lexeme vs construct

Kristin

I am kind of confused. I was searching for all hits of the lexeme אוֹר regardless of key and whatever and searching the lexeme I get 122 hits. However, if I do a construct looking for the lexeme I get 176 hits??

I see the lexeme search scrubbed out the hit of Ur in Gen 11:31, so it is getting out what it perceives as different meanings, but it is still a lexeme.

So I guess I don't understand what a lexeme search is vs a construct search.

Thanks,

Kristin

1975676250_Bildschirmfoto2022-03-13um16_01_35.thumb.png.b33581087cea4b072acc0f6765b379dc.png

Kristen,

The difference here has nothing to do with using a Construct tab vs. the Search tab. There is a subtle difference between the two searches which is giving you different results. Note how in the Search tab an equals sign appears before the lexical form אוֹר. The equals sign is missing from the Construct. If you add the equals sign in the Construct window (to the right of אוֹר) you'll get the same number of hits.

What does the equals sign do? It tells Accordance to pay attention to the vowel points. Without it, Accordance ignores the pointing even if it is there. We do this so new Hebrew students won't get frustrated by a search failing because they accidentally entered the wrong vowel points.

So the equals sign limits the search to the lexical form אוֹר, meaning "light," while the search without it finds any lexical form with the consonants אור, which is why it finds "Ur" in Genesis 11:31.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

The details of the equal sign usage are found in 17 places in the Acc 6.4 grammatical supplement pdf. Search for 'equal sign' or look for it in the table of contents. I mention this because having attempted to discover exactly what the equal sign means I have on numerous occasions needed to review it. 

There should be a more recent document but I haven't had the occasion to need a more recent document. If the following link doesn't work I will be more than happy to send you a copy. 

Accordance Version 6.4 Supplement For Grammatically Tagged Texts

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

The details of the equal sign usage are found in 17 places in the Acc 6.4 grammatical supplement pdf. Search for 'equal sign' or look for it in the table of contents. I mention this because having attempted to discover exactly what the equal sign means I have on numerous occasions needed to review it. 

There should be a more recent document but I haven't had the occasion to need a more recent document. If the following link doesn't work I will be more than happy to send you a copy. 

Accordance Version 6.4 Supplement For Grammatically Tagged Texts

I recently mentioned, that some PDFs are not found anymore on the website.