What is really wrong now with Accordance? I could not install Accordance 8 either

Enoch

Since I have had much trouble since I "upgraded to 13," I thought I would try installing Accordance 7 or 8 in a 2015 MacBook Pro, Mojave OS refurb, supposedly like new, working from CDs instead of from internet.  (I dislike being tethered to internet).  Immediately 7 gave an error message, indicating that it could not install on my machine.  Then I tried 8, which went through the install process, but finally would not work, possibly because it could not access some required file.  I have been trying to continue using Yosemite machines because of the great MS 4000 keyboards that work with it having special features.  But the refurb had Mojave in it.  So the hypothesis occurs to me that some of my trouble could be caused by using Yosemite on the one hand, but on the other hand Accordance 7 & 8 would not work with Mojave because of Mac's change in hard-drive/SSD format.  It seems that Apple when introducing Mojave, stopped (at least normally) using the old standard format Extended (Journaled).   I found that my refurb Mojave Macbook is not using Extended (Journaled), but APFS.  It may be possible with this machine & Mojave to use Extended (Journaled), but that may require erasing the drive & installing OS from scratch, which might mean I have to have Mojave on a thumbdrive & re-install it some way with Extended (Journaled).  Then perhaps the new format prevents Accordance 7 & 8 from working.  I am using 2015 Macbooks.   Will the new format system block older versions of Accordance from working?  Is Yosemite a problem for Accordance 13?

I realize that I might have to spend the greater part of a business day on the phone with tech support; so I guess I have to find a day to kill & do it. 

But IMHO, Accordance should inform us if Yosemite is a problem for 13, so we can just "upgrade" the OS for 13.  And if older versions require Extended (Journaled) format, tell us that also.  And why can't Accordance just fix their installation program so we don't have to have a long tech support phone call?

BTW, I like the idea of having one computer which is never put on the internet, so it avoids malware & computer viruses.  Such a computer can be used for word-processing, and if one is writing on a Bible-topic, it is nice if that computer also has Accordance in it, even an older version of Accordance. 

I've worked in software all my life (including consumer software).  I believe your expectations may be beyond any commercial software that I've ever worked on or purchased.  Microsoft and Apple, with significant resources, discontinue all support for software (and hardware) over a certain age far beyond what you're asking from a small, low-margin company to offer.  Yosemite was end-of-life'd by Apple in 2017 — Mojave was even end-of-life'd by Apple in November of this year.  I've run into a bug here and there over the years with Accordance (I've owned for almost 20 years) including in the package installation/verification module you mention (which I do hope becomes more robust), but I've generally had a positive experience when using hardware and operating systems that have not been EOL'ed.    

I certainly can understand the desire to run without internet connection or maintain old hardware if you can, but as a customer who has spent a lot of money with Accordance and who also has an equal right to have expectations and desires for the limited resources of the company, I would fully understand if the answer was — we can't support Accordance on EOL'ed hardware and OS's.   To be clear — I'm not an employee or associated with Accordance at all — just a long-standing customer.  They also may believe there is enough demand for this request to make it a priority, and that's certainly their prerogative. 🙂

• Like 3

I think it is important, the issues Enoch has get addressed. As well as the issues with the unlocking code which recently are popping up. Also other bugs which hinders to have fun with Accordance. Often are multiple small little things that kills the joy of having a software.

11 hours ago, Enoch said:

BTW, I like the idea of having one computer which is never put on the internet, so it avoids malware & computer viruses.  Such a computer can be used for word-processing, and if one is writing on a Bible-topic, it is nice if that computer also has Accordance in it, even an older version of Accordance. 

I like that idea as well. You pretty much have to dedicate a computer for this purpose, make sure everything works and decide when you want to take it off-line and not allow it to see the internet again so that nothing updates any more and messes something up.

Enoch, v. 7 did not work because it was made for PowerPC Macs. Version 8 had a universal binary (PowerPC + Intel), but it came out 14 years ago, and I'm not surprised it would not install. I apologize for the issues you're having with v. 13, but these are not "common" issues. Forum posts are not going to help you get to the bottom of it, I'm afraid. I strongly encourage you to call in to Tech Support, which I've suggested before.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The last known Mac OS that would run Accordance 8 in our office was (coincidentally) Yosemite. However, Yosemite and El Capitan have an issue with reading our current DNS certificate. Consequently, Easy Install will not connect to our servers in these two operating systems until you 'tweak' the certificate settings and make a couple of adjustments. Then it works normally. We have done this successfully on every Mac running these operating systems (which have been many) with the exception of one. That one possibly could have had a secondary issue with a 'SOCKS' proxy which we have encountered since then. This means that both issues were on a Mac at the same time and both had to be corrected in order to restore proper functioning.

Everyone is welcome to contact us directly at techsupport@accordancebible.com for assistance.

We are licensed to use Splashtop for screen sharing which is the fastest way to address an issue.

Thanks