ETCBC syntax search not working!!

Accordance Enthusiast

I am getting frustrated that my searches in ETCBC syntax keeps giving false results:

image.png.f614c5d629321a4d1cd9dea1f038f685.png

I am looking for examples where ONE Hebrew word is in construct to more than one other word.

This is what I specified in my search, but it finds hits where the third word found is part of a different clause as shown above.

If this is a bug, PLEASE correct it.

If I am making a mistake, I will be glad if someone could tell me how to get the correct results

Moved to technical support.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jordan, thank you for your response!

However, even in your search results the hits are FALSE!

The word "עוף" is in the CONSTRUCT state even though the search specified that it should be in the ABSOLUTE state.

Could you please report this problem to be corrected in future?

Thank you,

Shalom

3 hours ago, Anonymous said:

The word "עוף" is in the CONSTRUCT state even though the search specified that it should be in the ABSOLUTE state.

A quick question to Jordan on this: does the Hebrew construct read from right to left (i.e., Hebrew word order) or from left to right (latin word order)? If it's the latter, Gen 1.21 does fall into the search correctly: construct (כָּל) + absolute (עוֹף) + absolute (כָּנָף)

כָּל־עוֹף כָּנָף

At least that's the way it's tagged in BHS...

Anonymous, I haven't tried this construct but you may want to play with it a little and see if that's where your problem is.

Hi there, no, it works from left to right in the construct tab.

You will see that soon if you start using simple lemmas.

Hope this can be sorted out!

1 hour ago, Anonymous said:

left to right

I meant the opposite! Sorry for the confusion!

Hebrew and Greek works in the real direction in the construct palate.

3 hours ago, Anonymous said:

I meant the opposite! Sorry for the confusion!

Hebrew and Greek works in the real direction in the construct palate.

Ah! I was going to say... No problem. And yes, in playing around with the construct function, I see that it is indeed right-to-left for Hebrew, which is as it should be.

Maybe you could give an example of what you're looking for. I tried this, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.

image.thumb.jpeg.733b61e4c957ddd9f4e3fcb593ab3c2e.jpeg

12 hours ago, Anonymous said:

However, even in your search results the hits are FALSE!

עוף is tagged as an Abs in ETCBC, which is the base text for our search.

Yes, עוף is tagged as a Const in BHS-T and HMT-W4.

Yes, the construct search for Hebrew reads right to left (RTL). So, construct (כָּל) + absolute (עוֹף) + absolute (כָּנָף) is what you were wanting, no? 

image.thumb.png.d3866c40c401b1d5e07bf788ab9e450b.png

Edited by Jordan S

I just noticed the same thing as Jordan. Now that is an interesting difference! I can think of good reasons for each tagging. Hmmm ....

Thank you so much for responding. I see that ETCBS has this tagged differently. But the above search is not exactly what I am looking for.

Here is an example of what I want to find: "The Elohim of: 1. Abraham, 2. Isaak, 3. Jacob." You see, I want to find examples where one word is in construct to more than one other absolute noun, e.g. "the sons of Abraham and Sarah" etc.

image.png.f582079c796301ad9bcee068d999e6fe.png

That is why in my original search I searched for two absolute nouns in one phrase, but the results were not correct. (See screenshot in original post). If you have any further advice I will appreciate that.

Shalom