Synoptic WordMap

Clint Cozier

I'm wondering if anyone else who attended Tuesday's Targum WordMap webinar was struck at what a perfect tool a WordMap would be for the synoptic texts. I left thinking, "that's the tool I've always wanted for the synoptics." Anyone else?

• Like 2

That's the tool I've wanted for so many things. It would be so nice to have the MT-LXX database in a WordMap format.

Edited by Brian W. Davidson
  • Like 3

It could be done to some extent for double and triple traditions. The layout would be a very different animal. The same phrase in Mt/Mk/Lk have different verse references, of course, and even span a different number of verses at times. The "Synoptic Concordance" from DeGruter may be the tool "you've always wanted". One could only dream of it coming to Accordance, but that would never happen. I find a marked synopsis the best tool for such investigation. Alas, Accordance has yet to get an actual synopsis (with proper line breaks, etc.); the parallel tool is great for story by story comparison, but it won't be ultimately useful until we get a tool that displays as an actual synopsis.

• Like 2

It was that double and triple tradition material that I though would be very effectively presented in a WordMap. Right now, I take the texts into a graphic environment (Curio or Canvas in Logos), lay it out line by line in parallel columns then color code it which just about gets me to where I was thirty years ago with Aland's Synopticon and a series of highlighters.