Appearance (dark mode) UI problem

Guntis

Hi,

When Accordance is open and system changes system-wide appearance to the Dark mode, some intereface element backgrounds don't change. For example, User notes editing window's top bar turns dark, but the bottom bar does not (but "Note" and "Add" text turns white), in User notes editing window press Cmd+L to enter link. Letters are white, but background has not changed to dark grey, hardly can see anything. The same about Sync to Dropbox window.

Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 22.06.45.png

Edited by Guntis

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the app update! Version 13.3.2. fixed aforementioned problem.

Now I have a new problem — WILLMINGTON’S OUTLINE BIBLE (v.1.2) now has too dark segments where it's really hard to discern text. Before app update it looked OK. This module also needs some fix or update.

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 22.41.01.png

Actually it seems that user highlight colors are also slightly altered in the Dark mode. About 20% less saturated than in Light mode. (Compare the same user highlight color in the last two screenshots! — word "majesty", for example.) What surprises me the most is that in the Dark mode Accordance shows text selection area regardless of user highlights. In the Light mode I can see selection only outside of user highlights. Could you work it out and make it available also in the Light mode? That would be really useful improvement.

Here I attach three screenshots:

1) I open Accordance while in the Dark mode. Even over the user highlight I can see where the text selection starts and ends.

2) The same Accordance session, just turned on Light mode. Still I can see where selection starts and where it ends.

3) Accordance opened in Light mode. Text selection visible only outside of the user highlights.

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 22.59.04.png

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 22.59.24.png

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.00.37.png

Edited by Guntis
Added info about highlight comparison.

• 1 month later...

When the Dark mode turns on automatically while Accordance is open, Dropbox sync menu background remains light grey. 

Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 22.31.13.png

System changed Light theme to Dark theme just a moment ago while Accordance was open. Toolbar changed color, tabs didn't, and Instant Details palette became detached from the main window!

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 22.00.45.png

• 2 months later...

I also have similar issues with the dark mode auto switching and not fully adjusting all elements.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, cschfr21 said:

I also have similar issues with the dark mode auto switching and not fully adjusting all elements.

I'm still experiencing this. Looking over the thread, I don't see any replies or other acknowledgment of the issue. Is there somewhere else this has been addressed/discussed? Can someone confirm whether this issue is being looked into? Seems a pretty significant glitch, particularly for anyone using the program near dusk or early morning as it has to be quit in the dropdown menu and restarted to clear out the mismatched elements.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up. I've been complaining about this issue for years. Accordance is the only app I use that cannot handle the system switching from dark to light mode. I use a fair variety of big and small apps (commercial and open source ones, too) and every single other one either can intelligently keep itself in dark mode (if it is a "media" app that is always in dark mode) or switch between the two; Accordance is the only one that gets weird on the switch. It's incredibly frustrating years after Dark Mode (and automatic switching of Dark/Light mode) became a part of macOS.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if my input added again after a few months is wanted, but I'm also still having this issue. Can someone from "corporate" speak to whether this is going to be addressed or if I can look forward to a resolution in v14?

I quit using dark mode in accordance. Aside from little bugs like you've described, it's just TOO dark. It's difficult to discern tabs, etc. The dark gray of the iOS version is fantastic. But the Mac version is just too much. I'm not sure this is an accordance problem as much as Apple's guidance on the appearance. Accordance really isn't any darker than anything else native to macOS in dark mode. If you use separate tabs in Safari they are easier to see because they are a part of the main window frame (idk the official ui terminology). Accordance tabs in a text window (ie, not workspace tabs) are a part of the darker scheme that everything else in macOS uses. Unfortunately, its a dark color that makes somethings a bit difficult. Again, though, I don't think that's an accordance thing; it's a macOS thing it seems. 

The other major problem with dark mode--and another reason why I quit using it--is that it requires a restart to take full effect. Idk the reasons for this. But I do know it's enough that I simply won't be bothered with it. At the same time, it's quite annoying to have part of the app dark and the majority inconsistently light and dark. So, again, I just don't use it. Maybe this can be better in 14. Maybe not. It's not really an issue for me. FWIW, I don't use dark mode in logos either, for the same reasons. 

@A. Smith I think your insight actually proves the reason they should be working on a fix. This thread was rightly posted in the Bug Swatters forum because dark mode is an intentional feature of the software. So the fact that you don't use the feature because it doesn't work correctly (at least in part) ought to be a motivation for someone to fix the bug and make the feature work correctly. The same is true of the people who have been faithful Accordance users for years (this specific thread is nearly a year old now) who have experienced bugs but continue to persevere because they want to see, use, and enjoy a great product. I want to motivate and participate in continual excellence; I don't want to take the approach of "it doesn't work so I'll just quit using it." I want the feature to be implemented correctly and completely. And I hope we can get some traction and feedback in this thread from someone who knows something or can provide some assistance in the matter since it's been almost a year with no such input.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, cschfr21 said:

Can you be more specific? Could you provide some screenshots of what you mean? 

12 hours ago, cschfr21 said:

whether this is going to be addressed

It is an active conversation.

7 minutes ago, David Garrison said:

Ditto @cschfr21 and @A. Smith.

I really want to use this feature, but not if I have to restart the app every time.

We were actually talking about this yesterday before this thread was revived. Hopefully a solution can be worked out. 

@Jordan SThank you for confirming it's on the discussion table! Really hoping to see a fix soon!

I've added photos. It looks like window frames, menus, and pop-ups are not adjusting while the main tool windows are changing. For instance, the preferences module, menu bar, scrollbars, and dropbox pop-up all remain in the previous state after a forced or automatic change. I will note, there is a pop-up during an automatic change that instructs the user to restart Accordance. That's fine, I suppose, but it's certainly annoying, especially as I've never come across another program requiring a restart for the UI change.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.46.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.47.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.47.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.47.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.47.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.47.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.48.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.48.11 PM.png

21 hours ago, cschfr21 said:

@A. Smith I think your insight actually proves the reason they should be working on a fix. This thread was rightly posted in the Bug Swatters forum because dark mode is an intentional feature of the software. So the fact that you don't use the feature because it doesn't work correctly (at least in part) ought to be a motivation for someone to fix the bug and make the feature work correctly. The same is true of the people who have been faithful Accordance users for years (this specific thread is nearly a year old now) who have experienced bugs but continue to persevere because they want to see, use, and enjoy a great product. I want to motivate and participate in continual excellence; I don't want to take the approach of "it doesn't work so I'll just quit using it." I want the feature to be implemented correctly and completely. And I hope we can get some traction and feedback in this thread from someone who knows something or can provide some assistance in the matter since it's been almost a year with no such input.

I don't disagree at all! I've also noticed that Logos requires a restart for the theme to switch as well. I don't know what's involved in the app that causes this to be a problem for bible software but these are literally the only two apps I use which require a restart to change themes. It's annoying and I would be glad if it were resolved!

@cschfr21 I haven't used dark mode in so long I didn't know of any changes. However, I've just tried it and found that, after a restart (which I do think is a problem) everything is as it should be, including the sync and preferences dialogue. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 11.36.52.png

@A. SmithYes, mine works fine after the restart. And maybe that's just how it has to be. If so, I just need someone to confirm that for me (and preferably explain why).

4 minutes ago, cschfr21 said:

@A. SmithYes, mine works fine after the restart. And maybe that's just how it has to be. If so, I just need someone to confirm that for me (and preferably explain why).

It shouldn’t be that way. All Apple apps turn dark without any bits remaining light. There are some bugs which prevent all elements dynamically change theme. 

It'd sure be great if there could be some assurance this is going to be fixed, even in a point release of 14. I'm debating on whether to pull the trigger on upgrading to Accordance 14, but that this bug persists four years after Apple added automatic dark mode is nearly enough to keep me from buying it. I'd hoped it'd be fixed when I bought Accordance 13, after all, since it is an expected part of a modern, native MacOS application and I hate to think I have to pay for _two_ upgrades just to get a basic bug fixed (or maybe not even fixed). It almost feels like Accordance's developers are using current versions of MacOS, because I'd think it would drive them crazy if they did...

I keep mine set in Light Mode at the moment. Had it in Dark Mode, but Light Mode seems to still be easier to read. I do have macOS set to go to Dark Mode at night for most apps, except Logos and Accordance. I’ll see if anything changes in Accordance 14 to want me to try Dark Mode again. Both Logos and Accordance just don’t seem to be quite there for Dark Mode yet.

• Like 1