Jastrow's Lexicon

Accordance Enthusiast

Jastrow's Lexicon is an excellent resource for study in Rabbinic literature.

I often need to look up words in Jastrow and would like to have that on Accordance.

Please add this to your Hebrew Lexicon collection

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Anonymous said:

Jastrow's Lexicon is an excellent resource for study in Rabbinic literature.

I often need to look up words in Jastrow and would like to have that on Accordance.

Please add this to your Hebrew Lexicon collection

This has been requested any number of times, the biggest problem apparently being the absence of an electronic text. That being said, Jastrow is outdated. Several requests have been made for Sokoloff's equivalent. Take a look here:

I don't know where things are at concerning one or the other. I would reiterate the desire to see a complete Aramaic lexicon for the Targums. This is a clear desideratum.

• Like 3

There is an electronic text of Jastrows lexicon.

It is available for free at Sefaria.org

Thus it would be very easy to incorporate that into Accordance!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

There is an electronic text of Jastrows lexicon.

It is available for free at Sefaria.org

Thus it would be very easy to incorporate that into Accordance!

Yes, the Sefaria version is mentioned in the thread I liked you to (I believe. It's either that thread or another). If you do a search on "Jastrow" in the user forums here, you'll see how many times I've requested it personally, not to mention others making the same request. That being said, if Accordance is going to invest time and money into a complete Aramaic lexicon, and keep it reasonably priced for those who are in the market to buy it, it would be better to focus on something that is more up to date than Jastrow. 

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1

Ok I see.

But Jastrow can be added very easily because it is already available in e-format.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anonymous said:

Ok I see.

But Jastrow can be added very easily because it is already available in e-format.

Agreed

• Like 2

In general should Accordance add more material from Sefaria.

• Like 2

Not having Jastrow has been a long standing gap in Accordance’s lexicon offerings. 

• Like 5

Please give me a reason to pay for the module in Accordance if it's free in Sefaria and they have a much more books to read from Rabbis. And this for free?

For me is Accordance great for Christianity but for Judaism I go to the Rabbis.

I looked into Jastrow last year and Sefaria doesn't make these files available like they do for other texts.

Edited by Jordan S

1 minute ago, Jordan S said:

I looked into Jastrow last year and Sefaria doesn't make these files available like they do for other texts.

Have you sent them an email and asked?

I didn't last time for whatever reason. I don't recall if I read something or was told by someone internally in conversation that it was pursued before without success.

Regardless, I emailed now. I've been meaning to email them anyway about other rabbinic texts that would complement A Scripture Index to Rabbinic Literature.

• Like 7

On 4/1/2022 at 11:09 PM, Jordan S said:

Regardless, I emailed now. I've been meaning to email them anyway about other rabbinic texts that would complement A Scripture Index to Rabbinic Literature.

Thank you! I hope they get back to you and allow the use of their textual version of Jastrow's Lexicon!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Much thanks, Jordan, for pursuing more rabbinic texts (potentially including Jastrow's and Klein's dictionaries) from Sefaria.  Thanks Accordance!

(And let me add that I'd love anything by Sokoloff also :)

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1