Need Advice Cleaning Up Obsolete Files

Carol Kankelborg

I have been using Accordance since version 4 (I'm not addicted. I can stop any time. :~). I just moved over to a new Mac laptop and want to clear out the file cruft that has built up over the years. I have Sync turned on via DropBox. I have Accordance files in Dropbox/Apps/Accordance, ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance, and ~/Documents/Accordance Folder. I have several questions about files that appear to be obsolete and hopefully deletable. I am running Accordance 13.3.2 on MacOS 12.1.

1. Is it safe to delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Modules/Shared User Notes-User Tools-Highlights folders?
  2. What is the purpose of the ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Gloss folder? The files in it are dated from 2018 through Oct. 2021 but if I click on any of them I am told they are unsupported file types.
  3. Is it safe to delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Time data.adata file? It is dated Dec. 29, 2011. Clicking on it opens Accordance but doesn’t seem to do anything else.
  4. Similarly, is it safe to delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Atlas files/Map data.adata? (Nov. 6, 2011).
  5. Which of these preference files are still needed? (See attached screen shot)

Thanks in advance.

Carol

601020800_AccordancePreferences.png.7e44b0fc738fdfad8562ab84f7e3c655.png

Edited by Carol Kankelborg
Added Accordance & OS versions.

Before you delete anything, try launching Accordance in safe mode (hold down the option key when you start Accordance). Then select "Remove unused settings files" from the list.

I'd be interested in knowing which files are removed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. However, it doesn't appear any of the files or folders I asked about were removed. I first tried just removing unused settings files & cleaning up installed fonts. Then I tried it with all the options under "Clean Up." No visible effect either time.

For the sake of others for whom this might be useful:

I recommend making a back-up of your Accordance world (or your hard drive).

To open in safe mode, click on the Accordance app while holding down the Option Key.

I did a clean install of Accordance in a new user account on my laptop. After a bit of trial and error, this is my assessment.

1. The Shared folders are empty, but present in a fresh install. From Accordance help, these folders "also contain the originals of any User Notes that were in Accordance when it was upgraded to version 7. As much as I would love to delete them, I will leave them.

2. The Gloss folder contents are needed.

3 & 4. The time & map/altitute data .adata files are needed. 

5. It seems that all the preference files are needed, even the one dated 2002. They are present in the fresh install.

I created a new folder "Timeline files" to parallel "Atlas files" and moved the Time Data.adata file into it. I then opened Accordance, clicked on Timeline, and told it where the file now lives. (This just keeps things more neat & tidy for me. I also moved all the Workspace files into their own folder a long time ago for that same reason.)

• Like 1

Been using quite a bit longer than you, Carol, and I have cruft, including full Accordance folders all over the place. I should clean up as well.

• Like 2