Please Add German "Einheitsübersetzung 2016" – Standard Catholic German Translation

Markus Wittal

Hello,

since years I am enthusiastic user of accordance, I think it might be the best bible software. 

I bought some years ago the German Modul with the first "Einheitsübersetzung", which was I ecumenical translation. 

This translation got a beautiful and important update, it is now much closer to the original words of the bibel and it got rid of some unnecessary mistakes,

it is called the "Einheitsübersetzung 2016"  

The only disadvantage is, that it no more an ecumenical project but only catholic. This is understandable as the Protestants love the Luther Translation. 

But for us catholics it is our official translation, all the liturgical books are going to b renewed with this translation, it is a project pf several years,

done by the "Katholische Bibelwerk".

There is no really good catholic bible software, which offers the text, neither on MacOS nor on IOS. If you want to copy a text, it is a difficult procedure...

Therefore my request:

Could you add translation of "Einheitsübersetzung 2016"?

Sincerly

Markus Wittal

Pfarrer/ Pastor in Nürnberg  

• Like 2

Hi @Markus Wittal,

You mentioned that the Einheitsübersetzung 2016 is closer to the original text, which sounds good. But you also compared it against the Luther Bibel. Would this mean that you feel that the translation is accurate, but archaic sounding?

I had heard that Schlachter 2000 is the best option for accuracy and readability, but some of my students who are native speakers in German found the language too archaic to be understandable, forcing us to move to the Gute Nachricht Bibel, which is certainly a paraphrase.

So I am just curious if you happen to know if it is more or less archaic than Schlachter 2000.

13 hours ago, Kristin said:

You mentioned that the Einheitsübersetzung 2016 is closer to the original text, which sounds good. But you also compared it against the Luther Bibel. Would this mean that you feel that the translation is accurate, but archaic sounding?

I had heard that Schlachter 2000 is the best option for accuracy and readability, but some of my students who are native speakers in German found the language too archaic to be understandable, forcing us to move to the Gute Nachricht Bibel, which is certainly a paraphrase.

So I am just curious if you happen to know if it is more or less archaic than Schlachter 2000.

Hi Kristin

the Luther translation is definitely a more archaic, he had a real powerful language at his time. Therefore the Protestants made several revisions to adapt to our time. I referred to this translation as it is a part of the protestant identity and liturgical life. 
every translation is a compromise between literal meaning of the words in the original  and the language in which is translated. 
The good news Bible is definitely more a paraphrase, which makes it easy to read and understandable for those who don’t know so much about the Bible. 
but if you want to go deeper you need more literal sense, but still readable - the Elberfelder translation is quite well known for that. 
the Einheitsübersetzung is a good compromise to both intentions: The current spoken German and close to the original words. 

Hi @Markus Wittal,

Ok, thank you for the clarification and suggestions. The way you describe the Einheitsübersetzung sounds good. On a side note, I agree completely with your statement that every translation is a compromise. I can see the value in fairly literal translations focusing on accuracy, as well as the time and place for paraphrases (within reason...). Really the only thing I don't have much tolerance for is when a Bible translation committee states that they are committed to accuracy, but then when you actually compare their version with the Hebrew and Greek text, you wonder if they actually used it in translation. But that is a rabbit trail. :)

• Like 1

for what its worth: for those who read German: If I compare my Hebrew Tanach with the Zürcher translation, I prefer the Zürcher to the Schlachter 2000

• Like 2

Back to topic: 

We need this Bible as it is the autoritative text for the German catholic church. 

• Like 1

Hi @markusvonkaenel,

Thanks for mentioning that. I like the Zürcher too, but had always been told the Schlachter 2000 is more accurate. Given what you wrote, I will take another look at it. :)

@Fabian, that would certainly make sense, so it makes me think there are probably licensing issues going on. I of course don't know much about the process, but I know just because Accordance wants something does not technically mean they have access to it.

@Kristin

I would not confirm that.  The Zürcher is checked (as far as I now) with the Lehrhaus (Jewish organization) in Zürich. You can check at the homepage of the Zürcher Bible.

But be aware, my statement's are only concerning the Tanach. 

Now we should go back to the topic, otherwise @Fabian will not be happy with us. 🙂 

Edited by markusvonkaenel
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
During my Greek lessons at Berne university in Switzerland I encourage my students to buy (an affordable…) Accordance licence. One of the methods Accordance allows me is a heuristic approach when dealing with textual problems: Opening a workspace with as many german translations as possible is a wonderful way to see where the problems in translations hide. 

Especially when dealing with apocryphal texts, but also during „normal“ work I miss the german Einheitsübersetzung very much. I remember vaguely that is was once available. 

For our (protestant) faculty in Berne but in a wider sense also for our catholic friends in Fribourg it would be enormously useful to have the Einheitsübersetzung back. I strongly recommend it.

• Like 1

I was in contact with Wilfried Kuhn from the publisher and I wished the Lectionary too. Unfortunately it seems he has left the Bibelwerk.

Anyway. Is this Bible in production? Or do I have to contact the publisher again?

• 6 months later...

+1