Regular updates...

Paul Meiklejohn

15 minutes ago, Michel Gilbert said:

Erhard,

There are so many things that I love about Accordance that I wouldn’t switch to another program.

That being said, it irritates me to no end that there isn't a chapter and verse selector. So at least put me down as one who misses that feature from other programs. I don’t know how many times I’ve mistyped a chapter and verse reference or how many more times I was using my system Hebrew or Greek keyboard and started typing and had to backtrack; and either way, having to delete a reference before typing in a new one. I’m also usually reading something, with either an iPad or real book in one hand, so having to always put it down to type a verse on a keyboard is right up there as the most annoying feature in Accordance.

I do vaguely recall that Rick said there was a way to type the reference without having to delete the previous one. But even if I remembered and did it, it’s not as intuitive or as convenient as a chapter and verse selector.

Michel

Totally agreed on these last two posts. That being said, it would not be enough for me to consider changing software. This request has been made in the past (several times). We can only hope that it will be implemented in the next version of Accordance. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Michel Gilbert said:

There are so many things that I love about Accordance that I wouldn’t switch to another program.

I agree with this, I would not switch now, but it did keep me from originally considering it, so it may have kept others from going with Accordance in the first place as well.

I actually use the Keyboard Viewer in Mac or On-Screen Keyboard in Windows to type in verses. I find I don’t lose my reading place as easily if I keep my iPad or book in my hand.

This is not as inefficient as it sounds. You don’t have to capitalize the names of books and if you have Appearance > Use European verse notation checked, you can use a comma to separate chapter and verse, so you don’t have to use Shift; you can get to where you want to go with your mouse.

A Book/Chapter/Verse selector similar to what Wordsearch had would be handy. While I've gotten it down overall well to just type in the verse references I need to look up (I can still do it faster than I can on most other Bible software), I do occasionally make typos that throws up errors. a B/C/V selector would be super-handy for sure.

In addition to Accordance offering the super-great Wordsearch Crossgrade package of books to help former Wordsearch customers try Accordance, what other features (besides a B/C/V selector) that were in Wordsearch that are not currently in Accordance do you believe would make your Bible study in Accordance more rewarding, as well as which features that were in Wordsearch that are not currently in Accordance do you believe would convince more former Wordsearch customers to give Accordance a try?

23 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

In addition to Accordance offering the super-great Wordsearch Crossgrade package of books to help former Wordsearch customers try Accordance, what other features (besides a B/C/V selector) that were in Wordsearch that are not currently in Accordance do you believe would make your Bible study in Accordance more rewarding, as well as which features that were in Wordsearch that are not currently in Accordance do you believe would convince more former Wordsearch customers to give Accordance a try?

For me, that was the one at the beginning. I also have Bibleworks, Logos and eword. (I also tried Olivetree) I found myself mainly using BW because of the B/C/V selector. Now, I almost exclusively use Accordance and just use BW for custom timelines and L for resources not in Accordance. It's just initially when I tried Accordance, the lack of that feature kept me from exploring and using Accordance more.

12 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

You don’t have to capitalize the names of books and if you have Appearance > Use European verse notation checked, you can use a comma to separate chapter and verse, so you don’t have to use Shift

You can use a period (.) to separate chapter from verse -- e.g. John 3.16. No need to use European notation.

This works at BibleGateway and in other Bible software, as well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

For those who have said they would be willing to pay to help contribute to Accordance app development, one suggestion I’d have that users could do right now is invest in Accordance gift certificates (unless there are any particular book/module purchases you need to make right now, in which you could simply go for those).

Accordance gets streams of funding to help contribute to future versions of Accordance and helps cover development costs.

Accordance users get their money “banked” in their Accordance accounts to put toward future book/module purchases (when such purchases come up) or future Accordance upgrades.

Everyone wins.

I was considering doing this myself, but instead I’m going to regularly purchase some Accordance modules instead (probably try to make at least a small purchase each month, at times maybe some larger purchases when I can). I’m also crossgrading some stuff from Logos into Accordance. I’ve decided to forfeit the 30% crossgrade discount on anything I crossgrade from Logos to Accordance so Accordance can put the extra funding toward app development. I’m getting some small discount at the moment (probably academic). Once it expires, I’ll just pay retail for everything. I’m considering it my small part I can help continue contributing to Accordance app development.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One feature I’d pay for just to have is solid syncing to replace Dropbox/Wi-Fi. Even if syncing didn’t make it in the next major release of Accordance (say Accordance 14), I personally would be willing to pay another small upgrade fee afterward for a version of Accordance (say Accordance “14.5”) that just had syncing in it. Solid syncing is the one major feature that would make my Bible study with Accordance even better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

One feature I’d pay for just to have is solid syncing to replace Dropbox/Wi-Fi.

I am almost positive I read somewhere on the forums that they are working on their own internal syncing system!!

• Like 2

They might be, although to quote Schultz on Hogan’s Heroes “I know nothing!”.

One feature I’d like to see in Accordance is cross-field NEAR searching. I’d like to be able to search for a Scripture passage NEAR a word, especially in the theological journals. This is something I use heavily in Logos (I can post a screenshot of how I do it if that would help). If Accordance releases additional TJL volumes in the future (they might, although I’m not telling), then in addition to my upgrading to the latest TJL volumes, this one feature would allow me to move my journal searching from Logos to Accordance.

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

They might be, although to quote Schultz on Hogan’s Heroes “I know nothing!”.

One feature I’d like to see in Accordance is cross-field NEAR searching. I’d like to be able to search for a Scripture passage NEAR a word, especially in the theological journals. This is something I use heavily in Logos (I can post a screenshot of how I do it if that would help). If Accordance releases additional TJL volumes in the future (they might, although I’m not telling), then in addition to my upgrading to the latest TJL volumes, this one feature would allow me to move my journal searching from Logos to Accordance.

Hi Nathan, can't you get something along those lines with a <WITHIN> search or <FOLLOWED BY>? Or, are you thinking of something else?

I’ll try it. Thanks! I didn’t know if there was a way to do that across fields (I’d need to be able to search for a Scripture near an English Content term).

Is the company in that bad of shape that we need to create streams of funding to keep it afloat? 

I can’t speak directly for Accordance since I don’t work for them (yet, that could change in the future).

In general, with inflation, high gas/food prices, etc. affecting the overall economy, everyone is being affected in some area, and smaller companies are certainly feeling their share of the hurt. Small businesses in my own home town are feeling it, which has caused me to really re-think my shopping strategies and attempt to prioritize smaller businesses over larger corporations. I’ve moved my grocery shopping to two smaller stores, my insurance to my local farm bureau, etc. Even after the economy eventually recovers, the struggle of small businesses has opened my eyes to the need to support small businesses when I can, so it’s a trend I’ll continue.

Additionally, the book/Biblical studies publishing industry as a whole has certainly been affected by the overall economic issues just as every other industry. People are certainly prioritizing gas and food over general shopping, plus the Biblical studies publishing industry is already somewhat of a “niche” market.

However, two things in the Biblical studies and Bible software industry’s favor are that there are still large amounts of students attending Bible college and seminary (mine is certainly seeing strong enrollment numbers), plus the economy has increased people’s seeking out for biblical truth and the Word of God. These are two areas in which Biblical studies publishers and Bible software companies can market to in order to help bring in extra sales during these economic times.

My comments above are more of a response to those who state that they’d like a way to contribute to Accordance to help with regular software developments. There are certainly development costs involved with regular updates to any software application to provide for a quality program, especially on the caliber of Accordance. Since Accordance makes its money off of either the Accordance engine or module sales, and since the majority of us here are already on Accordance 13, my suggestion is those who have a desire to contribute to Accordance to help with regular software developments can either regularly purchase Accordance modules (which is something I plan to do, even if it’s a small purchase each month), or if there’s a module you just don’t need at the moment, why not purchase Accordance gift certificates on your account? It’ll give you the satisfaction of contributing to Accordance’s app development today, plus the funds are “banked” in your Accordance account that can be put toward future module purchases or Accordance upgrades. Or if there are modules on your wish list you want to have, go for them, as that’s what funds Accordance’s development and allows them to provide for regular, quality updates.

For me, I’ll just regularly purchase modules instead since there’s plenty on my wishlist I’d like to have in Accordance. I’m also interested in crossgrading more of my Logos content into Accordance so I can pivot to using Accordance more in my daily Bible study. I like the overall direction Accordance is headed in over some of the bloat Logos has been headed into (while I won’t discontinue using Logos, I simply want to integrate Accordance deeper into my workflow, cross grading modules into Accordance will help me fulfill that). Since others on these forums have inspired me to help contribute to Accordance’s development, I’ve decided on modules I need to crossgrade, I’ll waive asking for the 30% discount and pay the retail price for the modules as an extra “thank you” to the Accordance development team. I get a small (academic) discount already, but once that expires, I’ll probably just pay full retail. 

I’m also pivoting my purchase strategy where I’ll choose more Accordance modules over Logos resources when possible. There’s still some stuff I’ll need to buy from Logos that isn’t in Accordance and likely wouldn’t be a good fit for Accordance, but when possible, my goal is to purchase more with Accordance. It’s part of my strategy to go with smaller companies versus larger companies. Of the two, Logos has all of its subscription services and offerings and bloat where I’d rather be spending the bulk of my purchasing with a smaller, more personal company such as Accordance, plus there is a need for multiple players in the Bible software industry, and Accordance is fulfilling a major need for all of us who study the Word.

I know I can’t totally get away from “big companies”. I tried using a Linux PC as a daily driver for a bit. It simply didn’t work out. I loved the tech support I received from the company (System76), and it felt great to be a customer and support them. If you can run with Linux as a daily driver (or even need a dual boot Linux/Windows PC), I’d highly recommend them.

For me, I had to go back to a Mac, and I’m using iCloud+ and a couple of Apple’s services. Apple’s hardware and operating systems simply “fit” my workflow better that I can’t get out of. I can’t totally go 100% “small businesses”, and I don’t need to try to pull off something I know isn’t realistic. However, I can support smaller businesses in other ways (buying Accordance modules, shopping local and smaller stores when possible, etc). Just knowing I can do what I can, especially at this time in our economy, is a good feeling (now I’m starting to sound like Mr. Rogers).

I can’t get the WITHIN search to work in Journals with a Scripture passage.

I can get close by choosing a Scripture passage field AND an English Content field. But it’s not quite where I want it to be.

If there was a way for Accordance to add a NEAR or even WITHIN operator that works across fields, that would do what I’d need.

The search how I currently run it in Logos is: <Bible=John 1:1> NEAR Word

Being able to simplify this in Accordance would be great.

It would also be great to be able to do such cross-field searching in Research with all of my journals at once (that way I won’t have to search each collection of journals individually).

These two enhancements would allow me to bring much of my Logos searching over to Accordance, and do it in a simpler way than I do it today.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:55 PM, Daniel Wagner said:

Is the company in that bad of shape that we need to create streams of funding to keep it afloat? 

Nope.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

Nope.

Yes, nope. I wonder what kind of spirit is behind this short of questions that reveal nothing in themselves.

19 hours ago, HansK said:

Yes, nope. I wonder what kind of spirit is behind this short of questions that reveal nothing in themselves.

I wouldn't read that much into it. I just answered the question, and there wasn't anything more needed to say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rick, you are a man of few words (sometimes).

• Like 1

Just now, Michael J. Bolesta said:

Rick, you are a man of few words (sometimes).

True.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Reminds me of one of my longtime family friend’s son. He only texts one or two word responses. His mother finally calls him when she wants a more lengthy response.

Whenever he gets married, I’m looking forward to receiving the wedding invitation text (he probably won’t send out formal invitations).

• 2 weeks later...

I’m hoping after the next major upgrade to Accordance Desktop that the teams are able to pivot toward Accordance Mobile for iOS. Accordance Mobile just crashed when I attempted to re-arrange a couple of modules. Now most of my modules are no longer appearing in the app. 

I have an email into support to see if there’s an easy resolution. If not, since Wi-Fi syncing isn’t functioning for me at all without stalling, and it’s too painful to attempt to re-download my Accordance library over Easy Install, I may just drop using Accordance Mobile until improved syncing becomes available. I can’t re-setup everything each time a crash occurs when I make a minor change.

Didn't realize Accordance had new majority ownership. That's probably a testament to the new owner sharing the same vision/mission as the Browns. I am grateful for that. 

I recently got rid of my iPad Pro and bought a MacBook Pro. The iPad Accordance app was a major reason for the shift. I just needed more out of Accordance on the go. The iPad was great for so many things. Accordance was not one of them. I've had an iPad since the original iPad, so this is the first time in more than a decade I don't have one. I waited 12ish years for a good Accordance app, and I'm not sure that's ever going to happen at this point.

That being said, Accordance is the most important app on my Macs. It's the reason I switched to Mac in 2005. I look forward to many more years of studying and teaching God's Word with Accordance as my main tool for seeking to understand the text.

• Like 1

The Accordance desktop app is running well for me, and I can use it exclusively for a bit if Technical Support is unable to get the issues resolved with Accordance Mobile short-term. I have an iMac Pro at the moment. I could invest in a Mac notebook down the road if I really need a portable copy of Accordance. I’d be willing to do that until syncing between Mac and iOS is less of a “pain point”.

I’ve already switched from an iPad Pro to an iPad mini since I’ve pivoted my iPad use to more what the iPad was originally designed for: consumption. I mainly use it to read books, news, light web browsing, and reading emails. I occasionally type an email or message on it, but otherwise I use my Mac for most real work and my iPhone for messaging. I don’t see myself going back to an iPad for heavy work. I’d probably buy a notebook instead. Even the enhancements of iPadOS itself just aren’t where I’d need them for the work I do.

I was using the Accordance Mobile app mainly for light reading of Accordance modules on my iPad mini, but I could move that to the desktop app for the time being. However, I still want my entire Accordance library accessible across all my devices, just in case I need to access an Accordance module. For now that’s meant downloading all of my Accordance modules onto my iOS devices (which has been fine since I have really roomy iOS devices). If Accordance changes that to allow streaming modules from the cloud in the iOS app, that would work for me as well. I may even try the web app once released as a hold over until I can get Accordance Mobile functional again if Accordance Mobile can’t be resolved short-term. Even a web app would work for me. Basically on the mobile front, I just don’t want to have to download over 20GB of books when an app crash wipes them out. 🙂