually changed the font each time.

But that's why I'm saying it would be good to duplicate the "UHB," or actually, rename it to "Proto-Canaanite" (for one instance), and then "Habakkuk Pesher" (for another instance).  But honestly, this isn't terribly necessary, unless you plan to be using such a setup constantly; and truly, who would?  The font of the Great Isaiah Scroll is beautiful, but I don't think Isaiah wrote Gen 1:1.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anonymous said:

To this question: see my answer above.

8 hours ago, Fabian said:

Only make sure there is an unsupported character from the Yehudit font in the txt file. The the file will be saved as unicode.

If all characters you use are supported in the Yehudit font it will convert to Yehudit. Or you use an older Accordance to make the User Bible. For example 11.1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabian said:

If all characters you use are supported in the Yehudit font it will convert to Yehudit. Or you use an older Accordance to make the User Bible. For example 11.1.

Thanks a lot I'll try that. But I don have access to version 11 even though I have purchased 12 and 13 before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TYA said:

#1) You need the unicode module shown in my screenshot above: "UHB" (Unpointed Hebrew Bible).  Here's where you get it (screenshot #1).

#2) Save the unicode module in an Accordance folder (see screenshot "Save UHB module").  Click on it to install it in Accordance, or else, from within the Accordance program, select File -> Open and then navigate to the file, and select it.  It should open in a window in Accordance, with a basic / plain Hebrew font.

#3) If you want other fonts like what I showed above, then you need unicode fonts.  I got those from The Open Siddur Project online.  https://opensiddur.org/help/fonts/

#4) Install unicode fonts.  In Windows 10, you can copy and paste the .ttf (True Type Font) files (such as downloaded from the website above) into the Fonts folder in Windows (see screenshot titled "Installing fonts...")

#5) Now in Accordance, you should be able to change the font of the "UHB" module to the unicode fonts that you installed in Windows.  Perhaps close and reopen Accordance if they don't appear at first.

Thank you so much for explaining,

Shalom

• Like 1