Ethiopic word search (or any search) broken

Robert Holmstedt

I cannot get any word or flex search to work in the Ethiopic (Ge'ez)_ Mahibere Hawariyat module. Even when I avoid using my own Ethiopic keyboard layout for entry and use the Enter Words menu and choose a word from those listed, the search does not work. The only search that works is when I right-click on a word and use the Search In feature. (But as wonderful as that feature is, it also means that I have to start with a known word in its location and that isn't always what I need.)

Thanks!

It's working for me, so it looks like it has something to do with your installation. Until tech support responds, you might want to:

1) Restart Accordance while holding down the option key and select "clean up installed fonts"

2) Make sure you're running the latest version of Accordance (13.3.2)

Mark

Edited by Mark Allison

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, the restart/clean-up didn't work (and I'm on 13.3.2).

So, just to be clear -- you can insert Ethiopic into the search bar and it returns results? All I get is the message "There are no verses in the current range of [this text] which fit the current search entry". This is true even if I use a single Ethiopic character. Even when a word pops up in the entry bar as I'm typing and I choose a listed word, such as ፈነወ, the search won't return any results (and this is a very common verb). Ok, as I do more testing, some work (like the 1cp pronoun ንሕነ), but then others are only partially correct -- try this one: ንሕዮ. I get two hits (2 Chr 9:2 and 1 John 4:8, but only the latter is correct -- see screenshot below).

I tested the pre-release version of this module and these basic searches worked. Then, since the actual release, they haven't. I'm only now getting around to mentioning it (been busy!). It'd be great if someone sorted it out.

Thanks!

1729483106_ScreenShot2021-11-10at2_51_09PM.thumb.png.378a94055824248bec11688c65bdf89d.png

Hi Robert,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I got results very similar to what you have reported. I will file a report with the programming team on this.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

I'm having the same problem Robert reported (using 13.3.3). I tried Mark's suggestion (restart, clean up fonts) without success. 

Has any effort been made to identify the source of the problem? Are other people, in addition to Mark, able to run successful searches? It might be helpful if other users of the Ethiopic/Ge'ez modules could run a search for ንሕዮ and report whether they are getting the same results as Robert and myself (2 Chr 9:2 and 1 John 4:8).