Apocryphal Apocalyses Incomplete? Table of Contents? Introduction?

Enoch

I was looking today at the module Apocryphal Apocalyses, but in my memory this should have the Dormition of Mary, which I did not find. Neither did I find a table of contents, nor the introductory material written by Tischendorf.  Is this an incomplete module?  I wonder why no table of contents or introduction is included.  Thanks for your help.

For more information about the Apocryphal Apocalypses module, see this section in the Accordance Read Me module. 

Refresh my memory on the Dormition of Mary text--does it ever go by another name?

C. Tischendorf: Apocalypses Apocryphae

corrected: Apocryphes Apokalupseis

elsewhere: Apocryphal Apocalypses

; Mariae dormitio

αποκρυφες

αποκαλυψεις

The Account of St. John the Theologian
of the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God

The Transitus Mariæ
The Account of St. John the Theologian
of the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God

AS THE ALL-HOLY glorious Mother of God and ever-virgin Mary, as was her wont, was going to the holy tomb of our Lord to burn incense, and bending her holy knees, she was importunate that Christ our God who had been born of her should return to her. And the Jews, seeing her lingering by the divine sepulchre, came to the chief priests, saying: Mary goes every day to the tomb. And the chief priests, having summoned the guards set by them not to allow any one to pray at the holy sepulchre, inquired about her, whether in truth it were so. And the guards answered and said that they had seen no such thing, God having not allowed them to see her when there. And on one of the days, it being the preparation, the holy Mary, as was her wont, came to the sepulchre; and while she was praying, it came to pass that the heavens were opened, and the archangel Gabriel came down to her and said: Hail, thou that didst bring forth Christ our God! Thy prayer having come through to the heavens to Him who was born of thee, has been accepted; and from this time, according to thy request, thou having left the world, shall go to the heavenly places to thy Son, into the true and everlasting life.

And having heard this from the holy archangel, she returned to holy Bethlehem, having along with her three virgins who ministered unto her. And after having rested a short

9 minutes ago, Enoch said:

I clicked on your link & was greeted by this screen:

I have no idea why. Try accord://read/Read_Me-Modules#107 instead.

5 minutes ago, Enoch said:

AS THE ALL-HOLY glorious Mother of God and ever-virgin Mary, as was her wont, was going to the holy tomb of our Lord to burn incense...

That same text is in the Schaff series here: accord://read/CF-AN#71768

The Dormition of Mary (which title I think is used at the section of Tischendorf's book) is interesting because it has the Greek word ἀποστασία (departure) in it in reference to a Rapture, a short hop rapture, like that of Philip in Acts, which Rapture is a divinely assisted transportation to Jerusalem (like Scotty, beam me up).  It is an example of apostasia used for a literal departure instead of a figurative departure (religious apostasy).   This ancient document makes a contribution to the lexicography of apostasia. Thus those interested in interpreting apostasia in 2 Thes 2, may be interested in the Dormition of Mary document.

Ἐρωτῶμεν δὲ ὑμᾶς, ἀδελφοί, ὑπὲρ τῆς παρουσίας τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ καὶ ἡμῶν ἐπισυναγωγῆς ἐπ’ αὐτὸν εἰς τὸ μὴ ταχέως σαλευθῆναι ὑμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ νοὸς μηδὲ θροεῖσθαι, μήτε διὰ πνεύματος μήτε διὰ λόγου μήτε δι’ ἐπιστολῆς ὡς δι’ ἡμῶν, ὡς ὅτι ἐνέστηκεν ἡ ἡμέρα τοῦ κυρίου· μή τις ὑμᾶς ἐξαπατήσῃ κατὰ μηδένα τρόπον. ὅτι ἐὰν μὴ ἔλθῃ ἡ ἀποστασία πρῶτον . . .

It appears to me that the Accordance module is missing part of the Apocrypha Apokalypses (typo in my original title of this discussion).

Just now, Enoch said:

It appears to me that the Accordance module is missing part of the Apocrypha Apokalypses (typo in my original title of this discussion).

Well, that collection was a project of Craig Evans, not a straight port of Tischendorf. So it was basically whatever Evans wanted to include.

But Schaff won't have it in Greek, thus it doesn't help lexicographical study much.  In view of its lexicographical importance, do you think that Accordance should add in the Dormition of Mary to this module?  It is not all that long. And in fact the entire Tischendorf book is thin.

Here is the Rapture passage in English translation:

"The apostles therefore rose up immediately, and went forth from the house, carrying the bed of the Lady the mother of God, and directed their course to Jerusalem; and immediately, as the Holy Spirit had said, being lifted up by a cloud, they were found in Jerusalem in the horse of the Lady. "

"Horse" is in the translation I pasted; obviously a humorous typo.

Edited by Enoch

4 minutes ago, Enoch said:

But Schaff won't have it in Greek, thus it doesn't help lexicographical study much.  In view of its lexicographical importance, do you think that Accordance should add in the Dormition of Mary to this module?  It is not all that long. And in fact the entire Tischendorf book is thin.

I mean, I, personally, think it would be great. We'd have to get it morphologically tagged like the other texts, though. And it might have to be separate since the others are tied to Dr. Evans' work.

accord://read/Read_Me-Modules#107

Sorry, but I don't know how to use that information.  Do I put that in the library search pane? That string does not look like a URL.

I found a Read-Me which seems relevant. However, that Read-me seems to indicate that Evans' book is not the Tischendorf book, but contains 4 sections from that book, with other things not having come from Tischendorf's book. So I am thinking that perhaps the title of the Accordance Module is in error and should be entitled something like: An Anthology of Ancient "Early Church" Documents Including Parts of Tischendorf's Apocrypha Collection.

Edited by Enoch

1 minute ago, Enoch said:

accord://read/Read_Me-Modules#107

Sorry, but I don't know how to use that information.  Do I put that in the library search pane? That string does not look like a URL.

Unfortunately, it's not a hyperlink in the forums. But you can copy it and paste it into the research field in the toolbar, and it will take you to an exact location. 

https://archive.org/details/apocalypsesapocr02tiscuoft/page/95/mode/1up

has the Greek text.

This work may have more raptures per square inch than any other ancient document. For example,

V 6 του πνευ'- ματος του αγίου άρπάσαντός με δια νεφέλης άπο Εφέσου has a preliminary short Rapture of John here. Then Peter has a Rapture (point to point landing on earth):

και ιδού νεφέλη φωτός ήρπασέν με,

Then the rapture of Mary & the apostles to Jerusalem is referred to as an apostasia: vs 33

ήγνόει γάρ ό χιλίαρχος την των αποστόλων και της μητρός τοΰ κυρίου άποστασίαν την είς  Ιερουσαλήμ.

I think the above considerations make this indeed something which Accordance should have in that module (or at least as a module).  The Accordance module is simply great in its structure, allowing parallel reading of Greek & English with instant details on the Greek and even an interlinear provided! 

Sorry R, that I don't know what toolbar you refer to for pasting that string. Do you mean the search window in Accordance? That yields like "no such book as Accord". Under Amplify there is a research item in the menu, but it is greyed out. Trying again, for some reason the Research menu item was no longer greyed out, but after I entered your string it in, it spent a long time looking (as it were), & I got "these words were not found."

Edited by Enoch

If you have your toolbar visible, you can paste an Accordance URL into the Research field at the top right and it will automatically go to that link.

image.png

• Thanks 2

Thanks for pointing that out Rick. I am sure I have used this in the past, but my memory these days is a sieve. 

—Joseph the Forgetful

This "tool bar"? I have no such pane visible. How do I make it visible?

After a few minutes: I found a show tool bar at the bottom of the Windows menu.  I clicked on show tool bar, but no pane appeared into which

I could past anything.  I did discover that whenever I right click on the tool bar, Accordance 13 crashes!

After a few minutes: On the tool bar there is a horizontal menu in which Research is the last word to the right.  I clicked on that & a pane appeared, a search pane.  I entered the string you recommended & got this response, after a lot of search activity:

"These words were not found in any of the tools or texts requested."  So I have yet to find anyway to use the string you recommended to profit.

Edited by Enoch

Although I thought it worked in 12, are you still running that version, Enoch?

Rick this problem is in Acc-13. I have changed to using 13 mostly now, since I have had so many problems with 12.  12 was working fine for me. When I originally upgraded to 13, I forget now why, but it seemed to me that 12 was better for me.  But now I have so many problems with 12 that I am forced to use 13.  My guess is that when I upgraded certain modules after 13 came out, those upgrades had a problem with 12.  So I am also thinking that once one is happy with a version of Accordance, one should not upgrade any modules in it after a newer version comes out.  Another issue could be that I continue using Yosemite since my MS Ergonomic Keyboard's special functions do not work after Yosemite.  Thus far I have not been able to get your special Accord system (should I call it Accordance URL?) to work at all by any means.  I have been unable to get a good result from pasting into the Research window such a string.  The Research window has specifiers: the first one is English, but English is not the only specifier I tried.  You didn't indicate which specifier to use.

@Enoch, to my knowledge, we've not released any updates to modules that required a newer version of Accordance. Regardless, I don't know why you can't paste the location URL into the research field. Perhaps it is an issue with Yosemite. I don't know.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:05 PM, R. Mansfield said:

I have no idea why. Try accord://read/Read_Me-Modules#107 instead.

@R. Mansfield, my phone (iOS 15.0.2) doesn’t like the accordance.bible SSL certificate lately either. Safari shows this today:

F5536E58-1EAB-417F-B607-B02335172494.jpeg.7f36b2140323d7f3203dd3854771de81.jpeg
Looking at the certificate quickly, it seems that the problem is that the server name doesn’t match: accordance.bible is trying to use an SSL certificate for accordancebible.com.

Edited by jlm
Corrected iOS version

I see this banner since I upgraded to Monterey with AdGuard activated. Apple.com is only website that functions, with enabled AdGuard. 

It works with Firefox.