How to use Accordance while Teaching in an efficient way?

Japhin

Say, I have a list of verses that I want to open in accordance for the whole class to see. 
Do I have to type them all down one by one, or is there a better way to do it?

Say I have all the Bible verses written down on a word document with accordance link (it would look something like this.... accord://read/ESVS#1Cor._5:6) 

Is there a way that when I press this link, it will automatically open this verse in a preset workspace (I would like the verses to open in both English and German) ESV + Luther 2017.

Also, can you point me towards a good video or blog showing the best way to use accordance while teaching?

• 2 weeks later...

Japhin, I can't get your link to work, but I can tell you that if you. put the list of verses you copied from word into the command bar and hit ENTER, the verses will show up.  Then you can add parallel for the German text and there it will be.

I like your idea of the preset workspace. I'll try that out and see what I can make happen. 

In addition, if your students have accordance you could create the workspace then email it to them and they could have it in their accordance. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 3:00 PM, Japhin said:

Also, can you point me towards a good video or blog showing the best way to use accordance while teaching?

Depends on your teaching style but have you watched the webinars or videos under support? They might give you ideas from how accordance presenters use it for 'teaching'.

https://accordancebible.com/webinars/

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 2:43 PM, Dan Langston said:

Japhin, I can't get your link to work, but I can tell you that if you. put the list of verses you copied from word into the command bar and hit ENTER, the verses will show up.  Then you can add parallel for the German text and there it will be.

I like your idea of the preset workspace. I'll try that out and see what I can make happen. 

In addition, if your students have accordance you could create the workspace then email it to them and they could have it in their accordance. 

Thank you.  If you get the preset workspace running; please let me know. 

On 11/24/2021 at 2:51 PM, ukfraser said:

Depends on your teaching style but have you watched the webinars or videos under support? They might give you ideas from how accordance presenters use it for 'teaching'.

https://accordancebible.com/webinars/

Yes, I did but it was not really helpful. 

• 1 month later...

Japhin, I wonder if you could create a link that runs a script to open a specified workspace. @Joe Weaks is our resident automation expert. He may have an idea. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 10:00 AM, Japhin said:

@Japhin, what course(s) are you teaching? What format are you teaching in now, and what tech setup do you already have? I can try to point you in a good direction if you can share more info about what you're doing and what you're looking for.

• Like 1

Say, I have a list of verses that I want to open in accordance for the whole class to see. 
Do I have to type them all down one by one, or is there a better way to do it?

Say I have all the Bible verses written down on a word document with accordance link (it would look something like this.... accord://read/ESVS#1Cor._5:6) 

Is there a way that when I press this link, it will automatically open this verse in a preset workspace (I would like the verses to open in both English and German) ESV + Luther 2017.

One option is to create a "Paper" in Accordance. Personally, I create all my references in a Word doc, than copy/paste them into the Acc Paper. (To create a new Paper, from menu: File > User Files > New Paper.) Once in the Paper, they are reference links

I've attached an example of one I created of the Parables of Jesus.

Parables and Similes of Jesus.apaper

Accordance has not put up the link yet, but on Thursday, January 6 at 1pm ET I am leading a webinar on "Translation and Exegesis of Luke 3.15-22." It's the kind of thing that I do in my classes. If you can't make the webinar, it should be recorded and available later.

• Like 1

@Japhin , yes, this is the kind of workflow that accord:// links are made for.

Alas, don't forget that the 'open' action allows you to open a saved Workspace and then search it. Your syntax would be something like:

accord://open/Bible_Study?Gen 1.1

So, your links can open in the Workspace you've set up. I do experience these links as quirky though, for instance, sometimes bringing up the designated workspace and putting the search in the search box, but not executing the search, so you still have to press return.

You could, of course, have a fancy automation solution to open a specific workspace and search it, but it'd be difficult to maintain if you didn't know what you were doing.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 4:22 AM, Abram K-J said:

@Japhin, what course(s) are you teaching? What format are you teaching in now, and what tech setup do you already have? I can try to point you in a good direction if you can share more info about what you're doing and what you're looking for.

@Abram K-J I usually teach OT in a bilingual Bible School. I usually have 2 Bibles open. ESV and Russian Bible. On a different desktop (not screen) I also use powerpoint to run my slides. I use accordance for the text, maps, timeline, language. 

Say, I want to open Luke 12:2, Mark 2:5 and Mt 2:3 Even if I have the link ready, it would only open with Esv and not with my second language bible. I was wondering if there is a way when I click on a pre-saved link and it will directly open both these bIbles at the same time.

Also for some reason I feel like Accordance could be used for teaching in a better way. If you can point me to a video or resource explaining how better to use accordance while teaching that would be great. 

Hope I am clear. Thanks for the help.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:41 AM, mgvh said:

One option is to create a "Paper" in Accordance. Personally, I create all my references in a Word doc, than copy/paste them into the Acc Paper. (To create a new Paper, from menu: File > User Files > New Paper.) Once in the Paper, they are reference links

I've attached an example of one I created of the Parables of Jesus.

Parables and Similes of Jesus.apaper 7.96 kB · 1 download

@mgvh Thank you. But I am looking into a way where I can open the same reference in 2 bibles. Do you know if that is possible?

I will be there for the webinar.

Edited by Japhin

On 12/29/2021 at 7:21 AM, Joe Weaks said:

@Japhin , yes, this is the kind of workflow that accord:// links are made for.

Alas, don't forget that the 'open' action allows you to open a saved Workspace and then search it. Your syntax would be something like:

accord://open/Bible_Study?Gen 1.1

So, your links can open in the Workspace you've set up. I do experience these links as quirky though, for instance, sometimes bringing up the designated workspace and putting the search in the search box, but not executing the search, so you still have to press return.

You could, of course, have a fancy automation solution to open a specific workspace and search it, but it'd be difficult to maintain if you didn't know what you were doing.

@Joe Weaks Thank you. That was helpful. Now I am able to open it in a workspace but still there are couple issues. 

My link was  accord://open/NRT?Gen 12.1   But there is a space between Gen and 12, which means that can not be a link. But when I put an underscore then an empty page shows up in the workspace because it has no idea what is Gen_12.1 is. 

I think you can help. :) Please help a brother out.

In case you didn't know... the way to generate links from Accordance that you can use in a Word doc or elsewhere...

1. Edit > Preferences > Export
  2. At the bottom under "Other," choose External URL Style to:  accord://
  3. With a text open and the mouse clicked in the verse you want:
    1. Right click > Copy As > Location URL
  4. Now you can paste that as hyperlink in a Word Doc so that clicking on it will open it up in Accordance

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Japhin said:

@mgvh Thank you. But I am looking into a way where I can open the same reference in 2 bibles. Do you know if that is possible?

Hmm... The only way I can think of is to create a dedicated workspace.

1. File > New Workspace
  2. Open up the versions you want.
  3. In the command line, enter in all the verses you want. (Your example: Luke 12:2, Mark 2:5, Mt 2:3 )
  4. Save the Workspace (File > Save As; I'll use MyWorkspace as an example)
  5. Now you can simply open the workspace any time
    If you want to create a hyperlink to it:
  6. Find the workspace file you just saved: MyWorkspace.accord
  7. Now you can copy the location of that file and paste it as a hyperlink.
    1.  ... Accordance\Accordance Files\MyWorkspace.accord

Not exactly what you wanted, but another way around things.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 3:41 PM, ScottDF said:

Instead of <Space> try %20, accord://open/NRT?Gen%2012.1

@ScottDFThis is awesome. Thank you.