User Bible - Accordance thinks it's Greek (it's not)

Sam Freney

I'm trying to import a Bible text as a User Bible, and I'm running into all sorts of problems. 

1. Standard import from a properly formatted UTF-8 encoded file: Accordance thinks my text is Greek, and displays it with Helena. Because Greek texts can't have their font changed, I can't change the font. (That's a feature request for another day.) This is not at all what I want - this particular Bible just uses standard Roman characters; others I would like to import use an extended Latin character set. But definitely not Greek letters!

2. If I change the text file encoding to MacRoman, then I run into a "too many paragraph markers" error. Sure, I can remove the paragraph markers, but then that reduces the readability. If I do that the text comes through as English so I can change the font, albeit with VERY long paragraphs. And other texts I'd like to import use more than the standard roman character set (e.g., ŋ, ḻ, ṟ, ä, and so on).

3. According to the built-in help you can import UTF-16 encoded files. I try that, I get an error telling me that no, in fact, you can't import UTF-16 encoded files.

What I'd really like is just option 1, but to tell Accordance that it's not actually a Greek User Bible. How can I do that?

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 1.18.32 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 1.10.49 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 1.10.28 pm.png

Hello

Which Accordance version do you use?

UTF-16 was only supported ONE version, then they deleted it. But it is still in the Help Files. I mentioned this 2 times, but ...... as you can see they gave no attention to my posts.

My you consider to use in the line before the paragraph a double <br><br> instead of the ¶. 

Matt 1:1 bla bla

Matt 1:2 bla bla

to 

Matt 1:1 bla bla<br><br>

Matt 1:2 bla bla

Fabian

You can leave the ¶ marker. Just simply delete it on the fist verse. It wouldn't then recognize it for the whole Bible.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem but on Windows. Here is a sample of my import file:

Gen. 1:1 ¶ A kipatcil in Pasian in vantung le leitung a piangsak hi.
Gen. 1:2 Leitung in lim le mel nei loin a awngthawlpi ahi hi. Tuithukpi tung tengah khuamialpi om a, tua tui tungah Pasian Kha a kin kawikawi hi.

After Accordance is done importing it, it looks like this:

Gen. 1:1 ¶ Α κιπατχιλ ιν Πασιαν ιν ῀αντυνγ λε λειτυνγ α πιανγσακ ηι.
Gen. 1:2 Λειτυνγ ιν λιμ λε μελ νει λοιν α αωνγτηαωλπι αηι ηι. Τυιτηυκπι τυνγ τενγαη κηυαμιαλπι ομ α, τυα τυι τυνγαη Πασιαν Κηα α κιν καωικαωι ηι.

This is badly wrong. Any other suggestions as to what I can do? I have tried the above file encoded as UTF-8, and as UTF-8 BOM, no difference. I removed the first two paragraph marks (as a test) and used <br><br> instead, but Accordance still transformed to Greek letters, and puts a large blank between verses due to the <br> markers.

Edited by postiffm

Have you tried MacOS Roman encoding?

Have you tried to import only a part of text? I guess there is a character which Accordance leads to Greek. May you find it by import some portions.

Edited by Fabian

I am on Windows...MacRoman is not easily available for me.

I am going to run a script that will produce an inventory to see if I can find any suspicious characters!

I can say I had no problem on Mac with MacOS Roman.

Yes I saw you have a Windows machine. Note++ don't support macOS Roman. I have no clue which one does.

Edited by Fabian

May check also the non visible characters like {\230} or so. They are often after the verse references.

@postiffm a hint from my side. If you once get a Greek output. Don't import the Bible over the old. It will become Greek again. Delete it from the Library and import it new.

Thanks for that pointer, @Fabian. I have made it my practice to delete the previous Bible entirely, so I think I'm OK on this. But thanks for the tip!

25 minutes ago, Fabian said:

Mmh. With utf-8 I get Greek too.

@Silas Marrs This seems to be a bug.

Yep. It is definitely seems to be a bug.

• Thanks 1