Find that Greek Verse #3

Brian K. Mitchell

Read, translate, and Find

HINT: Quoted from somewhere in the LXX / Septuagint

Ἄκουε Ἰσραὴλ, Κύριος ὁ Θεὸς ἡμῶν, Κύριος εἷς ἐστι Καὶ ἀγαπήσεις Κύριον τὸν Θεόν σου ἐξ ὅλης τῆς διανοίας σου, καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς ψυχῆς σου, καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς δυνάμεώς σου.

Hint 2: If there would be red letters in the Greek, then this would be in red. Or you turned it off, which is possible in Accordance. 

Edited by Fabian

I don't remember but maybe I turned off the red letters long ago? The OT/LXX  text I copied the quote from did not have any red letters. I will go back and check again...

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell

Deuteronomy 6:4b-5.

Red letters are used in some translations of the NT, putting the words of Jesus Christ in red, though there is some difference of opinion about certain clauses. It would not apply to this passage, though in languages other than English, perhaps the words of the LORD in the OT are printed in red (I am unaware of any English texts that do this).

• Thanks 1

One: You are correct! The quote is of the sh'ma in Deuteronomy 64b -5!

Two: Thank you Michael J. Bolesta for your explanation. I was thinking that the red letters might have something to do Subscript or superscript.

8 minutes ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

One: You are correct! The quote is of the sh'ma in Deuteronomy 64b -5!

Two: Thank you Michael J. Bolesta for your explanation. I was think that the red letters might have something to do Subscript or superscript.

I only wanted to say: Jesus quotes this, and due this it would be in some translations in red.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fabian said:

I only wanted to say: Jesus quotes this, and due this it would be in some translations in red.

Fabian thank you for reminding me of this tradition/custom. This is a very interesting discussion!

AND Yes, Fabian you are right A number English translations of the Bible published in the U.S.A and in Great Britain observe the the Red Letter custom.

In my version of Accordance Bible software the ESV, ASV, and KVJ all have red letters But, not the NET Bible, nor the Bible in Basic English. So it is about 50/50 I guess. Very interesting.

Well here is how Mark 12:29 -30 where Jesus quotes the Deuteronomy 6:4-5 looks like in printed editions of the NT I have. All printed outside of the USA which might be why they do not observe the red letter custom? But, I am not sure...

1098228967_IMG_1634(2).thumb.jpeg.c1e73d5cdf4b289166426df0910ad117.jpeg

IMG_1636.thumb.jpeg.edb51660fd2c7b636fe054f4f1d426a6.jpeg

IMG_1637(1).thumb.jpeg.5cb778aa6de367b3ebc9288c611355f9.jpegIMG_1638.thumb.jpeg.94669379208231f1a1da74ba347bdc8f.jpegIMG_1641.thumb.jpeg.1a1d285260cb9ff405134b968e9b422e.jpegIMG_1639.thumb.JPEG.65340ff0339311e49b9db9396fed0dd1.JPEG

BTW I guess it would be good if Accordance support 

There are Bible software which support this. 

• Like 1

I like this idea after all the printed Japanese Bibles all have rubies/furigana.