Bible Translation Info

Larry McNamee

In Accordance (Mac), is there a way to find publishers info for a Bible translation?   When selecting a text in the library, the info button reveals basic copyright dates.  Is there a way to find the publishers notes, ie. translation method, etc. for the translation?

Thanks

• Like 1

There might be some info in the Translator notes module for the version.

4 hours ago, Larry McNamee said:

In Accordance (Mac), is there a way to find publishers info for a Bible translation?   When selecting a text in the library, the info button reveals basic copyright dates.  Is there a way to find the publishers notes, ie. translation method, etc. for the translation?

Thanks

Unfortunately 1:  Not all has a Notes module.

Unfortunately 2: The Accordance shop lacks the Product Details on the Bible. 

Unfortunately 3: There is even no RIS on the Bibles in the Accordance library.

May you have to check the Read Mes files. See under Accordance, Help, Read Mes. Or on the Accordance Module info in the Library of the app.

As others have said, the translator notes are the first place to look as these usually include the introductory section of the printed bible and while many have been, such as esv, nrsv, niv, kjb;  unfortunately not all have been included such as the tev. 

I think its important to request them on this forum as you come across translations where they are missing.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I have noted before that Accordance can export bibliographic data for all its resources EXCEPT for the primary texts (Hebrew, Greek, English, etc.) It's a problem when trying to footnote the texts I'm using in publishable research.

For all the Tools, just right click on a folder or specific resource and select "Export selected data"

That basically creates a CSV file that can be opened in Excel or imported into Zotero.

Works fine, but for some reason it can't be done with anything under TEXTS.

• Like 1

It would be really helpful if they had a place, as the other program has, for getting this information. As mgvh has said, for footnoting it is important to be able to get the information and also be able to get it without having to go through several steps to get there.

I agree that Accordance ought to be able to export an RIS file from Texts in addition to Tools. I hope this will be implemented in a future release. I've requested it internally in the past.

For most modern Bible translations, there is probably a notes file with the information. I know there are one or two exceptions. One exception is the TEV. Some information can be attained, though, by clicking on the "i" (information) button to the right of the title when hovering the mouse over it in the Library. 

image.png

For older translations, such as the KJV, most style guides, such as the SBL Handbook have means of documenting for citing public domain sources. In the case of using citing the KJV as a source from Accordance, you would list Accordance Bible Software or Oaktree Software as the publisher. 

I would also note that many style guides, such as the SBL Handbook, do not require full bibliographic information for standard Bible translations anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1