Help finding an ANE passage in Context of Scripture

DiscipleDojo

To anyone who uses Hallo's "Context of Scripture", I'm looking for some help...

Firstly, the index to CoS is only found in vol.4 of the Accordance version, and doesn't cover the first three vols. It's simply missing, and vol.3 ends after page 335. I'm looking for the translation of Tiglath-Pileser I's campaign in Syria/Lebanon, but when I do a search all that comes up is Tiglath-Pileser III entries.

Can anyone tell me where in CoS (if it even IS in CoS) the account of Tiglath-Pileser's campains in Syria and Lebanon are found? I have the print edition of ANET and it is the text that begins on p.271 in that old volume. Can someone help me find the CoS version of this text?

Hello,

First, I've contacted Brill for the index that covers the first three volumes. Hopefully, I'll get a reply soon, but it likely won't be until next week. If not, then I'll go to the library and scan the indices myself and add them to the module.

Regarding your search, a simple [All English] search for Tiglathpileser will get you the broadest search (106 hits, many of which include T-P III). I get only two mentions of "Tiglathpileser I" when searching [All English]. Also, searching "Tiglathpileser * I" gets me hits like Tiglath-pileser (I) which shows up in some of the context. Finally, I searched "ANET 271" and got a hit. So, you could simply search for the ANET page numbers in [All English]. Hope that helps some. 

image.thumb.png.31cea5c3d04dbf2b64d349014fa0fda2.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jordan S said:

Hello,

First, I've contacted Brill for the index that covers the first three volumes. Hopefully, I'll get a reply soon, but it likely won't be until next week. If not, then I'll go to the library and scan the indices myself and add them to the module.

Regarding your search, a simple [All English] search for Tiglathpileser will get you the broadest search (106 hits, many of which include T-P III). I get only two mentions of "Tiglathpileser I" when searching [All English]. Also, searching "Tiglathpileser * I" gets me hits like Tiglath-pileser (I) which shows up in some of the context. Finally, I searched "ANET 271" and got a hit. So, you could simply search for the ANET page numbers in [All English]. Hope that helps some. 

Thanks for the response, Jordan. I don't have ANET in Accordance though. Basically I'm trying to find the CoS translation (if there is one, that is) of the TG-I campaign that is found in my old shelf copy of ANET on p.271.  CoS and ANET are so different in their translations and titles at times that I'm having trouble finding this particular text in CoS.

What I meant was that you can search in COS [All English] for "ANET 271"

35 minutes ago, Jordan S said:

What I meant was that you can search in COS [All English] for "ANET 271"

Gotcha. Yeah, that doesn't do it. It's just a reference to the Kings lists on that page of ANET.

It would be amazing if someone out there in ancient Near East land would create a chart that gave the equivalents in various primary source translations. :)