Pitre and Bergsma, A Catholic Introduction to … The Old Testament

jlm

Pitre, Brant, and John Bergsma. A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2018.

I thought I had requested this already, but I searched the forum and can't find it. I own this in ebook form and use it often, but it would be much more convenient to have it in Accordance. At 1060 pages, it's full of useful material. Besides obvious things like inspiration, the general introduction deals with the canon and specifically with patristic use of the deuterocanon, the Hebrew text and ancient versions, and the historical-critical method. Then there's an introduction to the Pentateuch, with a chapter on its origins: the traditional attribution to Moses, the rise of the documentary hypothesis, and contemporary criticism of it.

Then the authors turn their attention to the individual books. In most cases, there's a chapter on each book, but Genesis 1–11 and 12–50 are treated separately, and some books are treated together (the books of Maccabees, the twelve prophets). The typical structure is: introduction, literary structure, overview (some commentary on noteworthy passages), historical issues, theological issues, the book in the living Tradition (patristic interpretation, use in the liturgy), conclusion, and basic bibliography. The section on the living tradition includes tables showing where passages are read in the lectionary and the liturgy of the hours, with summaries of the passages and explanations of how they relate to the liturgy. Here's an example I was looking at this morning:

221F42F9-23B9-4D61-AF2B-DFED24017434.jpeg

Publisher's website: https://ignatius.com/a-catholic-introduction-to-the-bible-ioth/

Edited by jlm
Add link to publisher's website.
  • Like 4

1+

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Got it and sent it on! Thanks!

• Like 2