TOPIC command does not work!

Accordance Enthusiast

I do not often use this command, but it works very poorly!

Look at the gibberish result below:

image.thumb.png.73dda86534c7c745d255d8b97e32b92f.png

It does not even find the topic "PETER" in any lexicon or dictionary although that name occurs hundreds of times:

image.png.789dc3f994728595960c186b69cc056a.png

Hope you can fix this bug...

AFAIK right now only the texts are supported, not the tools. The tools are not so deep tagged. It is based on the verse refs of the Bible. 

It is not tagged in a commentary or lexicon like [TOPIC Paul: He went down to Antiochia and bla bla bla]. So  it is possible to search for the Topic Paul everywhere Paul is mentioned or talked about him, comes up in the search. This would be a huge amount of work. May a AI / KI or a search like for the web would do it.

But I guess it would be easily possible to add the TOPIC search on the verse refs in the tools. For example we use the TOPIC Paul and the verse ref Acts 9,2 is coming up in the tools. As there the nothing is with Paul or Saul but it is coming up in the texts. 

I mean like you make a search in the text for [TOPIC Paul], after you copy as Citation, and put the verse refs in the Research. Choose Tools and Verse. 

864489572_Bildschirmfoto2022-04-04um09_07_43.png.03b45cb7438cee620f3f5ed62948d1ff.png

And you get

384041999_Bildschirmfoto2022-04-04um09_08_23.thumb.png.0506b3c8e9a3defd2d899f8dd4e7ae60.png

This should be easy to develop. As if you make the Research [TOPIC Paul] simply run the search of the database which the Bible uses.

+1 for make the topic search available for tools too.  

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fabian said:

@R. Mansfield can you put this in the feature request forum.

Evidently, someone beat me to it.

• Like 1

Actually, the [TOPIC] command DOES work in the Research Tab with Texts and Tools. This from the help documentation:

Note: When performing a [TOPIC] search in the Research Tab, texts are searched for the verses, but tools are searched for the topic itself, allowing for a single comprehensive search.

It's actually pretty cool. The [TOPIC] command will search for the Topic in a Text, and it will search the Title/Entry followed by Content fields of Tools for the Topic word.

The issue @Anonymous is having is that he's trying to perform a flex search along with the Topic search, and that's not going to work. Simply select the "Exact Search" option and it will work as expected. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 2.05.21 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

Should not in the TOPIC search the ~ goes to =? If this is necessary for an accurate search.

O.K. My solution is the same in the Texts but not in the Tools.

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

It is possible to set the preference in the Reading/Research section of the Accordance Preferences to do an exact search. Under the Research half at the bottom, see the "Find results using" and choose "Exact search". 

I have been annoyed by fuzzy searches with Research, so I am glad that Mark provided the note above. :)

—Joseph the Glad

• Like 2

Thanks Mark, 

But you should really update accordance so that it AUTOMATICALLY changes the search to an exact search when needed!

Regards

• Like 2