User content and syncing woes. Again. Still.

A. Smith

I am having an ongoing series of problems syncing between mobile and desktop. These problems have been ongoing for YEARS but are now reaching the point where the mobile platform is nearly useless to me. 

First, let me preface by saying that I have recently moved to Uganda and my internet access is not great. I will list the problems in the order I think of them and will be glad to expand on them as requested. To be honest, I'm growing quite impatient with this. I don't understand why I keep running into the same problems. I have never run into these problems as constantly as I have with accordance.

1) Corrupt notes file. I've been told my notes file is too big. How do I know when it's too big? There is nothing in the documentation that says to limit the size. And if the program cannot handle a large file, why am I responsible for managing that? Why can't the app limit that?

2) Corrupt highlights file. Same as above. 

3) Neither notes nor highlights syncing correctly or consistently. At this point, I cannot even use notes on my iPad. The notes simply will not sync. At all. The sync just hangs indefinitely. 

4) LXXS-T doesn't sync. It doesn't even show up in the sync dialogue box. I can download it from easy install on iOS/iPadOS. But this requires using data I don't really have. 

5) Syncing modules hangs. Every. Single. Time. It always hangs on a different module. There is no consistency. It's to the point that the only way I can transfer modules from desktop to iPadOS is by syncing 5-7 at a time. And I have a huge library so this is literally an all day exercise. 

6) even after painstaking syncing like this, not all the modules are installed as expected. And they are not where they should be in the folders as in the desktop. They've been randomly rearranged. 

7) drop box syncing is not an option. On the one hand, I think that is perhaps what caused some of my file corruption early on, years ago. Also, I simply don't have the data to do it reliably. WIFI syncing is unreliable for reasons I can't explain. Sometimes the devises don't see one another. Even on an adhoc network. But then, when they do, I have to start syncing from scratch, not simply sync what is new or changed because, for some reason, that's how the feature is designed. This means I get to go through all of this nonsense every single time I try to add a module or anything else.

After going around and around and around, I have now entirely deleted accordance from my iPad and reinstalled it. I spent all day yesterday slowing syncing and monitoring the process. This morning, as I went to do my daily reading, I fired up accordance on iPadOS and was greeted with a series of warnings about who a few amynotes files were missing. The dialogue was gone before I could even see what it was. Accordance would not open beyond that. So, I had to reset user content. Again. For the thousandth time. So, I now have no highlights or notes on my iPad. Despite having spent nearly a decade carefully taking notes and making highlights in accordance to guide my study.  

I don't know what to do. This seems ridiculous to me. 

Also, the problem is ONLY with accordance. No other iPadOS app gives me trouble. 

Oh. And add to this that easy install is also messed up and shows me all the things I've already installed as well as new modules. So this only adds to the confusion in the midst of all of this. 

@A. Smith, sincerely sorry to hear of your syncing difficulties. Your being in Uganda may prevent you from calling the support team in our offices, but if you don't mind a back and forth on emails, I would recommend sending a message to techsupport@accordancebible.com.

I'm also tagging @Tech Support here so they will see this.

I know it doesn't help you right now, but as mentioned elsewhere, we're looking at a completely different and in-house syncing technology for Accordance 14. I don't have any details or a timetable, but I'm hopeful that a lot of current frustrations will be solved when this version is released.

• Like 3

Here is an example of what I’m talking about. I noticed this morning that not only is LXXS-T not synced, I couldn’t find BHS, either. So, I tried syncing, It doesn’t even show up in the sync dialogue for me to sync it (along with other random modules, which have been synced in the past but now won’t). See the attached pictures:

Library 1.png

Library 2.png

sync dialogue 1.png

sync dialogue 2.png

Of course, I could download them with easy install, but that would use data I don't readily have and take forever. And I'd have to manually arrange them when they are supposed to be arranged via syncing from the desktop. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/29/2021 at 10:55 PM, A. Smith said:

Of course, I could download them with easy install, but that would use data I don't readily have and take forever. And I'd have to manually arrange them when they are supposed to be arranged via syncing from the desktop. 

I'm considering trying to use an app like Waltr or AnyTrans for iOS to sync Accordance files.  Have you tried this already?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 12:26 AM, brazyl said:

I'm considering trying to use an app like Waltr or AnyTrans for iOS to sync Accordance files.  Have you tried this already?

No. I'm not aware of those. 

• 2 months later...

I live in the US and have great internet service, but this syncing problem is real. I can use Easy Install, but I cannot do that for my User Bibles. I have had to delete the app and start over MULTIPLE times on my iPad, and the iPhone is only slight ahead of that. There MUST be a better way.