exporting to Numbers works sporadically

I honestly don't know if this is an Accordance "Notes" question or a Mac "Numbers" question, so I hope it is ok to ask this.

I am in the arduous process of exporting my Notes by hand, and for a host of reasons I am using Numbers. Column "A" is a random reference and Column "B" is my note. If I have 2 (or 15....) independent notes for one reference, then row 2 is a reference, row 3 is a reference, etc, etc.

Column A Row 1756 - Lk 1:4 Column B Row 1756 - Note in question

Column A Row 1757 - Lk 1:4 Column B Row 1757 - Another note in question

etc, etc.

"Sometimes" if I do a "select all" for a biblical reference (for example, ALL my notes in the Note of Lk 1:4), I just need to paste it to column B and it works fine. The first note goes to Row 1756, next to row 1757, next to 1758, etc. Then all I need to do is type "Lk 1:4" in column A for all the notes.

However...

Sometimes that does not work, and when I do a select all in my Accordance Note and paste it to column B the Numbers program puts each word in a new column. For example,

Column A Row 1757 - Lk 1:4 Column B Row 1757 - Another Column C Row 1757 -  note Column D Row 1757 - in Column E Row 1757 - question

That is obviously not usable, and in such a case I need to go back and copy each note in the verse reference independently and insert it.

It appears beyond random when it works and when it does not and separates the words, but I assume it has something to do with the original note in Accordance and how it is formatted or something. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on and how to prevent the issue?

Thank you,

Kristin

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Does this happen in another spreadsheet app (such as Excel or LibreOffice Calc)? That would help pinpoint if it’s an Accordance notes issue or an issue with just Numbers.

Hi @Nathan Parker,

It doesn't work at all in other programs. In OpenOffice, for example, it does not even recognize it as a table and starts pasting it as normal text writing over the graph lines. LibreOffice behaves like OpenOffice.

Good to know. Thanks for that! Sounds like it could be some issue on the way Accordance is copying the tables. Have you tried emailing support about it?

Hi @Nathan Parker,

I am sorry for the delay in response. Concerning contacting support directly, I believe I did back in April when I was working on this. I have been involved in other projects at the moment and can't quite remember, but I am pretty sure.

Take care,

Kristin

Kristin,

What I would do is paste a couple working-as-expected lines, and a couple not-working-lines into a text document and see what characters are getting added.

Bbedit is superior for this kind of think, because it shows invisible control characters even.

When I copied and paste using the included "Sample Notes", I don't see any strangeness.

Incidentally, what an arduous task to do manually. This is the type of thing that some basic scripting/shortcut wizardry can do magically.

If you send me a sample of your note, I can have a look at automating the conversion of a note.

I don't use User Notes, but just threw this together as an example (since I'm preaching it Sunday)... does it basically illustrate how the text of Notes look and are formatted? Because if it's pretty reliable as such, it's easy to have a shortcut script to automagically put that into a spreadsheet.

---------------------------

Matt. 6:19

What is the opposite of θησαυρίζω “to store up”?

βρῶσις is definitely not “rust”. It’s some other animal/insect that eats away at stuff, like “vermin” or “pests”. Wealth is not stored as things that rust.

Offers pragmatic reasons again… you don’t store earthly treasures not (just) because it’s “wrong”, but because it doesn’t work. It’ll get eaten up or stolen.

Matt. 6:20

Treasures in heaven is another eschatological image

Matt. 6:21

“heart” here as decision-making organ. We make decisions based on our priorities (valuations we place on aspects of our life)

Contrast w/ “heart of the earth” Matt 4:20

Matt. 6:22

The “eye” was thought as letting images of light into the head where those were illuminated.

Matt. 6:23

Darkness because the eyes aren’t working and no light gets in

Matt. 6:24

Serving two masters discussing makes clear the assumption (condoning) of a system of slaver in the economy.

“love” the other is ἀγαπάω, demonstrating that the whole agape love is blah blah while fileo love is blah blah is complete hogwash.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1

Avoiding work I should be doing, so I made the script and posted it in the General Forum here:

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 6:48 AM, Joe Weaks said:

Avoiding work I should be doing, so I made the script and posted it in the General Forum here:

I'll test this Joe, but can I put it on the exchange?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ken Simpson said:

I'll test this Joe, but can I put it on the exchange?

Sure!

• Like 1