Regular updates...

Paul Meiklejohn

The bad news is the app crash did wipe out my modules, and I don’t have an easy way to resolve the issue at the moment after chatting with support since this has been a difficult to resolve issue. So for the time being, I’ve temporarily removed the app, and I’ll focus on using the desktop app at the moment, and I’ll reinstall the app once the improved syncing becomes available. 

In the meantime, once the web app is available, I’ll be glad to test it on my iPad as a hold over until the iOS app is back in business for me.

A couple bits of good news: One is I was able to give some useful info to support that can hopefully resolve this and a couple other issues with the iOS app, so it’s worth temporarily not having access to Accordance for iOS if it means support can squash a couple of pesky bugs. The second bit of good news is I found out a little bit about one feature coming in a future version of Accordance that’s definitely going to make it worth paying the upgrade fee for, but I won’t say any more. 🙂

Good news. The bug report I sent to Accordance support was able to be duplicated, so Accordance is able to finally squash a longstanding bug with Accordance Mobile that has been troubling users for a while. I also found an issue with an Accordance module that was corrupted. 

So while I had to ensure a couple of issues with Accordance Mobile, it’s been worth it knowing that other customers will finally have a couple of longstanding issues corrected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Good news. The bug report I sent to Accordance support was able to be duplicated, so Accordance is able to finally squash a longstanding bug with Accordance Mobile that has been troubling users for a while. I also found an issue with an Accordance module that was corrupted. 

So while I had to ensure a couple of issues with Accordance Mobile, it’s been worth it knowing that other customers will finally have a couple of longstanding issues corrected.

Nathan, is this the bug that wipes text modules when using "Synch with Mobile Device" between Mac and iOS device? If so, it is indeed good news. When I reported it to tech support, I was told that they could not replicate the problem. I have been able to get a few items synched, but had to depend on Easy Install for others.

Not that one (yet, since I can’t get Sync with Mobile Device to do anything for me but stall), but there is another bug where when trying to move a module from one category to another or to custom folders, Accordance would crash, then the majority of the modules would become wiped out. Accordance Support has been trying to duplicate the issue for a long while now, but it’s been hard to pinpoint. It happened to me again recently, but this time I was finally able to give Accordance Support the exact steps they needed to duplicate the issue and get the necessary logs to support. So while I had to endure it, it was worth it knowing customers will have this issue resolved.

The syncing issue may be resolved later this year (after chatting with Support), although I won’t give any additional details since I don’t want to spoil any surprises. When Accordance is ready to tell more, Rick can always share more screenshots with updated version numbers. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve managed to reinstall Accordance on my iOS devices tonight and get the bulk of my modules reinstalled over Easy Install (my Internet is faster and more reliable now, so it worked). There’s a handful of content that requires Wi-Fi syncing that didn’t come over, plus I’m not going to re-create my custom module categories at the moment (I’ll wait until a new syncing system is added in place, for now I’ll just open my modules via search if I can’t remember what category they’re in). 

At least in the meantime, I can access some of my Accordance library on my iOS devices again, and the rest can wait until enhanced syncing is in place.

Another feature I’d like to see is bookmarks in the Web Browser. Right now I’m using a User Tool for these, but it’s not the most convenient way to pull this off.

The entire reason I posted the following topic was to "poke the bear" so to speak and solicit a response.

https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/33207-accordance-technology-roadmap/

I have spend the last decade working on projects migrating applications to the Cloud. An under resourced company cannot successfully continue to develop for multiple platforms. This is why subscriptions are so popular and growing in Web services. You will also struggle to adopt new technologies.

As far as I am concerned Accordance is on borrowed time with it's current technology. I have invested a lot of cost in the Accordance libraries and will virtualise it all if I ever need to. However, that does not mean I have to accept low standards and that I cannot hope for better. There is always room for improvement and new paradigms can offer great advancements.

I'd like to qualify by "low standards" I am referring to crashing in particular. I like using Accordance when it does not crash :)

• Like 1

I’ve had an occasional crash in Accordance, but I’ve had far more crashes in apps such as Logos. They seem to be finally stabling out somewhat, but when they were on the release new features every six weeks, Logos seemed less reliable.

From what I gather from Accordance management (this is just an observation), they’re not a fan of the subscription model and prefer revenue come from module sells and major app version upgrades. I personally would be willing to invest in an annual subscription with Accordance for extra perks such as a web app, major version upgrades included, etc., to help cover design/hosting costs (since I know all of that takes money). Accordance doesn’t seem to prefer this route though. On the flip side, I canceled all of my subscriptions with Logos. I didn’t feel they were worth the investment I was putting into them, and the overall direction Logos has been going doesn’t put me in the “mood” to be a subscriber to their services but instead just buy books from them when I absolutely need it.

It will be interesting to see what future technology brings to the table. At the same time, as Accordance invests in new technologies/features/platforms, they should do so to truly make our Bible study easier, not to add additional bloat to the program or to chase the next platform fad, an area some of Accordance’s competitors have fallen into in the past. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Someone listed features currently in BibleWorks that isn’t in Accordance yet.

One thing that would be useful would be for users to list features in BibleWorks or Wordsearch that isn’t in Accordance yet that would be beneficial to have in Accordance. That might help Accordance be appealing to more BibleWorks and Wordsearch users to switch.

Here seems to be the main Wordsearch features:

• ZipScript: Accordance could probably soup up “get verses” with some of the functionality of ZipScript, plus make an option to keep it running in the background when Accordance is closed.
  • Instant Verse Study
  • Lessonmaker: Papers has the bulk of this functionality now. Accordance could add a few minor tweaks for building lesson plans to it, and presto
  • Lexicon Explorer: Something like this seems to be on the way in Accordance 14
  • Verse Explorer: Info Pane has the majority of this functionality already, if there are any feature gaps, they should be pretty easy
  • Topic Explorer/Cross Reference Explorer: Probably Research can do what both of these did, but I’d have to see if there are any feature gaps
  • Morphology Explorer
  • Sermon/Illustration Organizer: Stacks/Papers can do some of this already. It’s possible Stacks/Papers could be tweaked for additional sermon/illustration management
  • Like 1

Nathan, does BibleWorks have a Library Manager?

2 minutes ago, cweber said:

Nathan, does BibleWorks have a Library Manager?

It did, but the categories were pre-set, not user-modifiable.

• Like 1

I’m glad Donald answered. I never had the chance to try BW. Once I finally was going to get it, they went out of business.

The good news is the money I planned to spend on BW, I invested it in Accordance modules.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A feature similar to the Logos “Factbook” would also be useful in Accordance. It wouldn’t have to have all the features/tagging that the Logos Factbook has, but maybe an improved variant of Research that brings together dictionary and journal articles, etc., on certain biblical topics, people, places, themes, etc. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 12:59 AM, Donald Cobb said:

It did, but the categories were pre-set, not user-modifiable.

Actually the categories in BW were user modifiable, but you had to dig pretty deep into a supporting text file! :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mgvh said:

Actually the categories in BW were user modifiable, but you had to dig pretty deep into a supporting text file! :)

By faith (and certainly not by sight!), I stand corrected. 😀

• Like 2