Gk text is fat and dark

Kristin

Seemingly randomly, my Gk text got fatter and darker. It seemed to be connected to updating the OS on my Mac, but I don't know. My normal "find" color is orange (compared to the red default) which also changed. I did not have breaks between the vs, and it does now, but I am mainly concerned about the font change since it is hard to read.

I then accidentally opened the LXX in the NT and noticed that my Greek looks normal again, complete with my orange find font color, though both texts are supposedly the same.

Is there a way to get my normal NT Greek to look like the LXX how it did a few days ago?

Thanks,

Kristin

2119387477_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-17um12_26_28.thumb.png.e193023bcb9096644cd56e9745853899.png

If you select each Text pane and press Cmd-T to display the Text settings, are there any differences? 

Hi @Mark Allison,

Ya, they are totally different. If I open the HMT+GNT28 it is one way (close to a default setting), and if I open the HMT+LXX combo in the NT the Greek there is normal how my Greek had always been until a few days ago.

You should be able to open each Text individually, select Cmd-T and choose your favorite settings. Those settings should apply to the Text when views by itself, or when combined with another Text. 

Hi @Mark Allison,

Ok, I took a screenshot of the settings of the Gk LXX in the NT (which is the GNT28...) and then opened the other GNT28 and tried to make it the same. I got it close but the font is still darker and I can't set it since it says "custom" for both versions.

I am just confused. I thought the LXX + GNT28 combo was using the GNT28, but this seems to strongly suggest that I have two copies of it? Is it possible to just change the settings so it is using the text it had been using a few days ago?

Is the normal font color pure black? I don't remember changing the color before, but both copies say custom, but are not the same.

If you use the "Default" theme, the color of the contents isn't total black (see screenshot). You might want to use the Default theme for all of them. That would at least make all your Texts a standard color for contents and reference, and the Text wouldn't appear as bold. 

1470846559_ScreenShot2022-02-17at8_24_16PM.png.e044137ee1a067128c6f5bd34e7420e1.png

Hi @Mark Allison,

I set the that Greek to the default, and that is true it is not pure black, but it still looks darker than the LXX Geek (aka GNT28). I agree it is slight, but it is not the same. The LXX GNT28, how all my GNT28 was before, is in orange (what I had set it to a long time ago) and the GNT28 which is linked to the HMT is in red.

Does this mean I have two copies of GNT28?

If I understand correctly, the only thing I can do is just mess with it until I get it to match as much as I can, and there is not a way to link the orange text as the default? Or is it in fact the same text and just behaving differently? You know, I think I just answered my own question. It is the same text, since I highlighted a random word in the red text and it also highlighted in the orange copy.

Given that, I opened the GNT28 (from the LXX in Mark (so this is obviously not the LXX, and I clicked "use as default" since it is obviously the same text. I then re-opened the HMT+GNT and it is for sure not the same. I am attaching two screenshots. The fist is after set the red to "default" and it was, better, but still blacker, and the second is after I set the orange to "default" which for sure did not make the red the same.

(they flipped sides since I closed the GNT and then re-opened it after making the orange side default.

1009010099_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-17um18_29_00.png.7c48fce487932484a24ffa7335ce1358.png516605764_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-17um18_36_11.png.10bb72486a6585fb1ae9888488ea3dc0.png

1009010099_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-17um18_29_00.png.7c48fce487932484a24ffa7335ce1358.png

Are you clicking the "Use as Default" button when you make your changes, and not just clicking the "Okay" button?

Hi @Mark Allison,

Ya, I am. :( I even did it again just to make sure, but when I opened the "normal" Greek it for sure looks dark and strange with paragraph markers.

Maybe try starting Accordance in Safe Mode (hold down the option key while launching Accordance) and select "Clean up Installed Fonts"?

Hi @Mark Allison,

I am spooked to do that since I think this "red, dark" text with paragraphs is the "normal" font, and so it will then make my LXX GK NT look that way too. Right?

(Also, if I need to do this, will it eat my highlights?)

Doing this won't affect any of your settings. It just fixes any corrupt fonts you might have.

So, the settings can't be exactly the same, because the Text on the left is in verse mode, and the text on the right is in paragraph mode.

Hi @Mark Allison,

Right, I agree. The font is a different color, different size, different line spacing, book names are spelled out, line spacing is different, etc, etc. Yet it is the same text as the text on the right. So I don't understand why when I open the text on the right and click "save as default" that it is not fixing all those issues.

Should I try creating a new combo text of the HMT and GNT and see if that works? If so, how would I do this?

Hi @Mark Allison,

Just one thing I want to add really quick is that it seems to be affecting the entire HMT+GNT combo. If I move from Mk to Gen, the red highlight still is there, and the normal orange I had set in preference is there in the LXX.

I do keep my HMT larger than Greek, but I see this is even bigger. So I just made the text more normal, and I see that is in fact changing the Gk version.

So this really does not make sense how they are affecting each other, but making a change to the HMT changed the GNT, while leaving the GNT with the LXX alone.

It is slight, but if you compare specific letters, such as the του, it does look smaller.

Does this mean I need to change the paragraph markers, text color, etc, etc, for the HMT to change the GNT??

1603635200_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-17um19_40_36.thumb.png.6ae3d4aba7cdd01b64491c4961667694.png

So you're right. The settings for the Combined Texts are separate from the individual Texts. And you can't change the settings of the two Texts in the Combined Text separately. If you have a combined Text with Hebrew and Greek, you'll need to create a setting that gives you the best balance between font size for Hebrew and Greek.

Interesting. Was this a change that came with a recent update? Or is it connected to changing my OS on my computer? A few days ago the HMT settings and GNT settings were completely unrelated. The HMT was larger, and the LXX and GNT looked identical.

I'm not sure. I'll have to check the help documentation and talk to Tech Support. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Hi @Mark Allison,

OK, letting me know tomorrow is fine.

In the meantime I would like to mention I made the Hebrew smaller, and that did make the GNT smaller and more normal, but the book names also got smaller.

I made the highlight color pink to make it clear. The pink version (now with little book font sizes) is the HMT+GNT, and the orange is the LXX +GNT, and also the normal Greek how it had been up until a few days ago.

I am really unclear how to make the two look the same, and more specifically, like the orange version a few days ago. I think if I increase the HMT font the book name would be the same as the LXX, and how it had been, but then the GNT would get fat again, since the GNT and LXX in Mark match (apart from the book names being small in the HMT+GNT.)

I am thinking this must be a bug, since my Hebrew has always been much larger than the Greek and has never been an issue. I could set the HMT to 42pt if I wanted and the Greek would be normal in the NT.

Here is a screenshot, and have a good night.

Kristin

1183914531_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-17um19_54_51.png.464dee935654bb5641cab550ea072550.png