Jump to content

Accordance on Linux using CrossOver Captain's Logbook


Nathan Parker
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm starting this thread to log my experiences with installing Accordance on Linux using CrossOver. This will also serve as the place where I'll post my instructions on how to do it should I be successful, as well as any updates to my instructions and community-troubleshooting that arises out of it.

 

Those interested in following my progress can follow this thread.

 

I am not guaranteeing that I can successfully run Accordance on Linux using CrossOver, but I'm going to give it the best shot I can!

 

Here are my specs:

 

Hardware: System76 Galago Pro with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD

 

OS: Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS (Ubuntu-based distro)

 

CrossOver version: 21.1.0

 

Accordance version: 13.3.2

 

I'm starting with this archive file, using the Windows 7 "kitchen sink", and I was told by CrossOver Support to install the archive file, then bump up the Windows version to Windows 10:

 

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/unsupported_deps

 

That'll give me a good head start on various Windows dependencies to try. 

 

I've also been told by another Accordance user that I'll need to install DirectX/Direct3D 12. I will try that.

 

What I do with CrossOver can likely eventually be done on the free version of WINE as well, but I am choosing the paid version of CrossOver for the following reasons:

 

1. Easier to install instructions since I can use a UI for just about everything instead of the Terminal command line.

 

2. I do have access to CrossOver support I can bounce questions off of if need be. I also have access to System76 support with this machine.

 

3. I've joined their "BetterTester" program, so I also have access to a deeper level of support forums from other CrossOver testers.

 

4. I may be able to package up a CrossOver bottle that contains Accordance pre-installed on it that would allow one to simply import the bottle and run the Accordance setup assistant to start using Accordance, provided I'm successful with getting it going in the first place. That would further streamline the installation process.

 

5. As a "Better Tester", I've also joined the "Advocate" list for Accordance on CrossOver (so I can monitor any other testing reports that come in with users attempting to install Accordance on Linux using CrossOver), plus I've "voted" to have CrossOver support offer official support for Accordance on CrossOver (meaning CrossOver support looks at votes and the apps with more votes, they devote more time to trying to improve CrossOver so the app will run on there. I can ask CrossOver if users can signup for a free account and "vote" on such apps without being a paid customer/"BetterTester").

 

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. I hope it goes well!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I'm starting this thread to log my experiences with installing Accordance on Linux using CrossOver. This will also serve as the place where I'll post my instructions on how to do it should I be successful, as well as any updates to my instructions and community-troubleshooting that arises out of it.

 

Those interested in following my progress can follow this thread.

 

I am not guaranteeing that I can successfully run Accordance on Linux using CrossOver, but I'm going to give it the best shot I can!

 

Here are my specs:

 

Hardware: System76 Galago Pro with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD

 

OS: Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS (Ubuntu-based distro)

 

CrossOver version: 21.1.0

 

Accordance version: 13.3.2

 

I'm starting with this archive file, using the Windows 7 "kitchen sink", and I was told by CrossOver Support to install the archive file, then bump up the Windows version to Windows 10:

 

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/unsupported_deps

 

That'll give me a good head start on various Windows dependencies to try. 

 

I've also been told by another Accordance user that I'll need to install DirectX/Direct3D 12. I will try that.

 

What I do with CrossOver can likely eventually be done on the free version of WINE as well, but I am choosing the paid version of CrossOver for the following reasons:

 

1. Easier to install instructions since I can use a UI for just about everything instead of the Terminal command line.

 

2. I do have access to CrossOver support I can bounce questions off of if need be. I also have access to System76 support with this machine.

 

3. I've joined their "BetterTester" program, so I also have access to a deeper level of support forums from other CrossOver testers.

 

4. I may be able to package up a CrossOver bottle that contains Accordance pre-installed on it that would allow one to simply import the bottle and run the Accordance setup assistant to start using Accordance, provided I'm successful with getting it going in the first place. That would further streamline the installation process.

 

5. As a "Better Tester", I've also joined the "Advocate" list for Accordance on CrossOver (so I can monitor any other testing reports that come in with users attempting to install Accordance on Linux using CrossOver), plus I've "voted" to have CrossOver support offer official support for Accordance on CrossOver (meaning CrossOver support looks at votes and the apps with more votes, they devote more time to trying to improve CrossOver so the app will run on there. I can ask CrossOver if users can signup for a free account and "vote" on such apps without being a paid customer/"BetterTester").

 

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. I hope it goes well!

 

the other beauty of Pop_OS is that it is based on Debian and Ubuntu distros. These are major players in the Linux world. So if it works on this, it should, in theory, carry over and work on any down stream distro's. 

 

I think you were wise going to the paid version of CrossOver. Support, especially at the level you are going, is worth every penny. 

 

I am following. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have tried those settings, both on 13 and 12. Only on Accordance 12 do I get a GUI to work, but too buggy to be usable. Maybe you can try your luck with both versions as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s possible I’ll need the next major release of CrossOver for DirectX 12 support:

 

https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/cjsilver/2021/12/22/were-getting-there-crossover-support-for-directx-12

 

I’ll still try with the current version, and if I hit a snag, I’ll try it with the next major release. I’ll probably invest in the annual support contract for this (it’s a small fee and I have enough Windows apps that can run on CrossOver that would benefit from it). As a “BetterTester” I may be able to get my hands on a beta of the next major release as well. 
 

I’ve also chosen CrossOver over the free WINE since the funds help to contribute to WINE development, and the way I look at it is, I’ve invested enough in software already that the small investment I make in CrossOver is worth it to allow ,e to get my software investment running on Linux. I’ll f I can get by without a Windows VM, all the merrier. 
 

Pop!_OS has been a joy to use and rock solid. Love the fact that it’s Ubuntu/Debian compatible so it puts me in a “sweet spot” to help other users on similar distros. The support and hardware from System76 is top notch as well. 
 

i chose an LTS version of Pop!_OS so the feature set wouldn’t change rapidly and I’d have something stable for the long haul. It also helps when consulting with users on older hardware. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's where I'm at so far...

 

My current specs are:

Accordance version: 13.3.2

CrossOver Linux version: 21.1.0

Linux Distro: Pop!_OS/Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Bottle Windows version: I've tied the 64-Bit_Win10_Dependecies Archive and the Blank_KitchenSinkWin7 Archive where I changed the WINE version to Windows 10.

Dependencies: I installed DirectX for Modern Games. I also tried enabling DXVK Vulkan backend for D3D11.

 

Accordance installs successfully, but when I launch the screen, I'm receiving a solid black screen except for the buttons.

 

Chatting with CrossOver support to attempt to confirm if Accordance 13 requires DirectX 12 support. If so, it'll require CrossOver 22 which is arriving later this year.

 

In the meantime, if you all want me to try Accordance 12 for the fun of it, I can, so I can at least see how it goes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also tried with DXVK (Upstream). Same issue.

 

Tried Accordance 12. I can get through the Setup Assistant, but then the app no longer gets past the Splash Screen when launching the app.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you post a screenshot of the "solid black screen except for the buttons?"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Also tried with DXVK (Upstream). Same issue.

 

Tried Accordance 12. I can get through the Setup Assistant, but then the app no longer gets past the Splash Screen when launching the app.

 

I think you have to switch the windows version to 7/Vista or XP for 12 to show up. Sometimes it helped me to start in in a virtual background to realize that the Accordance menu is working, but no graphics were displaying

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds good. I'll post a screenshot of Accordance 13 with the black background soon, and I'll also try 12 in a 7 or Vista bottle and see what happens.

 

I heard back from CrossOver Support. They're seeing the same blacked out issue with 13 in CrossOver 21. Bad news is it's totally crashing in current pre-release builds of CrossOver 22, but their builds are still early. Once they have a more functioning beta, I should be able to test in a CrossOver 22 beta.

 

For the fun of it, should I also try Accordance 11 and 10?

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion, 12 works better than 11, so there is no need for 11, and 10 is if you want the most stable version under wine, without using VM's

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this is currently just a user-initiated skunkworks project; but as I said a few days ago, if this were to be stable enough, we would consider promoting it in social media and possibly on the website (probably the Accordance blog). Then, you never know, if enough people truly showed interest (as in hundreds or more likely, thousands), something more official could be supported. Nevertheless, I don't want to artificially raise hopes. This a very much an extreme long shot.

 

Having said all that, I would (unofficially) encourage doing what's necessary to get v. 13 running. We're not interested in driving users to older versions because we really want users to be on the most recent builds of Accordance because it helps so much with support efforts.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update. 13 will be my target to try to get working. I'll only temporarily "fall back" to a previous release if I completely hit a brick wall with 13 short-term (which may happen at least until CrossOver 22 is released). Then as new updates to CrossOver become available, I'll continue testing 13 with each release until it's functional enough to use for daily use. 

 

I am having great progress with other apps on CrossOver (Nota Bene runs better than it does on my Mac, EchoLink, GRLevel3, GR2Analyst, Scrivener, and Scapple, only other other app will need CrossOver 22), so I'm optimistic that Accordance could get there. So far, Accordance is the one app keeping me from giving up a PC or Mac entirely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's what Accordance 13 looks like under CrossOver 21. The blackout is probably due to needing DirectX 12 Support, coming in CrossOver 22.

 

I tried Accordance 12 again tonight set to Windows 7. I'm still not able to get past the splash screen to an actual desktop after installing the app.

 

May try 11 or 10 for the fun of it Saturday in case someone has another recommendation on 12.

 

Thanks!

2022-02-25_23-44.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

Having said all that, I would (unofficially) encourage doing what's necessary to get v. 13 running. We're not interested in driving users to older versions because we really want users to be on the most recent builds of Accordance because it helps so much with support efforts.

Is Accordance 13 going to get a fix soon for the issues that have been going on with it such as the update crashes, spreading out over multiple screens and other items that have been mentioned?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This forum thread is for trying to get Accordance running on Linux, so you might want to start a new thread documenting the issues you're seeing plus the OS version you're running it on. That way Accordance developers will be able to see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Accordance 11 is doing the same thing for me as 12. Installs, goes through setup assistant, but can't get past the splash screen upon launch (even in a Windows 7 bottle).

 

Accordance 10 so far is installing and successfully launching after setup assistant. The installation is also very "turn key" in CrossOver 21.

 

The only issue I'm having so far with it (I need to "battle test" it), is I need to manually load in the Accordance Timeline into it since my copy is showing the Expanded Edition that's not supported in 10. I have a license to the version in 10 (since I originally bought the Timeline at Accordance 10) . If someone knows how I can get the module to it, I could manually load it in.

 

Once I'm through testing, I'll produce a summary of my findings. So far it seems to be: Accordance 10 is the most hassle-free installation for CrossOver at the moment, and while a handful of my modules require newer Accordance versions, I can still access the bulk of my library. Accordance 13 may still need a Windows VM at least until I can test in CrossOver 22 with DirectX 12 support. And "if" there's a thing called a web app coming (I'm neither confirming nor denying), that would be a way to access modules not accessible in v10 until better CrossOver support works with 13.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to be clear, you do have the direct rendering manager enabled on your system? Paste the output of glxinfo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the direct rendering manager, I'm not sure. Do I just go to Terminal and enter glxinfo?

 

Here's where I'm at for the moment:

 

I have a big chunk of my library working in Accordance 10 at the moment. I still need to get my hands on a copy of the Accordance Timeline file that could manually be loaded into Accordance 10.

 

I also need to figure out how to flush the Easy Install Module Download Cache. I know how to do it on a Mac but not sure how to do it with the Windows version via CrossOver. If someone knows how, I'd love to know.

 

Once I tackle both of these, I can begin "battle testing" Accordance 10 to see how well it runs on CrossOver, then keep hacking away at 13.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my output of glxinfo:

 

Command 'glxinfo' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install mesa-utils
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Here's my output of glxinfo:

 

Command 'glxinfo' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install mesa-utils
 

@Nathan Parker,

 

The GLX is an important part for linux from what I understand. 

 

It enables a graphic rendering. 

 

I am no programmer so please talk with someone who really knows the ins and outs but here is a small thread about the different systems. 

 

https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/164997/what-is-the-relationship-between-opengl-glx-dri-and-mesa3d

 

As I dug deeper, your linux base is similar to the one Mint uses. 

 

Here is an even better link. 

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=199531

Edited by Pastor Jonathan
Added a link
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just so you know, Accordance 10 works pretty much just fine for me with regular WINE, though I'm not a power user so can't confirm everything. Though there are some quirks with installing modules - where you have to refresh and install them again.

 

That sounds like a regression in WINE/Crossover as the last time I tried it I could get 11 and 12 to install and run but the user interface was unusable - the text refresh was doing something strange so the text wasn't showing most of the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my glxinfo output.

 

Once I flush my cache in 10 and get my hands on the older Timeline file, I should be set where I can "battle test" it. To my knowledge, it should run well.

 

Yeah, it's disappointing 11 or 12 won't rune on WINE/CrossOver. I'm trying to get 13 working with CrossOver 22 if possible. Would be great.

glxinfo.txt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to know about regular WINE. I went ahead and invested in CrossOver mainly for the extra support, the easier to install/manage apps using the GUI vs Terminal, plus it finally supports the WINE project. I still keep WINE 7 around for the other major Bible software app out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

I want Accordance to know that they should no longer include me in the list of Crossover supporters.

In the past I've advocated for a native Linux Accordance app, and in lieu of that a Crossover version. But I'm currently testing the trial version of Crossover for Mac for just two programs, BibleWorks and Classical Text Editor. While they both work there are still a few glitches, especially in the latter where biblical Hebrew doesn't always render correctly with copy and paste. So, I've come to the same conclusion as before, that it is just too frustrating to use Crossover; I would rather have native apps that work as they were intended. So, the year of Linux will only come for me if Accordance develops a native Linux app.

On a side note, I think Parallels works better than VMWare Fusion. But now the latter is free for personal use, so for only two programs I'm using Fusion. I'm also working with Nota Bene on two issues regarding their Mnemonic keyboard in their bundled Crossover version for Mac. If they can't resolve them, I'll be installing a third program in Fusion.

Regards,

 

Michel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're on the list of CrossOver supporters on the CodeWeavers website, you'll need to email CodeWeavers and have them remove you from the list. CodeWeavers, not Accordance, controls the list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...