English Grammars

Matthew Rauh

I was wondering if adding English grammars to Accordance (or grammars in native languages) would be a help.  In my studies I find myself reviewing my own language's grammatical rules to see what corresponds to the grammar the Greek or Hebrew is using.  How would my language express that under its own grammatical rules?  

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-English-Students-Biblical-Languages/dp/0310098440

I haven’t looked at it, but I imagine it would be very helpful.

I really like Gary Long’s Grammatical Concepts 101. That might be a good addition.

For my new Greek students (who may not remember their English grammar), I recommend:

•    Greenwood, Kyle. 2020. Dictionary of English Grammar for Students of Biblical Languages. Grand Rapids, Mich: Zondervan. ISBN: 9780310098447
•    Lamerson, Samuel. 2004. English Grammar to Ace New Testament Greek. 7.1.2004 edition. Grand Rapids, Mich: Zondervan. ISBN: 9780310255345  (#AmzAssocLinks)

• Like 3

Thanks for the resources.  I will check them out.

Learning languages improves your English skills, but a familiarity with English grammar helps learning Greek and Hebrew and Latin.  I still remember being overwhelmed by the designations you encounter like "substantive, predicate, attendant, etc." which I didn't quite master in English.  I found myself spending much time learning the designations before learning the language.