Any Upcoming Optimizations for the New Apple Hardware (M1 MacBook pros)?

wickius

Greetings everyone!  I recently bought a new MacBook Pro, and about the only thing I intend to use it for is Accordance!  I realize that the processor may be "overkill" (or, is it?!  Let me know if I'm wrong!), but I really wanted the new 16" display.

Also, let me know what you guys have thought about the new hardware and your Accordance experience therewith.

One specific question I have is: Does Accordance currently take advantage of the 120 hz refresh rate (Promotion)?  It does not seem like it does to me.  One of my biggest "problems" that I have with using Accordance is that scrolling through text is slightly jerky/laggy and is really irksome on my eyes for extended periods of time.  Considering that that is what I spend 98% of my time doing in Accordance, I would be very excited if there were any upcoming plans to optimize this experience!  FYI, I am running 13.3.2 (i.e. native to Apple silicon).  Thanks!

• Like 1

A general answer to your question. So I have learned about Accordance. Likely not before 14.1. 

@wickius, those Macs are so new, I doubt any of our devs have one yet. I'm sure there will eventually be an update forthcoming, but I wouldn't know a time frame just yet. No, @Fabian, it would not necessarily have to wait until 14.x. It will ultimately depend on how difficult it is to adapt Accordance to the higher frame rate.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Guys, to both of you for your replies!  This would be one of the single greatest quality of life improvements for me: anything that can improve the "readability" experience of Accordance would be tremendously impactful.  As many Accordance users do, I frequently spend long periods of time reading text from the app (as mentioned above, I virtually only use my computer for Accordance), and an increase in framerate would be a wonderful, and welcomed upgrade.

Love you guys and am so thankful to God for your hard work!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 4:42 PM, R. Mansfield said:

@wickius, those Macs are so new, I doubt any of our devs have one yet. I'm sure there will eventually be an update forthcoming, but I wouldn't know a time frame just yet. No, @Fabian, it would not necessarily have to wait until 14.x. It will ultimately depend on how difficult it is to adapt Accordance to the higher frame rate.

Not only the frame rate. Also the use of all cores are necessary. Same as Affinity had all their product updated to get the  most of the new Apple silicon Pro and Max.

I'm really excited to see Accordance optimized for this hardware!

For example, I wish Accordance on the desktop app could function as smoothly as reading text on the iOS app: I recently upgraded to an iPhone 13 max, and the text is buttery smooth (refresh rate, scrolling, everything is great).  I just want that for the MacBook!

Keep up the great work, folks!!

Hi @wickius,

I am kind of nervous to even say anything since it is very possible that you are referring to something else, but with that as a preface... I am using the M1 also and I am not noticing any "jumping" with Accordance. I use Accordance roughly 13-18 hours a day 7x a week and scrolling and such works fine. It makes me wonder if it would help looking at the Mac trackpad settings and messing with it?

Full disclosure, I am using a mouse with this specific computer, but I have also owned Macbooks and I am aware that there are a lot of settings concerning the speed and sensitivity of the trackpad that can be adjusted. (I would also highly recommend taking a screenshot of the trackpad settings before you change anything, as I know from experience that may become useful....).

Kristin

• Like 2

Kristin — are you using the new MacBook Pro released in the last two months?  I believe the OP is referring to the new 120hz displays which are exclusive to these latest MacBook Pros (and not all or older M1s - even the older M1 MBP).  That said, I have a brand new 120hz MBP (with the M1 Max) — and it definitely is much smoother on the new MBP than on my admittedly aging 15" 5K iMac...  I mean, I'm not sure I would call it buttery smooth, but it looks pretty good on the M1 Max MBP particularly compared to the prior generation hardware... 

As a dev, I haven't looked closely, but I assume you get 120hz for free in apps with no coding changes required.  The only question is if the scrolling routines can operate at 120fps — but that's more of a generic tuning issue than anything specific to the new Macs.   

Yeah, Kristin and Rich, I'm referring to the 120 hz refresh rate.  I'm not saying that Accordance is bad, it's just after having used the new refresh rates in other apps (and on my iPhone Accordance app), it's hard not to notice it now on the desktop.  Just shamelessly spoiled, I guess.  Lol.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I don’t have one of the new machines, but I believe Accordance 13 is Universal (so it is at least Apple Silicon native now). Future optimizations would always be fun.