Copying Multiple Bible Versions

mhanel

My apologies if there's a "duh" answer to this, but I haven't found it yet. I want to copy verses from multiple Bible versions into a Word document so that the result looks something like this:

NA28 Verse 1

ESV Verse 1

LSB Verse 1

NIV Verse 1

NA28 Verse 2

ESV Verse 2

LSB Verse 2

NIV Verse 2

etc.

Is there a way to do this?

If you ( @mhanel) are who I think you are... I still fire up BibleWorks!

Yes, I am he 🙂 I still fire up BibleWorks too, but I'm trying to be good and live in the brave new world. I take it from your answer though, that this isn't (easily) done in Accordance. bummer!

That's an awesome BibleWorks feature that I'd love to see come to Accordance. Maybe simply copy/paste from the Live Click "Verse Lookup" tab (with formatting options available of course). I've sent in a feature request. 

• Like 7

@Mark Allison so let it be written, so let it be done!

A lot of the ways I use Bible software isn't just within the program itself. I do a lot of Word documents for Bible studies, exegetical papers etc. So even though I know I can view these things in the program, being able to soup up export capabilities would really be beneficial for me. As has been noted, I know I can do it in BW and I do, but I'm trying to do more and more on Accordance, preparing for the inevitable day when BW won't work, but also just trying to use fewer programs, rather than more.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Joe Weaks said:

In response to request a few years ago, I published an AppleScript (Mac only), that does this, in case any Mac folks have this need.

now if this wizardry could be incorporated into the generic Accordance code, I'll be set. Until then, no fun things for this non-Mac dude.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Joe Weaks said:

In response to request a few years ago, I published an AppleScript (Mac only), that does this, in case any Mac folks have this need.

I'd forgotten about that Joe! Works like a charm! I wonder if there's a similar alternative for Windows.

Here's what the output looks like on a Mac:

Jude 5

----------

KJVS

“I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.”

----------

NAS95S

“Now I desire to remind you, though you know all things once for all, that the Lord, after saving a people out of the land of Egypt, subsequently destroyed those who did not believe.”

----------

NAS20S

“Now I want to remind you, though you know everything once and for all, that the Lord, after saving a people out of the land of Egypt, subsequently destroyed those who did not believe.”

----------

ESVS

“Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.”

----------

CSB17S

“Now I want to remind you, although you came to know all these things once and for all, that Jesus saved a people out of Egypt and later destroyed those who did not believe;”

----------

ASVS

“Now I desire to put you in remembrance, though ye know all things once for all, that the Lord, having saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.”

----------

LSB

“Now I want to remind you, though you know all things, that Jesus, having once saved a people out of the land of Egypt, subsequently destroyed those who did not believe.”

----------

NET

“Now I desire to remind you (even though you have been fully informed of these facts once for all) that Jesus, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, later destroyed those who did not believe.”

----------

NIV11-GKE

“Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe.”

----------

NRSVS

“Now I desire to remind you, though you are fully informed, that the Lord, who once for all saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.”

----------

WEBSTR-S

“I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.”

----------

“I’m laying this out as clearly as I can, even though you once knew all this well enough and shouldn’t need reminding. Here it is in brief: The Master saved a people out of the land of Egypt. Later he destroyed those who defected.”

----------

TLB

“My answer to them is: Remember this fact—which you know already—that the Lord saved a whole nation of people out of the land of Egypt and then killed every one of them who did not trust and obey him.”

• Like 1

BTW, I've attached the AppleScript that @Joe Weaks created. I've modified it to include some of the translations I like to reference, but you can easily add or remove anything in Script editor. 

I like to have the AppleScript icon in my menu bar for easy access. You can do that by opening Script Editor and selecting "Preferences". Choose "Show Script Menu in Menu Bar," and also select "Show Computer Scripts." 

With the Script icon now in your menu bar, you can select it and choose "Open Scripts Folder—>Open User Scripts Folder". Place the AppleScript you just downloaded in that folder (make sure you unzip it first). It will then appear in the icon drop-down list.

Accordance Multi-Version Lookup.zip

• Like 1

Mark,

It's perfectly fine to alter the script to limit what versions it looks up, but hard-coding it into the script means you'd have to alter each time you're doing a different type (Hebrew, Greek, etc.). If you don't work for Accordance and have EVERY text module installed, hehe, then I think the original is ideal such that it produces a result for every module your have installed. You can then delete the ones you don't want.

(And, I'd suggest/request you comment out my original code and then add yours, to give folks easy option.)

or, give the option in the script. Change the --get moduleList code to:

tell application "Accordance" to set moduleList to «event AccdVerL»
set moduleList to choose from list moduleList with multiple selections allowed

which will give all the module names as a Choose List that you can then select from.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mhanel said:

now if this wizardry could be incorporated into the generic Accordance code, I'll be set. Until then, no fun things for this non-Mac dude.

I’ve become a half-Mac dude, but I don’t know how to run a script on my Mac. I tried the terminal but it didn’t work. I did a bit of research and haven’t found the answer yet. So I think you have to be a serious Mac dude to even know how to run Joe’s script. 

• Haha 1

@Michel Gilbert Really it's just a matter of getting it into whatever of numerous options works for you. Do you use Shortcuts on your Mac? Here it is as a Shortcut:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5ccf9599d9544afabb44b95e88ebd6ee

That can simply be pinned in the Shortcuts menu bar dropdown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Joe. I just ran my first Mac shortcut. I think I’m a 51 percent Mac dude now.

• Like 2

Here's an example of the kind of thing I use BibleWorks to do, but I would love to be able to do it from Accordance.

Luke 5.1-11

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mgvh said:

Here's an example of the kind of thing I use BibleWorks to do, but I would love to be able to do it from Accordance.

Luke 5.1-11

Hi, Mark and mhanel,

Maybe you already know this. There is a way to do something similar in Accordance for Windows, but it does require a bit of cleanup:

1. Go through the texts in your Library, right click on whichever you want, and choose Add to User Group > [New Group]

Give a title to your untitled group

Keep doing this, only choose Add to User Group > your new title

2. Set up Live Click with the following settings:

Verse Lookup > Research tab > Use custom groups:

Choose the group you just created in the drop-down menu

(leave Lexicon Lookup and Word Usage unchecked)

3. Open up any Bible and click on the verse number, and voilà.

4. Select all and copy with one of the options.

5. When you paste it into your word processor, you will see that you will have to clean up a few things for your preferred format, but a macro to remove line breaks and a bit of proofreading will get you there.

Michel

• Like 3

@Michel GilbertThanks! Yes, that's what I've been doing for quick work to view and compare versions w/in Accordance. BUT, Select All only selects all of a single version. (At least in Windows) Further, you are limited to 9 verses in the Verse Lookup, and if you do that, you won't be able to get the versions exported verse by verse.

What you can do is use File > Print, but that only can generate a PDF file which would take more steps to be editable.

Hi, Mark,

Here are two screenshots from my Windows 11 desktop. Are you sure you have Research tab checked and not Text Browser tab? Select all and paste only works with the Research tab.

Edit: And by the way, there is no version limit. My Word file continues and includes all of the versions. Of course, this is for a single verse each.

1486707800_SelectallversionsinAccordance.thumb.png.75fa0ae401dce731ae38533af25859c7.png

871548525_PasteallversionsinWord.thumb.png.4cb14ee395827690fd6ad51bc6ed4f91.png

Edited by Michel Gilbert
  • Like 1

@Joe Weaks Anyway to have your script use a list of translation from My Groups? Or better yet be able to select a group from My Groups?

You could then have customised groups of texts for different purposes, say Greek Texts, Paraphrases, My Favourites, Literal Translations etc. all done Accordance side.

@Michel GilbertAh, thanks. I was not using the Research tab. That does the trick for Select All > Copy/paste

Yes, the versions are not limited, but it still does mean going a verse at a time if you want to compare verse by verse. (You can expand the verse range in the Research tab, but it doesn't interleave the versions.)

The Verse Lookup makes more efficient use of screen space to see more versions. Maybe that's an improvement that could be made to the Research Tab to condense the display.

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mgvh said:

Maybe that's an improvement that could be made to the Research Tab to condense the display.

+1

@Michael Hunt

Even though I know I can do something similar with Live Click, I like Joe’s solution better because it frees up my Live Click for something else I do all the time.

Joe’s script outputs versions in library order. I ordered my texts by language so I can easily find, copy, and save a section.

When I did this in Accordance, I selected Set display options (= the settings gear) > Sort By Library (Entry). I mention this because I don’t think it is the default setting.

@Joe Weaks

Joe, your script is very useful for a project I am working on. I think it was providential that it appeared (reappeared?) on the forums. It reminds me that we should never weary of doing good. Thank you.

Michel

I too missed the option from BibleWorks days. I'm on a Mac now and didn't try to install BW. That being said, I also would this feature and wanted to try out the Apple script but am too new to Mac on how to do that.  How do I run the Apple script I downloaded and put on menu bar?

16 hours ago, Michael Hunt said:

Anyway to have your script use a list of translation from My Groups? Or better yet be able to select a group from My Groups?

Unfortunately, no. The minimal apple event (AppleScript) API's that were coded into Accordance years ago do not have access to the My Groups list. It's possible My Groups  didn't even exist at the time.

• Like 1

If you are new to using automation, I'd encourage you to try out this script using the new Apple Shortcuts.

You can just click this link and follow the prompts:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5ccf9599d9544afabb44b95e88ebd6ee

That Shortcut simply has my AppleScript embedded in a Run AppleScript action.

I would not use the edited script that Mark posted upstream because it forces you to look at the code.

@Larry Wing

@Joe Weeks Thank you but when I click on link it takes me to a web page for Shortcuts with message that it's only for iPad or iPhone. I do have Shortcuts installed on my Macbook but can't figure out how to add your shortcut.