Is there a way to count the clauses in NA28

cralford

Is there a way to run a search that returns how many clauses, sentences, etc. have been encoded in the NA28 file? 

Might a search of the Syntax module be able to produce this? I don't know, just a suggestion.

A simple construct using just the Clause element of the Greek syntax says there are 35036 clauses. This includes nested clauses as well. I don't know if that is exactly what you want or not. And of course this is with Clauses as defined by this particular syntax model and tagging.

Sentences can be found by looking for periods. Again a construct, this time looking for CHAR . that gives you 5799 sentences.

There are 7968 verses.

I don't know exactly what etc. means here. If you also want books and chapters you can get those from the a Table analysis after doing a Word search for *. That can show you per chapter stats which will show you the chapters per book.

Thx

D

Edited by Λύχνις Δαν

Thank you both for your reply. I am interested in finding clauses or sentence numbers to compare against word usage for a particular book. Simply stating δε is used x amount of times in one book vs. another seems like it could be improved upon. Δε or και could be favored by an author more or the author could simply use more sentences which would require more conjunctions. 

You can get a pretty good picture simply by running a search for δε and then use the Table or Table Chart to see average # of hits.

Then run a search for και and do the same thing.

Or, if you want something more graphical, use the Hits graph. Run one search, use the Keep function, run the second search.

Whatever way you do it, it is quite clear how Mark and Revelation use και far more frequently than the other books use δε.

dekai.png