i want to find all the periphrastic clauses in the GNT

Jonna

Greetings

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I absolutely do NOT expect any sort of response for at least a few days!!!  I am studying 2nd semester Basic of Biblical Greek, and we are using Dr. Mounce's 4th edition. We are delving into periphrastic phrases. So: i wanted to put my Accordance modules -- and my very beginning Greek -- to good use!  SO: I did a construct search

NOTE: my professor uses Accordance, and I have emailed him for help. BUT THAT said: I wanted to point out that: there are some forum comments from about 8 or 9 years ago in which they do NOT use a construct search. The reasoning is that: this is not needed because the Greek form EIMI and the related verb need to be IMMEDIATELY together. My Greek prof tells me: that is NOT correct, and that is why I went to a construct search. As I wrote to my professor: 

SO: thanks to you: I knew: I needed to take another ‘approach’. SO: I did my best to “brush up” on construction searches; and my sample is listed below. HOWEVER: I know that something is WRONG!!! I am only getting #26 hits — and from what you said: there ought to be more!!! My reasoning: if there were barely 25 periphrastic clauses in the GNT: I know that you would NOT have spent most of our lecture on this issue. 

SO: clearly: I am doing something wrong!!! BUT: you mentioned that you use Accordance, so I hope that you might be able to help me refine my search so that: I can find ALL the periphrastic participles in the GNT. NOTE: my search criteria must be wrong because it does even include John 1:9!!!

Have a blessed thanksgiving!!!

SO: any suggestions so that I can resolve this issue. THANK YOU and have a blessed THANKSGIVING!!

greek grammar periphrastic.accord

ειμι <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> [VERB participle] scope=verse - finds 264 instances, but I could not duplicate with construct

Hi Jonna,

Add a WITHIN 1 between your two elements within the CLAUSE. Increase the depth to infinity on both. You'll get almost exactly what is in the search box query. There will be four hits missing, all false positives I believe just looking at them quickly. That won't mean your construct does not still return FPs - it does. That said overall even that number seems low but I'm not sure. Of course periphrastics are not limited to ειμι.

Thx

D

The attached construct file should get most of the periphrastic participles (I think).Periphrastic Participles.accord

Do note that for this search, I define that the verb must be ειμι, but it can be any tense.

You might get a few more true hits if you add γινομαι as the predicate verb.

Thank you so much -- I think that your construct worked. THANKS

• Like 1